cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Case Fans Not Running At 100%

So, I have 6 fans and the CPU fan plugged into the motherboard on this system. The CPU fan seems to function within spec. All 6 case fans are set in BIOS to run at full speed. They are 3 pin DC and are all set to max. The motherboard supports DC control. I have used them in this case for some time starting about two years ago. They were configured to run full speed at all times because they are super quiet even at 100%. Could two to two and a half years of being at full speed have worn them out?

I cleaned them with IA and also blasted them with electronic duster in the hub to get rid of any dust or debris that may have built up since there are no dust filers on this case. 

Motherboard is MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi.

PSU is Corsair RM850X 850 watt fully modular power supply.

While cleaning I held the blades stationary as to not damage the motors. 

Worst case scenario I buy 5 cheap fans and call it a day but if I can get these back to 100% that would be ideal.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
4 Replies
rtbh99
Challenger

if you want to go the total replacement route, i recommend this 5 pack by arctic. only costs as much as one noctua fan, but theyre pretty **bleep** good fans

---
lets talk about rtbh99
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Do you think all six fans at 1200 to 1000 rpm would give enough airflow until I can get paid again and buy the new kit. config is 3 front 2 top exhaust 1 rear exhaust

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I bookmarked it. The kit I was looking at was 70ish USD for 5 fans.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, its very possible that two years at full speed may worn them a bit but it shouldn't be noticeable.
Why? Because my experience with fans tells me, the longer they work, the louder they get. So in a way, they seem to go faster 😛

How did you noticed it? The RPM values dropped?

There is a youtuber that all He does is fans, every brand, measures airflow and sound.
Noctua have one of the greatest airflow at lower RPM.

Bumped into that channel because I was looking into the Corsair ML140 and Noctua NF-A14, at lower sound and RPM, the Noctua had better airflow. But.... Noctua was 20 a piece and Corsair was 45 for a pack of 3 (at the time, a very long time ago)

The Englishman
0 Likes