Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Axoloch
Journeyman III

Is this cooler good?

Hello !

I am upgrading my pc with a new processor. I am going to put a Ryzen 7 5700x on it and I would like to know if the Be quiet Dark rock slim heatsink will be enough to support it.

I wanted to put a Dark rock 4 but I use 4 ram modules (4x8) one for the first slot would not fit.

Note: I do not plan to do OC, it will remain as it comes from stock.

3 Replies
randomtox
Adept I

It should do. I think it depends a bit on the room temperature, your case and it's cooling. It is better to have some headroom. Strange that the "regular" Dark Rock doesn't fit. My 2nd PC is a 5600X on a X570 Asus board, 4x 3600Mhz memory sticks and a Scythe Mugen 5 (with 1 fan), without a problem. Think it is about about the same  size of the Dark Rock. The Scythe Mugen 5 keeps my CPU idle at 31 degrees celcius and under Prime95 at 60 degrees, running up to 4.7ghz. But I must say that I have a good airflow in my case. Do you use 3200Mhz memory? If higher, there is a good chance your CPU will overclock.

7700X - X670E-F Gaming WiFi - XFX RX7900XTX Black Edition - 32GB Trident Z5 NEO C30 6000MHz - 1x1TB Samsung 990Pro, 2x2TB Samsung 980Pro, 2x 2TB SSD - MasterCase H500M - Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1000W.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think your choice of the Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim heatsink should work for the Ryzen 7 5700X CPU, as the heatsink is rated for 180 W TDP and the CPU has a default 65 W TDP.  That gives you some headroom and you can add a 2nd fan to your heatsink if you want to overclock in the future.  Personally, I love using All-In-One (AIO) CPU coolers but I used an air cooler recently because the case I was using was not compatible with an AIO bigger than one fan.  Of course, there's no RGB with your choice unless you add in one or two RGB fans.

What?  No RGB?What? No RGB?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
KINGPETTWAY
Adept I

Always watch your Temps,make sure you have a program to check Temps. In all my custom waterloops, I use a temperature reader. When I am on my test bench I use a program for air cooling. Temps are most important. And yes that cooler will be fine.