cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 upgrade to a Ryzen 7 5800x

hello all,

New to the group and want to know is it worth the time and efforts to upgrade my CPU. Currently I am running a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 on my Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B450 AORUS ELITE (AM4) Motherboard. Works ok. Been recently maxing out my CPU on a NOX Emulator. With multiple Nox players going at one time I understand I am going to have some set backs but I don't think it should be this bad. To get to the point … Would it be worth it to upgrade to the Ryzen 7 5800x and what are the set backs of this CPU? I have seen all the videos and threads I am really skeptical of the whole thing.

0 Likes
18 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

You'll experience some really good gains with the upgrade .. not only will you gain cores, but they are also all faster cores

The 5800x can run a bit warm so you'll need a good cooler for it .. something like the Deepcool AK620 or similar

With taller coolers comes the question .. how tall of a cooler can you fit in your case? 

You want to make sure you have good airflow thru your case to keep those VRM's cool .. (and your RAM too)

5000 series Ryzen likes faster RAM .. so the sweet spot is 3600 stuff... I ran a 3200 CAS16 kit at 3800 CAS18 (1.39v) so you might be able to squeeze some more speed out of your current RAM kit ... maybe

You'll need to install latest AM4 chipset drivers from AMD.com website

You should update your motherboard's BIOS to latest (not just to whatever version supports the 5800x)

The 5800x requires more power than a 3600 .. so hopefully you have a good power supply

ThreeDee PC specs

I have a very large station. so getting a better cooler comes down to a budget thing. 

0 Likes
hawkmanw
Adept III

Multiple instances of NOX? You forgot to tell us how much ram you are running. I would not upgrade the CPU if you aren’t already using 64 G of DDR4 clocked at 3600 (dual channel).

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
0 Likes

ram is at 64g but I don't know if they are clocked. sorry i am not used to the PC Talk.

I've also been considering going from a 3600 to a 5800x3d for gaming, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like I should just wait for prices to come down on the newer cpus and motherboards. I have the issue the others mentioned - slower ram. So, I'd end up needing both the cpu and the ram, at which point I should probably just get all three newer parts and have a faster pc with the ability to upgrade further in the future.

lowteck
Miniboss

lowteck_0-1693755434139.png

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

thank you for that information.

What GPU card are you using to play games?

Upgrading from a 3000 series processor to a 5000 series processor would be a big improvement in PC performance with the right RAM and GPU card installed.

You can go to this FPS & Bottleneck Calculator I use to determine and get a GENERAL idea on how well my hardware will run games with: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

Just input both processors with your GPU and RAM installed and it will show various games FPS at various Resolutions plus lets you know if there will be any bottlenecking of either your GPU or CPU.

Also go Gigabytes QVL LIST for the 5000 series processor and see if the RAM you currently have installed is compatible with the new processor.

0 Likes

ok i will do that next. but how do i test the fan and power supply to ensure this is a good fit for my PC?

0 Likes

I read that you have 64GB of RAM installed. Then it is important that you check your Motherboard's QVL LIST FOR RAM for the 5000 series processors to make sure that amount of RAM is compatible with the new processor for your RAM Part number. Or check the RAM Manufacturer's QVL list.

Your GPU card and CPU is what really determines how powerful of PSU you will need to run your PC without power issues. Since you don't seem to have any power issues that you mentioned I assume you have a high quality powerful PSU installed.

Are you talking about the CPU Cooler Fans and GPU Fans? All the Case and CPU Cooler Fans should start running as soon as you apply power to your PC. Make sure the CPU Cooler fan is running normally after powering up.

The GPU Fans may or may not run depending on your GPU Make & Model. Most, if not all modern GPU cards, have Zero RPM feature which means the GPU fans won't turn on until the GPU card heat sensors reaches a certain temperature, normally between 55c-60c.

If Zero RPM is overridden manually by using Adrenaline or some other 3rd party software, then the fans will turn on depending how you configured the fans to work.

NOTE: This PSU/GPU website gives your a close PSU minimum that you need for various GPU cards: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX  or check the GPU manufacturer website under "SPECS" to find out what the manufacturer minimum PSU wattage is recommended.

0 Likes

with all that information i took another look and i found some mix match stuff. but i don't know what to make of it. i have 2 of each and i wonder if this is a bad mix of Ram. i cant seem to find my make and model of PSU.

Type DDR4
Size 16384 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
Part Number CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
SPD Ext. XMP

Type DDR4
Size 16384 MBytes
Manufacturer Unknown
Max Bandwidth DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Part Number
Week/year 50 / 22
SPD Ext. XMP

0 Likes

First it is very bad to mix and match RAM modules due to incompatibilities between RAM Modules showing up.

Just for troubleshooting purpose just install one set of RAM that are the same. I suggest you install the Corsair one.

It is always best to purchase a RAM Kit with the amount of RAM modules you want to install to avoid compatibility issues between RAM modules.

Download a free small program called SPECCY and run it. It should show you most of the Make & Models of hardware you have installed plus all your software you have installed.

You can also download CPUID to which will also show you Make & Models of the unknown RAM you have. SPECCY should be able to do the same thing.

NOTE: Since you have two different speed RAM install, your PC will run with the slowest speed RAM installed which is your Corsair unless you are able to overclock both different RAM to match each other speeds.

Since you have 64GB of RAM installed it is especially true with the more RAM you have installed the more chance of them being incompatible with each other.

0 Likes

could that be a reason why I lag? I will fix that and then move back to my CPU issue.

https://support.bignox.com/en/often/performance

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

Thank you for that.

i am now wondering per PC Parts Picker. i bought 4 sticks of the following and before opening can someone tell me that i got the right RAM for my MB.  B450 AORUS ELITE (AM4) is my motherboard and the new sticks i want to install are the cmw32gx4m2d3600c18. i dont know if it will work on my AMD system. please help.

0 Likes

Downloaded your Motherboard's QVL List for the Vermeer processor (5800X) and the highest RAM speed listed was for 3200Mhz.

There were no RAM part numbers listed for RAM SPEED 3600Mhz.

Here are all the Corsair fastest RAM listed on the QVL List:

Screenshot 2023-09-10 203641.png

Seems like for the Vermeer processors, your motherboard doesn't seem to support RAM speed faster than 3200Mhz.

0 Likes

your awesome thank you.