cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

LAfachi
Adept I

AMD threadripper 7980x temperature

Hi, my new build with amd threadripper 7980x is getting very hot when rendering in 3ds max and corona renderer. All cores are loaded at 100% and the temperature reaches 93-94 degrees. I use the THERMALTAKE TOUGHLIQUID 360 ARGB TRX40 processor cooler. I'm wondering if there is a risk of overheating and if this processor needs any special conditions to work, such as a cool server room or better water cooling.

CPU - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X
MB - GIGABYTE TRX50 AERO D
RAM - Kingston 96GB ECC Registered DDR5 5600 X4
GPU - Gigabyte RTX 4080
PSU - be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1200W
Case -be quiet! Silent Base 802
SSD - SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO 2TB
Cooler - THERMALTAKE TOUGHLIQUID 360 ARGB TRX40

4 Solutions

According to AMD Specs the Maximum Operating Temperature of your ThreadRipper is 95c. So if it is reaching 93-94c at the hottest your AIO is doing it job of preventing the processor from overheating, barely.

Once it reaches 95c or higher the processor will automatically throttle to decrease the temperature back to 95c or lower.

Also in BIOS you can disable PBO to decrease temperatures on the CPU which is AMD's way of safely overclocking the processor.

Found this article about PBO concerning the Threadripper 7000 series processor and the heat issue is causes: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-Ryzen-7950X-Impact-of-Precision-Boost-Overdrive-PBO-o...

Introduction

With the recently launched AMD Ryzen 7000 Series desktop processors, we saw some terrific performance gains in our Content Creation Review article, but like many other reviewers, we found that these CPUs run extremely hot. Seeing CPU temperatures of 95º Celsius was fairly common, and we were lulled into the mindset that this was normal since it matched what everyone else was seeing and that even AMD was telling people that 95C was "normal".

It turns out, however, that these high temperatures are not at all what we should be seeing with these new CPUs.

The issue is that the motherboard we used (the Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER) was defaulting to overclocking the CPU beyond AMD's official specifications. From what we have seen, this isn't restricted to Gigabyte motherboards, but something that almost every brand seems to be doing. This also isn't something entirely new, or restricted to AMD. On the Intel side, we have dealt with a setting called "MultiCore Enhancement" for years, which allows the CPU to run all the cores at the maximum boost frequency when they should be scaling based on the number of cores that are being used.

In the case of our X670E motherboard, it is two specific settings that we found to be causing the CPUs to run at dramatically higher temperatures:

1. Core Performance Boost (CPB) allows the processor to run faster than its rated frequency when below power, temperature, and current specifications.
  2. Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) allows the processor to run beyond the defined voltage values to the limits of the board, and allows it to boost at higher voltages for longer durations than default.

These two settings are similar, and in many ways two sides of the same overclocking coin. CPB allows the CPU to run faster as long as there is thermal and power headroom, while PBO pushes the voltages to allow the CPU to clock higher.

We will note that the Ryzen Master software you can use with the Ryzen 7000 series has some additional ways you can affect things like power draw and temperature – including an "Eco Mode" – but we always prefer to do our configurations directly in the BIOS. Especially since many settings are not saved across user profiles, or after we sysprep Windows to prepare it for the end user, we try to avoid software-based settings as much as possible

One of the biggest factors in the CPU temperature is Room Ambient Temperature.  In my PC case if my room temperature is 82f or higher my CPU, SSD, & GPU all run several degrees warmer on average then when the Room Ambient Temperature is at 79F, as an example only.

My PC (CPU, GPU, & SSD) runs several degrees hotter when my room temperature is 82f or higher. At 79f my PC runs much cooler on average.

EDIT: Here is another good article about PBO and it effects on the new Threadripper 7000 series processor besides voiding your AMD Warranty when enabled in BIOS: https://skatterbencher.com/2023/11/21/9-new-things-about-overclocking-ryzen-threadripper-7000/

View solution in original post

You will likely see better CPU temps if you reverse the above flow. Draw air in through the front radiator and exhaust air out the top. Alternately you can swap the radiator/fan positions, put the 3 be quiet 140mm fans in front as intake, put the radiator on top exhausting out.

Did the front fans come with the Tt AIO cooler or did you use different fans? If the latter, are they high pressure fans meant for use on radiators?

If you have enough room you can also typically pick up an extra degree or two doubling up the radiator fans in a push/pull configuration.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Well, you selected a very high performance processor and it would of course benefit from a low ambient temperature.  However, I also recommend you move your radiator to the top, with the fans pulling air out of the case (exhaust), and then in the front, you have three fans pulling air into the case.  I would also have the rear fan(s) exhausting air out of the case.  You have a video card in there generating heat, along with a PSU too.  Is the PSU pulling air into itself from the bottom of your case (through a vent hole) or is it pulling air into itself from within the case?  

At least give the new radiator position a try to see if it improves your temperatures a few degrees.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

RoseCliver
Adept I

@LAfachi wrote:

Hi, my new build with amd threadripper 7980x is getting very hot when rendering in 3ds max and corona renderer. All cores are loaded at 100% and the temperature reaches 93-94 degrees. I use the THERMALTAKE TOUGHLIQUID 360 ARGB TRX40 processor cooler. I'm wondering if there is a risk of overheating and dollar tree.pro if this processor needs any special conditions to work, such as a cool server room or better water cooling.

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 4080

Your Threadripper 7980X reaching 93-94°C under load is high but manageable. Consider upgrading to a more powerful cooler or improving case airflow. Ensure your cooler is mounted correctly and thermal paste is properly applied.

11 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would certainly try to increase the airflow through the case.  Is your radiator mounted at the top, with the three fans pulling air from inside the case and exhausting it out the top?  You want to have positive airflow into the case, meaning 3-4 fans pulling air into the case from the front and perhaps the bottom.  

Show us a few pictures of how you have the fans set up.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I uploaded a photo in the comments below, the radiator is on the front of the case. That is, such computers do not need cold environmental conditions to work properly?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Well, you selected a very high performance processor and it would of course benefit from a low ambient temperature.  However, I also recommend you move your radiator to the top, with the fans pulling air out of the case (exhaust), and then in the front, you have three fans pulling air into the case.  I would also have the rear fan(s) exhausting air out of the case.  You have a video card in there generating heat, along with a PSU too.  Is the PSU pulling air into itself from the bottom of your case (through a vent hole) or is it pulling air into itself from within the case?  

At least give the new radiator position a try to see if it improves your temperatures a few degrees.

LAfachi
Adept I

Thanks for the reply, this is a photo of my computer. Please tell me how correctly the coolers are installed.7980x.jpg

You will likely see better CPU temps if you reverse the above flow. Draw air in through the front radiator and exhaust air out the top. Alternately you can swap the radiator/fan positions, put the 3 be quiet 140mm fans in front as intake, put the radiator on top exhausting out.

Did the front fans come with the Tt AIO cooler or did you use different fans? If the latter, are they high pressure fans meant for use on radiators?

If you have enough room you can also typically pick up an extra degree or two doubling up the radiator fans in a push/pull configuration.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

According to AMD Specs the Maximum Operating Temperature of your ThreadRipper is 95c. So if it is reaching 93-94c at the hottest your AIO is doing it job of preventing the processor from overheating, barely.

Once it reaches 95c or higher the processor will automatically throttle to decrease the temperature back to 95c or lower.

Also in BIOS you can disable PBO to decrease temperatures on the CPU which is AMD's way of safely overclocking the processor.

Found this article about PBO concerning the Threadripper 7000 series processor and the heat issue is causes: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-Ryzen-7950X-Impact-of-Precision-Boost-Overdrive-PBO-o...

Introduction

With the recently launched AMD Ryzen 7000 Series desktop processors, we saw some terrific performance gains in our Content Creation Review article, but like many other reviewers, we found that these CPUs run extremely hot. Seeing CPU temperatures of 95º Celsius was fairly common, and we were lulled into the mindset that this was normal since it matched what everyone else was seeing and that even AMD was telling people that 95C was "normal".

It turns out, however, that these high temperatures are not at all what we should be seeing with these new CPUs.

The issue is that the motherboard we used (the Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER) was defaulting to overclocking the CPU beyond AMD's official specifications. From what we have seen, this isn't restricted to Gigabyte motherboards, but something that almost every brand seems to be doing. This also isn't something entirely new, or restricted to AMD. On the Intel side, we have dealt with a setting called "MultiCore Enhancement" for years, which allows the CPU to run all the cores at the maximum boost frequency when they should be scaling based on the number of cores that are being used.

In the case of our X670E motherboard, it is two specific settings that we found to be causing the CPUs to run at dramatically higher temperatures:

1. Core Performance Boost (CPB) allows the processor to run faster than its rated frequency when below power, temperature, and current specifications.
  2. Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) allows the processor to run beyond the defined voltage values to the limits of the board, and allows it to boost at higher voltages for longer durations than default.

These two settings are similar, and in many ways two sides of the same overclocking coin. CPB allows the CPU to run faster as long as there is thermal and power headroom, while PBO pushes the voltages to allow the CPU to clock higher.

We will note that the Ryzen Master software you can use with the Ryzen 7000 series has some additional ways you can affect things like power draw and temperature – including an "Eco Mode" – but we always prefer to do our configurations directly in the BIOS. Especially since many settings are not saved across user profiles, or after we sysprep Windows to prepare it for the end user, we try to avoid software-based settings as much as possible

One of the biggest factors in the CPU temperature is Room Ambient Temperature.  In my PC case if my room temperature is 82f or higher my CPU, SSD, & GPU all run several degrees warmer on average then when the Room Ambient Temperature is at 79F, as an example only.

My PC (CPU, GPU, & SSD) runs several degrees hotter when my room temperature is 82f or higher. At 79f my PC runs much cooler on average.

EDIT: Here is another good article about PBO and it effects on the new Threadripper 7000 series processor besides voiding your AMD Warranty when enabled in BIOS: https://skatterbencher.com/2023/11/21/9-new-things-about-overclocking-ryzen-threadripper-7000/

RoseCliver
Adept I

@LAfachi wrote:

Hi, my new build with amd threadripper 7980x is getting very hot when rendering in 3ds max and corona renderer. All cores are loaded at 100% and the temperature reaches 93-94 degrees. I use the THERMALTAKE TOUGHLIQUID 360 ARGB TRX40 processor cooler. I'm wondering if there is a risk of overheating and dollar tree.pro if this processor needs any special conditions to work, such as a cool server room or better water cooling.

GPU - Gigabyte RTX 4080

Your Threadripper 7980X reaching 93-94°C under load is high but manageable. Consider upgrading to a more powerful cooler or improving case airflow. Ensure your cooler is mounted correctly and thermal paste is properly applied.

The temperatures you're seeing are high but not immediately dangerous. Consider upgrading to a more powerful cooler for your Threadripper 7980X or improving case airflow. Also, verify that your current cooler is properly mounted with correct thermal paste application.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Have you moved any fans around?  If so, did your temperatures improve a bit?

Also curious to know if tweaking your airflow config helped any!

LAfachi
Adept I

Hello, I am waiting for the technicians to move the radiator and coolers according to the warranty conditions. I will definitely write the result. Thanks for the help