Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

5900x
Journeyman III

Processor upgrade

Hi all,

I have purchased a 5900x cpu to upgrade my existing 5600x. I got an asus x570 gaming plus MB and i have updated it to the latest bios in preparation for the upgrade. The ram is a 32gb 3600mhz fury.

My question is do i need to do anything after switching to the new processor? Many thanks.

New to the forum so if there is already a similar thread please post the link. Thank you.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Do a CLEAR CMOS after installing the new processor to make sure that BIOS recognizes it correctly.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hi @5900x (hello @elstaci )

No, not really, switching CPUs should be that simple.

But just a friendly reminder (tip), when removing the fan from the existing CPU, don't pull on it as the thermal paste may have "glued" the fan to it. Simply put, let the PC run a little, let it get warm, then turn it off and gently wiggle (side to side or counterclockwise) the fan, and slowly pull it off. This way, you can ensure you don't bend any of the pins of the CPU you're removing. 

By the way, did you know that your processors (both the 5600x and 5900x) can be "tweaked" by using the following technologies?

AMD Smart Access Memory

AMD Ryzen Master Utility (for Overclocking) 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Do i need to tweak anything on bios or just plug and play.

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Technically, no, you don't. Just plug and play away... 😎

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

@5900x with Ryzen Master you can overclock right in windows without using bios, but to use S.M.A.R.T access memory, you'll need to go into your bios and make sure Resizable BAR is turned on. Otherwise, it will not work. I can walk you through turning it on if want to PM me. Cheers

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED