cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

flyafar
Journeyman III

m.2 SSD often disappears after standby resume

This was extremely disruptive as the only solution was to reboot the PC until I discovered a workaround. Running the AMD autodetect drivers application seems to force the system to detect the missing drive and reinitialize it. It otherwise doesn't appear in windows explorer or the disk management tool whatsoever, but once the driver utility scans my hardware, the drive pops up as connected and functions completely normally. I've reseated it multiple times but the issue persists.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid this problem altogether, so I'm posting here to see if anyone has a similar problem or has a better solution.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus x670e-e strix gaming wifi w/ 2403 (latest) BIOS and latest chipset drivers

CPU: Ryzen 7950x3d

Ram: G.Skill Flare X 2x32GB DDR5-6000

GPU: ASUS Nvidia RTX 4080

Storage: 2x Samsung 980 PRO 2TB m.2 SSDs in slots m2_1 (this is the one that frequently disappears) and m2_3 (OS Drive), 2x 870 EVO 4TB SATA SSDs, 2x Seagate IronWolf 8TB HDDs

PSU: Corsair RM850x

3 Replies
FunkZ
Grandmaster

Check Windows Power & Sleep settings to make sure that the power profile you are using does not have the "hard drive" set to sleep.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
flyafar
Journeyman III

Oh, does that apply to SSDs as well? I thought it only allowed mechanical drives to shut down to reduce wear and tear. I'll give that a try. It's weird that none of my other drives disappear, if that's the issue.

EDIT: Apparently it was already set to never allow the drives to sleep, since I use process lasso and the power profile is set to "Bitsum Highest Performance". I appreciate the suggestion though!

I see by your Asus Motherboard Specs that M.2-1 through M.2-3 slots are enabled by the CPU (supports PCIe 5.0 x4 mode) while M.2_4 (PCIe 4.0 mode) is enabled by the AMD Chipset.

Looking at your Asus QVL LIST for Devices it doesn't show any Samsung M.2 drives.

According to Samsung concerning the 980 Pro w/ Heatsink PCIe@4.0 NVme (1 tb) run at PCIe 4.0 while the M.2 is rated at PCIe 5.0.

But that shouldn't be an issue since PCIe 5.0 is backwards compatible with PCIe 4.0.

To see if the problem is with slot M.2_1 or your Samsung NVme 980 Pro device. Since the second same drive on M.2_3 doesn't disappear try switching the M.2_3 drive with the M.2_1 Drive and see if the M.2_3 drive now starts to disappear instead of the M.2_1 drive.

If M.2_1 drive starts having the same issue than it might be a problem with the Motherboard or CPU or a compatibility issue with your Samsung 980 Pro NVme drive.

Note: In my opinion, I would connect your Windows OS Drive to M.2_1 slot rather than on the M.2_3 slot.