cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

TaloX
Journeyman III

Running GPU with APU: Helpful or Hurtful?

Hello all! I’m new to the forum but looking forward to getting help with an issue I’ve been having. 

I recently bought new hardware (MB, RAM, CPU) to play Hell Divers 2 with my brothers. Not every time I play does this critical error occur, but once it does happen, it keeps happening for the rest of the night.  

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max Wifi 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600GT with Radeon Graphics 3.60 GHz 

RAM: T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 

GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series 

Here is the critical error 

Log Name:      System 

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 

Date:          8/14/2024 8:18:23 PM 

Event ID:      41 

Task Category: (63) 

Level:         Critical 

Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2) 

User:          SYSTEM 

Computer:      Malygos 

Description: 

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could have been caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. 

I finished with some troubleshooting, like reseating my RAM and GPU, I also moved my GPU to the PCI-E1 from E3. 

I was wondering if my APU is butting heads with my GPU. I’ve never had an APU before, is this something I need to be worried about or enable some kind of crossfire? 

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any aid that can be offered. 

1 Reply
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm not sure the error you are seeing is caused by internal graphics conflicting with the external graphics (GPU), but I usually disable the internal graphics in the BIOS when I have an external GPU plugged in.  I would do that and also more your GPU back to the number one PCIe slot.  You can also check to see if that PCIe slot is set to PCIe 3.0 or 4.0.  Your GPU doesn't require the bandwidth of PCIe 4.0, so you might change it to 3.0 and see if the problem continues to happen.

Also, check that all Windows Updates are installed and that none have failed.  There have been problems with a few Windows 10 updates recently.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes