cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

ftk
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600g at max clock speed when gaming

Recently i bought an used ryzen 5 5600g and i was using it completely fine, yesterday i formatted my ssd and when i went to play some games i noticed that the clock speed was always at 4.3-4.4 ghz, notice that i never touched anything on the BIOS or anything like that, just enabled DOCP but it wasn't really necessary because my rams are running @2666mhz, so i disabled it. 

Does anyone knows why this is happening? I've tried lowering the maximum processor state in the battery options but it didn't affect it. It only goes to max when i'm playing, on idle it "obeys" the maximum processor state.

Any help is appreciated. (sorry for gramatical errors, english is not my first language)

0 Likes
6 Replies
Axxemann
Forerunner

What game are you playing? The 5600G has integrated graphics, so it's pulling double duty, along with certain games being more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. And enable the DOCP/XMP. It'll actually bring your RAM up to their advertised operating speed.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Pretty much i've been playing subnautica and league of legends, sometimes fortnite or csgo, but nothing that is really cpu/gpu demanding, and my rams are hyperx fury 2666mhz, so i don't think enabling docp would make a difference, right? Another thing that i noticed, when i type/select text my cursor sometimes kind of flickers, this didn't happen before i formatted, i dont know what is the issue with that 

0 Likes

If there's anything in BIOS to make it go faster, ALWAYS make it go faster.

And with a 5600, you really want 3200-3600mhz RAM.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

In addition to @Axxemann response, formatting your SSD shouldn't impact your processor performance/speed. About your RAM and DOCP; is your memory kit (RAM) capable of running at higher speeds, is it overclockable? If so, take advantage of it by enabling it.  

Look at the game's minimum requirements too. It should give you an idea of the type of processor/speed it requires. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

@Sam_AMD would the 5600G be able to take advantage of Smart Access Memory/ like the RDNA GPUs? I'm kind of sad I can't enable SAM for my RX570 to keep me afloat until I can get my hands on a new GPU.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Hello @Axxemann 

Sorry for the late response, I've been sick all week (yak - flu, cold, allergies, you name it)

To answer your question, Smart Access Memory (SAM) reduces bottlenecks by allowing the CPU to access a larger portion of the discrete GPU VRAM. In the case described here of gaming on the 5600G internal graphics, there is no discrete GPU involved, so the Smart Access Memory scenario does not apply. All of the 5600G data for both CPU and internal GPU is stored in system memory. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes