cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

userofamd
Adept I

Green screens on Gigabyte Brix GB-BRR7H-4800 (Ryzen 4800u)

I use a Mini PC-barebone with a 4800u Ryzen processor from Gigabyte under Linux OpenSuse Tumbleweed (20230216). The computer exhibits random green screen crashes about once a day. I have iterated through several Linux kernel versions with unchanged behavior. When I stress the GPU using tensorflow, the green screen crash is triggered in a matter of seconds.

My current kernel version is 6.1.12-1-default. I use 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM CL22 which I have tested using memtest for 1.5 clycles (roughly 5h) without any problems reported.

I suspect a hardware problem. Unfortunately, Gigabyte support says only Windows is supported.

What kind of error state is the greeen screen? Is it directly triggered by hardware?

2 Solutions

That is a pretty nice little box for what appears to met your needs. 

I have only looked at the Linux kernel a few years ago when I was seriously considering using it.  It appears that you have tried numerous solutions of which none have helped.  From what you have tried it appears to be either the board or CPU causing the problem.  Have you been able to contact anyone in a Linux forum that uses the 4800U or the board that this box uses.  I would have to agree with 100% that Linux OpenSuse is not the problem.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

View solution in original post

Overheating (at or above 105c) or overclock could cause those types of issues.

what is strange is that Gigabyte Support has no Linux OS drivers: https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BRR7-4800-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

The specs for your Mini-PC only indicates that it is compatible with Windows 10 only. So not sure if you opened a Gigabyte Warranty if they will honor it since you are using Linux OS instead of Windows.

Found this Linux Laptop tech site about the same Gigabyte Mini-PC and all compatible linux OSes it supports: https://laptopwithlinux.com/product/gb-brr7h-4800/

Screenshot 2023-03-06 134043.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

I don't see the Tumbleweed support .  Here is the link:  https://laptopwithlinux.com/product/gb-brr7h-4800/

They show several Linux OS versions, but not the Tumbleweed.  Can you try another version such as Ubuntu and see if that solves the issue.

userofamd
Adept I

Thank you for your reply.

I very much doubt that Ubuntu would show any different behavior. Distributions use the same Kernel and drivers which is what matters for hardware support. AMD does support SUSE as one of the primary targets.

I would like to get technical insight into the mechanisms of the green screen before deciding to return the machine. For driver bugs, I would expect a kernel panic. My impression is that the green screen is hardware triggered and indicates hardware problems.

Is it possible that the kernel is fine.  Are you familiar with subroutines that are called up in the kernel.  Since you are a Linux advocate, I assume you know computer programming above cut and paste routines. 

It could of course still be a kernel/driver problem. However, the following might indicate a hardware problem:

Nobody else seems to have this problem
I own the computer for half a year and I have been through 5 kernel version at least, each showing the same problem
The problem is irreproducible occuring very occasionally
When using tensorflow, green screens are triggered after few seconds. This is therefore reproducible. The problem happens after all relevant code has been executed several times (several so called mini-batches have been analyzed successfully)
All problems are perfectly compatible with a thermally triggered hardware problem of the GPU

I will try one other OS and then make my decision.

Still wondering whether somebody can give an explanation about the green screen?

That is a pretty nice little box for what appears to met your needs. 

I have only looked at the Linux kernel a few years ago when I was seriously considering using it.  It appears that you have tried numerous solutions of which none have helped.  From what you have tried it appears to be either the board or CPU causing the problem.  Have you been able to contact anyone in a Linux forum that uses the 4800U or the board that this box uses.  I would have to agree with 100% that Linux OpenSuse is not the problem.

Vynski
Exemplar

From what I have been reading about the Green screens they are generated by an unstable development build of the OS.  But in your case from what you have tried, all of Linux versions would tend to be unstable and I don't buy that for a second.  I know AMD supports Linux and I haven't seen other issues like this, not that they don't exist.

Check with the retailer of the Gigabyte Brix GB-BRR7H-4800 and see what their return policy is.

Overheating (at or above 105c) or overclock could cause those types of issues.

what is strange is that Gigabyte Support has no Linux OS drivers: https://www.gigabyte.com/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BRR7-4800-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

The specs for your Mini-PC only indicates that it is compatible with Windows 10 only. So not sure if you opened a Gigabyte Warranty if they will honor it since you are using Linux OS instead of Windows.

Found this Linux Laptop tech site about the same Gigabyte Mini-PC and all compatible linux OSes it supports: https://laptopwithlinux.com/product/gb-brr7h-4800/

Screenshot 2023-03-06 134043.png

I guess, I will have to install Win 10 as indeed Gigabyte does not honor Linux issues.

I saw this also and replied with the link.  I don't understand why they say these versions are supported by Gigabyte when I assumed that he tried some of them.  I'm a little more familiar with the Ubuntu version than the others listed.  I guess if I decide to try Linux it won't be on a Gigabyte board.

gallc
Journeyman III

Hi! I see the topic is from march 2023, I do have the same issue with a GB-BRR3H-4300 (AMD Ryzen 3 4300U). Just random green screens (HDMI), with absolutely no error messages logged into dmesg or journalctl. It simply hangs completely.

I now use the latest Debian Bookworm with kernel 6.1.0-16.

I also believe it is a hardware problem.

What was the final resolution? Did you further investiagte, or just returned the PC?

0 Likes

If the problem arose over time, i.e. you could operate your machine without (or fewer) green screens before, you can safely assume that this is a hardware problem. I returned my box and got a replacement which did not green screen anymore.

0 Likes