Faulty cpu, gpu, ram or motherboard?

I recently bought parts to assemble a PC, the specs are as follows:

MSI PRO X670-P WIFI

Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 5600MHz CL40 Beast Black

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

SSD disk Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Water Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240

GIGABYTE AORUS P750W 80+ GOLD Modular

When I try to boot the PC (out of the case) it shows a red light for the CPU and yellow for the DRAM. I reseated everything. I cleaned the RAM with alcohol and swabs and reseated the CPU and GPU but still nothing. There is no output to the monitor and no power to the keyboard but the fans on the CPU fan start spinning (not on the graphics card). The only thing I found that could be the culprit is a half-scratched contact on the CPU (picture attached below ).

Does somebody have any idea of how to fix this or what part is faulty?

Thank you.

10 Replies

Is your Ram listed under your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM Memory for 7000 series processors?

Also doesn't your RAM needs to "train" first before booting up which might take several minutes?

Since both the CPU and RAM motherboard Trouble LEDs are on does seem to indicate a Memory issue that is preventing your CPU from passing the BIOS test during POST.

If you remove all RAM from the Mobo, does the CPU Trouble LED light up and then turn off and the RAM Trouble LED lights up and stays on?

If it does, try using just one stick of RAM on DIMM Slot A2 and see if it boots up. But wait a few minutes because it could be in training mode.

Yes, the RAM (Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL40 Beast Black) is compatible with the motherboard ( MSI PRO X670-P WIFI) as well as my CPU ( ryzen 5 7600x ).

I did not give it time to train nevertheless it's used RAM from a friend so I feel like it is not the cause but I will try it.

When I remove the RAM it still shows the same thing, I will receive a new motherboard tmrw so I will see if that fixes it.

I will give it extra time for the training. 

Thank you. I appreciate your reply :).

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Where is the picture of your CPU?

There are two 8-pin CPU power connectors near the CPU socket.  You need power cables from the PSU going to both of them (no splitters either).  

The latest BIOS update is 7D67v1A, which was released on August 15, 2023.  I would try to perform a BIOS update using this version.  You can only do this if your system can get into the current BIOS however, so you need to resolve the LED warning lights problem first.  It's probably a RAM issue, so try what @elstaci is suggesting.  It's very important to give the motherboard a few minutes to perform the memory training process.  This seems to be a new thing with the AM5 platform that most builders have not seen in the past.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.44.08.pngHere is a pic, sorry it didn't upload when I posted the first post.

I believe I plugged everything correctly. Two 8 pins above to the left of the CPU as well as a 16 pin on the right of the motherboard (MSI PRO X670-P WIFI) .  Also, I put some into the GPU don't remember which. ( MSI Radeon RX 6750 XT GAMING X TRIO 12G). I'm in the process of replacing the motherboard, hopefully, it solves the issue. 

Thank you for your reply :).

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's my opinion that most RMA's that are done because a computer won't boot successfully are not faulty components.  I think some of them are incompatible components or someone trying to push their system beyond standard settings right from the start, but with decent quality control from the manufacturers being the norm, I think human error is to blame for most problems during the assembly.  There are tricky things that can complicate a build, like trying to install a CPU that came out after the motherboard was manufactured and the system won't boot successfully until the BIOS is updated.  

As for your CPU contacts, I think that one contact looks ok.  Did you carefully examine the AM5 socket on the motherboard with a magnifying glass?  A bent pin in there (even bent just slightly so it doesn't make contact with the CPU pad) could cause the problem you experienced.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

You may be right, this is my first PC build so it most likely is. I will try to find someone more skilled than me to at least help me or do It for me. As for the bent pints, there were absolutely none, I checked over it so many times I don't even remember.  

Thanks for your help. Hopefully, I can manage to fix this mess!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Let us know if the replacement motherboard fixes the problem.  Good luck with this build.

Yep will do!

It did! Thanks for your help!

voider
Adept I

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 8.44.08.png