Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

johnnyenglish
Big Boss

No one is talking about 9950X

After some vacations.. I'm back.

But I wonder... Why no one is talking about the 9950X, even though the headlines are looking pretty hyped right now.

Seems like its gonna be a blast like the 7950X did.

Lets see a 16core X3D this time? Really curious if it scales well 😁

johnnyenglish_1-1721135564203.png

johnnyenglish_0-1721135545083.png

The Englishman
34 Replies
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Oh, I can't wait to talk about it! Just need to wait a liiiitle longer to do it officially. 😅

Tease.  🤣

You can look but don't touch. 

I know a lot but can't say anything..... 

Since you can't tell us officially, what about unofficially🤣

AsRock x670E Taichi Carrara, 6 tb of WD850 Black, CORSAIR - DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 32GB, 7800x3d, XFX - Mercury AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Magnetic Air

😁

I'll wait.

Is there any official presentation on the new Curve Shaper? If not, I'll wait for that too 😂

The Englishman
ThreeDee
Paragon

How dare you defile this forum with LTT stuff!!!!11

I watched the Gamers Nexus video as the AMD guys just nonchalantly broke a bunch of benchmark records .. very nice

My daughter might have to inherit my 7800X3D once the 9000X3D chips get released .. hopefully thee ol' pocket book let's me pass it on anyways  

ThreeDee PC specs
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm more interested in the 12-core X3D version of the 9000 series.  I hope these CPUs will work with all the existing AM5 motherboards (with a BIOS update).  I expect some features won't be available until you get the new chipset version motherboards though.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
AgCN3
Adept III

Yeah, I'm also very interested in how the 9800X3D is going to perform.  Still though, probably going to hold off on upgrading for another generation or so.  The rig I just built last year is prefect for what I use it for.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's so hard to not try the latest and greatest.  Same thing with video cards and storage devices.  I guess it's an obsession of mine.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

I mean, the big issue with the Ryzen 9 7950X was that it was pushed way out of its efficiency curve to compete with Intel.  The chips performance hit was under 10% even if you cut 60W from the TDP.  Now, they don't need to push it as hard.

I imagine it still has the same soldered IHS though, which means there are probably big gains to be had with direct die cooling.

That is true, the penalty for reducing overall power at stock levels is not that much, reducing both average temperatures and power comsuption. But its good to know that raw power is there.

In the meanwhile you can use some workarounds when you have it dialed down to push it back up during certain loads. Like curve optimizer and other board tricks that some vendors allow. On top of my mind comes the Dynamic OC Switcher. Handy when you want to push multi core for multi core workloads.

The Englishman
Rockywhu
Elite

9950X better than my 7950X3D for gaming ?

Not sure since my 7900XTX is already at max usage.... so is their any point in a 9950X3D ??

3rd party benchmarks will tell me soon enough

B650 AORUS PRO AX, RYZEN 9 7950X3D, SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX, CORSAIR VENGENCE RGB PRO 32GB RAM, CORSAIR RM750x 80 PLUS GOLD 750W
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I agree with your point.  I would wait to see what the next line of video cards has to offer.

Yes I wasn't planning to upgrade my CPU, i'll check the 9000X3Ds for gaming scores & I can only see minimal gains for gaming at 4K or none at all being GPU bound

AMD have said themselves for gaming the 7000X3Ds will still be stronger for gaming, bit of a ?? for 9000X3Ds

I'm not buying the 9000X's as i'll stick to the X3Ds for what I need.

8000 series GPUs was probably my next upgrade if RT is really stronger but i'm pretty happy with my 7900XTX, so not really in any rush

B650 AORUS PRO AX, RYZEN 9 7950X3D, SAPPHIRE RX 7900 XTX, CORSAIR VENGENCE RGB PRO 32GB RAM, CORSAIR RM750x 80 PLUS GOLD 750W

I think the 9950X will be comparable in gaming but with better productivity/encoding scores.  So it will be better in dual use machines.  The problem is the X3D 9000 variants will be comparable in productivity encode and then better in gaming again.

Of course, if you are gaming at 4K, then you will likely be GPU bound and every single CPU will be exactly the same.

Yeah that's exactly my thinking

I game at 4K & unless these 8000 series GPUs are a lot better i'm just not sure how a stronger CPU works for me lol

reutech
Adept II

I'm looking forward to picking up a couple of the 9950x.  Will this be a midnight release or some other time? 

I'm very excited.
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

AMD..... Take my money! lol

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

I'll be putting up an official post with more information tomorrow, but ICYMI

Ryzen9000.jfif

😁

reutech
Adept II

I'm liking what the first two CPUs do at 65 Watts, that's some impressive performance per watt.

I'm very excited.
reutech
Adept II

9950x Ordered.  I got the 7950x on launch day as well.  There were some software updates that needed to happen with that chip before my OS could make the best use of the hardware and I'm expecting the same from the 9950x.  It's the price early adopters pay. 

My 7950x is destined for one of this year's Barbara Bush Childrens Hospital Extralite 2024 PC.  I'll have more on that topic on a month or so. 9950x.jpg  For anyone waiting, feel free to ask me about an application you're curious about.

I'm very excited.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Oh, that's gonna be an awesome machine.

When you start building it, I want to see lots of pictures too!

0 Likes

This wont be as visually interesting since I'm upgrading from a 7950X.  In a month or so I'll be building TWO AMD CPU and GPU based gaming PCs though.  I'll be sure to share all that.  Here's the box I'm Upgrading.

Currently

7950x

ASUS TUF X670E Gaming Wifi PLUS

48GB DDR7200 running some tuned timings for 1:1 on the CFLK

2TB PCIe5 SSD

2TB PCIe4 SSD

10Gbit Intel X710DA2 Nic

GeForce RTX 4090 (Sorry, I promise my other large workstation has a Radeon in it.)

Not Pictured Dell U4025QW Display

SMS SU-1 DAC with Schidt Magni Headphone AMP

9950x 1.jpg

I'm very excited.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

A very powerful machine already.  You should run some benchmarks now and then after you get the new CPU installed so that you can access the upgrade value.  Be sure to have the new CPU properly set up with updated BIOS and the needed tweaks (if any) so it runs well.  

0 Likes

I'll be sure to do that and share the results!  

I'm very excited.

That Suprim looks so good. Very powerful runner ya got there, bruh.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
reutech
Adept II

It HAS ARRIVED!!!!  I've also made sure to get enough thermal grease to coat both sides!  (Calm down I'm kidding) I've also attached a passmark test after updating my bios and drivers to the latest for the 7950x.  I'll be back later after i do the upgrade and tweak my settings for the 9950x.456451035_10159638957541642_3563820337847847700_n.jpgkpx.jpgnew bios 8_16_2024.jpg

I'm very excited.

@reutech wrote:

I've also made sure to get enough thermal grease to coat both sides! 

Jay created a monster with that clip. 😉

Performance over Pretty.
ajlueke
Grandmaster

So based on the reviews I am seeing it looks like the 9950X is sub 10% faster than the 7950X except in AVX-512 workloads where the full 512-Bit data path makes it superior to any CPU on the market.

eebiii
Forerunner

You said you would be back later to update. That was on Monday. 

J/k... but I do need to see some stats! I want to pull the trigger but might wait for x3d. 

No rush, just hurry up! 

lol

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yea, it's not like we have patience or anything.  Time is money as they say.  Prices change on a daily basis sometimes.  On a side note, so does our credit rating......

0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

Unless it's an X3D SKU, I'm really not that interested anymore. And I'm running everything incredibly well on my 5800X3D. I've also heard a lot of AM5/RDNA3 Helldivers have been having crash problems. I don't. Not broke, no need to fix. 😉

Performance over Pretty.
reutech
Adept II

Sorry for the delay all!  I've had a LONG work week.  I'm making some lunch and then I'm going to settle in for some stress testing and tweaking.  My go to benchmarks are passmark, cinbench r23, and some stuff from the 3D Mark suite.  Are there other benches you all like to run?

I'm very excited.

Here are three results: The PassMark score of 17819 corresponds to my 7950X.  The score of 18151 was while using Nitro for RAM and an FCLK of 2100. The PassMark score of 18007 from my 9950X. Both systems are equipped with 48GB of DDR5 7200 memory, running on a DOCP II profile. I suspect that running my Infinity Fabric at a 2:1 ratio for stability might be affecting overall performance.  The higher Fclk used in the 2nd pasmark test seems to lower my PCIe5 SSDs throughput, need to tinker with that some.

For cooling, I’m using a Corsair H115i Elite with Noctua NT-H2 thermal paste. I previously used Kingpin KPX, but I discovered that it’s better suited for more exotic cooling solutions like LN2.

When transcoding video, this CPU a little faster and draws about 30 watts less from the wall at full load. I’m currently running a preview of Windows 11 24H2 along with the latest X670E chipset drivers.

I didn’t purchase this CPU specifically for gaming, although I do game on the side.  I'm getting what I expected based on past experience. I'd like to have a word with the ad people on their advertised numbers since I think it made a lot of people set some unrealistic expectations this generation.  I use this machine to earn income.  I paid for a CPU that's fast and stable, and that's what I got.   I’m planning to repurpose my 7950X in one of two PCs I’m building for the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital as part of ExtraLife 2024.cinbenchg R23.jpgNo tweaks.jpgnitro RAM and 2100Fclk.jpgnew bios 8_16_2024.jpg

I'm very excited.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Great numbers and a very successful build.  You are running Windows 11 24H2 preview and the next thing to try is the 'Admin mode' once it's available.  Read this article.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

So below is my Ryzen 9 7950X3D at the default 120W with no PBO.  I think I may hold off for the 9950X3D which will have the increased cache as well as the full AVX-512 datapath along with most of the other performance improvements.  In all likelihood however, I'll be waiting until Zen 6 to make any upgrades.  

My Ryzen 9 7950X3D at the default 120W, no PBO.My Ryzen 9 7950X3D at the default 120W, no PBO.