cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

EMoney129
Adept III

Anybody else really excited about their 3D V Cache Gaming focused CPU?

Just got home from Microcenter, home of all things PC, Gaming, Tech and Impulse Buying. Minor upgrade to my current CPU, but curiosity got the better of me. Excited to see what this thing can do.

20230707_165648.jpg

11 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Once you install your new CPU, let us know what you think of it.  You should benchmark the old CPU first thought so you can make an accurate comparison. 

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
frankieHerry
Journeyman III

I can understand why someone might be excited about a 3D V Cache gaming-focused CPU.

3D V Cache, also known as Vertical Cache, is a technology introduced by AMD. It involves stacking high-speed cache memory vertically on the CPU die, which can improve data access speeds and overall gaming performance. This additional cache can provide faster access to frequently used data, reducing the need to fetch it from slower system memory or storage.

For gamers, having a CPU with 3D V Cache can potentially result in smoother gameplay, reduced loading times, and improved overall system responsiveness. It may allow games to run more efficiently by minimizing the CPU's time spent waiting for data to be fetched from the main memory.

It's not uncommon for technology enthusiasts and gamers to get excited about advancements like this, as they hold the promise of enhancing their gaming experiences.

quick shortcut maker

This is one of the best explanations of 3D V Cache that I've seen. Well said. 

supreme
Adept II

I just got a 5800x3D. Here's my comparison to the 2700x.

amd-cpu_compare.png

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]

Nice upgrade. Are you surprised by how much better it is than the previous gen CPU?

I was more surprised about how much better things were in-game.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Oh yeah! loving that 3D V Cache 7800X3D. Puts the old 5950x to shame in games. Enjoy the new chip

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

On some levels, I regret not waiting for latest gen prices to stabilize before I built my PC, but the trip to Microcenter inspired my buddy's new PC build. He ended up giving me a great deal on his RX 6800 and a nicer AM4 motherboard because of it. That 7800X3D/4090 build is the dream 👍

Kamen_Kaiju
Adept I

yes, I have a Ryzen 5 5600g right now, yesterday I ordered the Ryzen 7 5800x3D for new build. I'm really excited about it.

I'm just waiting on the CPU to come in to start the new build, I finally have all the pieces.

This will be the last AM4 build; time to start saving up for an AM5 build.

What video card will you pair it with?  I now have an AMD 5600X3D up and running, but for right now I am on an RX580 video card.  I need to wait a bit for a better video card and also a decent 32" or 34" curved gaming monitor.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I had an RTX 4070 but today I put it back in the box and installed an RX 6650 XT and am saving up for a 7900 XTX