cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Momo3
Journeyman III

AMD RX6600 only one output working

I got myself a second monitor recently. I now got the desk to fit both monitors and tried running both on my rx6600, something I did before with my TV as a second screen. I connected my main monitor via DisplayPort and my old monitor via the HDMI port since the monitor only has HDMI inputs. It seemed to work for approximately 5 minutes before both monitors turned black on me. After restarting only the old monitor(connected via HDMI) was working. Since I heard that DisplayPort sometimes does weird things I tried a different port on the Card and another DP cable, but it didn't help.

To my surprise, after restarting my Computer with just my new monitor connected(via DP) it worked, but plugging in my old monitor didn't work this time. Because of my confusion at that moment, I then tried restarting my Computer with different monitor setups, plugged into different outputs in the Card and different cables. Here are my results:

-Whatever I try only one monitor seems to get a signal from the Card.

-If a monitor is plugged into the HDMI on the Card when starting my Computer it is the only output that works.

-When multiple DP outputs are plugged in when starting only one of them is recognized by the card. (They all work alone tho)

I was wondering if anyone knows what's up with all that and, more importantly, how I get both monitors to be recognized by the Card.

1 Solution
Momo3
Journeyman III

So TLDR: Apparently Windows can deinstall my graphics card driver overnight. A fact I was not aware of until now. But yeah reinstalling AMD Adrenaline fixed everything.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

When you have both Monitors connected on the DP and HDMI Port and only one has video output what does Windows Setting -Display show?

Does it show both monitors connected?

Possibly you need to set the native Resolution to your HDMI Monitor in Windows Settings -Graphics.

Also what does Device Manager show when the issue happens with both monitor connected? are there any errors showing in either Display or Monitor categories or any categories?

With both Monitors connected try installing the AMD driver again and see if that helps or not. It is possible that maybe Windows is still trying to access your TV instead of your monitor.

Momo3
Journeyman III

So TLDR: Apparently Windows can deinstall my graphics card driver overnight. A fact I was not aware of until now. But yeah reinstalling AMD Adrenaline fixed everything.

Most likely what happened is that Windows Update installed a different AMD Driver version which cause conflict with your current AMD Driver.

You will need to disable Windows Update for drivers to prevent this in the future and manually update your drivers yourself for all your hardware in your PC.

I disabled my Windows 10 driver update a long time ago and haven't any need to enable it again.

In case you interested on how to do it go here: elevenforum- enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2232/

afterfad
Journeyman III

I made an account just to reply on this thread in the event that another poor soul runs into this. I have the RX6600, and just purchased a second monitor for use with it. I got a fairly cheap DisplayPort to HDMI cable. It worked for about a week before it stopped. Then it would randomly work if I tinkered with it for a few minutes, but then would randomly stop working again.

I reinstalled the driver as suggested, rolled back, tried different drivers, reinstalled the Adrenaline software, switched ports, everything I could think of.

What finally ended up doing the trick was a better HDMI/DP cable. The cable I got was HDMI 1.4. I sprung for a $40 cable that was HDMI 2.1. The second I plugged it in, it started working again.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I do believe that quality monitor cables are the way to go.  Cheap monitor cables have caused me problems in the past, so it's one of the first things I suggest when people have display issues.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".