cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

tonii_v1
Adept I

Need help with some specs for Memory Rams

Hi Guys i'm new here btw Happy New Year to everyone. Im making a little upgrade on my PC, first this was my old build: Ryzen 5 3600, 2060, Tridentz 2x8(16gb) 3600 cl18.

And this is my newbuild NO rgb btw lmao: Ryzen 5 5600, 6650xt and im looking to upgrade the rams to 2x16(32gb). I want to know wich one is better for that mid tier build (brand, speed, etc) . I should go for 3600? Or 3200? Wich CL too. I'll be appreciated with you guys!

16 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

Does your motherboard support the 3600MHz?  Specs on the Ryzen 5 5600 are DDR4 3200 (base, OC can go higher).  It all depends on the motherboard and CPU support.  Since this would probably be your last AM4 build, I would not go too far overboard.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

I has a MOBO Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 with Bios updated to P4.30 (to be able to install the 5600) i see the specs now and is supported to 3200, anything greater that that will be OC. I mean, if I had 3600 rams for 3 years that never oc, does that mean they always ran at 3200? Lmao, btw i have never OC any part of my PC.

0 Likes

No, have you enabled XMP?  If you enable XMP (in the BIOS) they usually will give a couple of preset choices with one of them meeting the maximum speed of the RAM.

If you've never overclocked the RAM is a good place to do it.  I feel that is the most beneficial and easiest to perform.  Just make sure the system is stable after you overclock the RAM by running stress test, Cinebench, Unigen Superposition, etc.  If it crashes then reset the BIOS.

No i never work with the BIOS before, at least for the BIOS update only and i never touch anything else lol i think i ever play 3200 haha. To be honest I'm afraid to give OC to things, I prefer to leave them factory. That's why I've never done it, but if I always ran at 3200, it doesn't bother me. So I would buy 3200 rams so as not to spend the money unnecessarily like 3 years ago.

0 Likes

for the 3000 and 5000 series AMD Processors the "Sweet Spot" for RAM speed is 3600Mhz.

So I would purchase a Set of 32GB RAM @3600Mhz.

as for Case Latency of the RAM depends on what you are planning on using the PC for.

This explain tersely what Case Latency means:

When the memory frequency is the same, the lower the CL, the shorter the latency time will be, and the less time the computer has to wait to read the memory data, which means the better the performance.Jun 23, 2022

Case Latency means
:

CL means cas latency, it tells you how many clock cycles it takes for a certain piece of data to be available after the memory controller requested it from the RAM.Feb 8, 2017

I'll be running 3600 on my old build but i never OC or activated the XMP thing i just thing that i ever play 3200 because is the limit on the AsRock x570 without OC.

Depends on the RAM you are using.

Generally the BIOS will run any RAM installed while on "Default Settings" to its SPD RAM speed and not its RAM native speed unless the SPD Speed is the same as its native RAM speed.

I also purchased G-Skill Trident NEO RGB 3600Mhz RAM but in BIOS Default settings it runs at its SPD speed which is less than 3000Mhz.

So I needed to overclock in BIOS the speed from SPD to its native RAM speed of 3600Mhz which my Asus Motherboard supports.

As mentioned by @Vynski your Motherboard BIOS should have XMP profiles that you can choose to enable. These XMP Profiles will automatically overclock your RAM Speed to its native speed without you having to do anything else.

You can just let your RAM speed run at its SPD speed in BIOS, but your PC and processor won't be as efficient in performance if you do.

I had tridentz 3600 and my motherboard only runs 3200, can more if oc. If I put 2x16(32gb) at 3600 and activate xmp so that it runs at its native speed of 3600, will the pc have better performance? Because i never turn on that things before.

Yes, For Ryzen 3000 & 5000 series processors "Sweet Spot" or Speed as which the PC will run at its optimum performance with a AMD Processor is at 3600mhz.

Ryzen 2000 series processors "Sweet Spot" is at 3200Mhz as an example only.

This Tom's Hardware article explains about the AMD "Sweet Spot" for the 5000 series processors: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

NOTE: Just about all latest AMD AM4 Motherboards supports XMP or Overclocking RAM in BIOS.

Let me see if my MOBO supports XMP i see some people who turn on xmp for 3600 and it does not boot the pc. I think that with my asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 3200 it would be the best if I didn't want boot problems. Anyway, I'll look deeper in the asrock forum to be more sure. Thank you all really, I'm already understanding more than I knew in all this. I let you know what i found.

it does.

Ok i decided go for the 3600 CL18 because i no difference between CL16. Wich brand is a good choise (no Rgb)? I see the ripjawsv from gskill, the OLOy Owl Dark and the Kingston Fury (this one came cl16) or another one? 

0 Likes

GSKIL Ripjaws or Corsair Vengence have always been my only choices.  Some of the newer ones like OLOy may just need to go through the process of developing a good name with quality.   I've had some problems with Kingston USB keys.  It seems like any thing over 32GB has a tendency to not perform very well.  You shouldn't see much difference in price for well known brand names and the discount crap.  There is a topic on the forum concerning the GSKIL RAM.  Try looking in the Parts Recommendations group.

I run Ripjaws in my rig. No issues. Corsair Vengeance LPX is good, too. Usually within $5 of the Ripjaws. I hear good things about Team Group, but they're not available to me locally. Kingston is another failsafe bet, I've run Kingston on all my older builds, and still use their SATA SSDs.

Anecdote: G.Skill used to be trash RAM. It wasn't until I had a dead stick of Kingston on my old AM3+ rig (that one went from Athlon II to Phenom II to FX in the span of 18 months then ran the FX until I retired it a few months ago) and the Corsair RAM kits were out of stock at my local shop. They had plenty of G.Skill kits. I voiced my concerns about the stuff, and the head tech came up to me and invited me "Behind the Curtain" to the testing area. Two of the 3 test benches were running G.Skill. He told me if I got a bad kit, he'd personally buy me replacements of anything I wanted. That RAM kit still sits on that motherboard after 7 years. TBH, I think the trash RAM stigma only really applied to their DDR2, and that was about the time they started making RAM. The DDR3 is solid. The DDR4 is solid. When I move to DDR5 on my next build, I'll be looking hard at more G.Skill, but will buy whatever is cheapest for what I need, and could boil down to what's on sale that day at the shop.

Performance over Pretty.

Thank you so much for all that info bro! I really appreciated. I'll go for the RipjawsV i think is the best way to price per performance. 3600mhz with the XMP and i will fine 🙏

You should be. Glad you found my insights somewhat useful. I've been around the block a few times and I've been building and modding PCs for the last 20 years or so.

Performance over Pretty.