cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Adrenaline 24.8.1 has been released! Tell us how it works for you!

It was released on 29 August 2024.  Maybe this will address some issues a few folks have been having with prior updates.  My experience so far is that it blanks your screen for several seconds (20-30) during the install.  A bit unnerving I would say.

New driver update, just in time for my 01 September 2024 LAN party at Big Al Computers.New driver update, just in time for my 01 September 2024 LAN party at Big Al Computers.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
71 Replies

Doesn't matter, I give up, f this, but thanks anyway.

~Cheers for the second time..
0 Likes
chasrick
Adept I

Horrible crashed warzone twice in one hour just like the last few updates!!!! Have to back up all the way to 24.4.1 just to play and it still does it randomly 

adriand0
Adept I

Hi BigAl01, thanks for the support you are willingly doing over this forum. I seeing your responses in this thread so I can only imagine the rest.

Haven't been lucky with this or the previous update, while playing games (list below) screen turns black and all fans activate to max. PC doesnt seems to shut down, as RAM and devices are still on and with their AURA RGB  synced (this AURA effects only applies if my user is logged in. While booting up, the AURA RGB is default)

Once boots up, OS seems to point out an issue with the display device and as with the same popups that FunkZ points AMD Adrenaline does not detect the card. For this I just follow this steps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/techadvice/comments/v1updg/a_fix_for_legendary_pa300_the_version_of_amd/ 

To reproduce the issue it seems that I only need to put a load over the GPU (tried playing the game at min settings, FSR ultra performance, 720p)  and eventually the issue happens. No other special configuration that I can think of as am someone who prefers to play at default settings, I let the system choose.

The only clue that I had so far was a pop up saying "Driver time out" for 1 ocassions. For this ocassion, I let the PC in this black-screen-state and monitored the temperatures with IR guns.. when it suddeleny reinstated itself showing me picture in screen and a popup sayin that  the OS detected a driver timeout. The display device was not recgonized by the OS.

Btw IR guns did no show any critical temp, all disipators where at 45-48 C on decrease while time passed

Do you know of any diagnostic log tool to see what happens at the GPU/drivers/OS when this happens? any good query for windows Event viewer? Mine at the end

Specs

CPU Ryzen 7 5700x
GPU Radeon RX 6700
32GB RAM DDR4 RAM
Installed on NVMe SSD
Vainilla config, all AMD features turned off
Windows 10

Games (seems like all UE5?)
The First Descendant
Once Human
Contractors showdown (VR)
Hotel Paradise (VR)
The Forest (VR/PC)
It happend once while at Google Chrome (youtube video) and waiting for BitLocker to (would it be a CPU problem?)

Event viewer query
<QueryList>
<Query Id="0" Path="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration">
<Select Path="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration">*[System/Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP'] and EventData/Data[@Name='DeviceInstanceID']='PCI\VEN_1002&amp;DEV_73DF&amp;SUBSYS_661A1EAE&amp;REV_DF\6&amp;30AA35A7&amp;0&amp;00000019']</Select>
<Select Path="System">*[System/Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp'] and UserData/*/DeviceInstanceID='PCI\VEN_1002&amp;DEV_73DF&amp;SUBSYS_661A1EAE&amp;REV_DF\6&amp;30AA35A7&amp;0&amp;00000019']</Select>
</Query>
</QueryList>

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@chasrick I would go back and uninstall your Adrenalin driver using DDU, and then do another install of the Adrenalin 24.8.1 driver.  When using DDU, I believe you need to be in safe mode and perhaps some people don't do that and thus may not completely remove the files associated with the previous graphics driver installation.  After trying that, I would then disable the motherboard fan / RGB controls (AURA RGB) in the startup section of Task Manager.  If you don't want to do that, at least check for updates to that software.  

In the Windows 'Event Viewer', which I don't use too often, I think you would look under 'Windows Logs' for application events and system events.  I assume you have tried the Event Viewer query shown above, but I don't have experience in creating those queries to know if that should work.  If you can get the Adrenalin 'Performance Tab' open before you start gaming, you can start logging the performance of the GPU to see what's happening if it crashes while you game.  You need to check to see where it will save the file it creates.

If you have another PCIe slot, I would even try plugging your GPU into that slot to see if it makes any difference.  I recommend you also check to see if there is a recent BIOS update for your motherboard.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I’ve only had this card in my computer. I don’t want to use the ddu tool going by the download site. It’s only used in full uninstalled or switching cards. I’ve done neither. I did use windows to uninstall completed driver. Then I reinstalled the newest driver 24.8.1. I’ll use the performance tab to find out what’s happening hopefully. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

Same issue after the DDU uninstall-reinstall in safe mode. AURA uninstalled and changed to more generic peripherals that I had laying around.

With the Adrenaline log  users need to manually click STOP to save the logs, making it useless as the whole system crash so users has the chance to click stop.. any other logging app that keps saving/overwrites the logs?

I dont have extra PCI slot, but you gave me the idea to downgrade the slot from GEN4 to GEN3/GEN2/GEN1 (RX 6700gpu is gen4 rigth?). So far the results are the same, the only difference being that the issue takes longer to appear.

The most stable one was configuring it as a GEN1, low settings and FSR in Ultra Performance, giving me up to 4hrs of gameplay. If I change the settings from low to med, even with Ultra Performance, the crash takes place as usual.

However there is a new symptpom, where after the crash, the display adapter appears disabled (not with an error, disabled).

Once I enable it, the adapters shows the usual error, but AMD initialzes asking to report the bug.

The bug has a *.dmp File that I open with WinDbg with the following stacktrace error:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)

I'll still getting around how WinDbg works to provide more details on the .dmp file, but we all should check if we are getting the same error?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@adriand0 - I recommend you post this problem with the 24.8.1 Adrenalin drivers in the developers forum here:  https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/bd-p/devgurus-discussion ; I think this is beyond my ability to help you with.  However, I am wondering why the backstepping of the PCIe generations (4 to 3 to 2 to 1) is improving your length of gameplay.  Maybe you are using an excessive number of PCIe lanes for your SSD (M.2) drives?  Do you have an external sound card installed?  If so, pull that out and go with just the motherboard built-in audio.

This may occur when someone just updates instead of doing a clean full install.  I always uninstall my previous driver, restart the machine, then check the folder where previous drivers were installed and delete any remnants of those drivers.  then i do the full installation of the new drivers.  Every time a new driver is released.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
artofstu42
Journeyman III

Still waiting for that Black Myth Wukong fix.

CayroMx4
Elite

It's **bleep** because DayZ is still broken..

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Are you running DayZ on Steam?  Maybe they have some recommended tweaks in their community.

I'm sometimes in a daze.....I'm sometimes in a daze.....

0 Likes
Machine
Journeyman III

Bei mir blieb der Bildschirm beim installieren auch ein paar Sekunden schwarz. Bisher aber sonst nichts auffälliges. Sobald es etwas gibt sag ich bescheid.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Translation:  

My screen stayed black for a few seconds during installation. But so far nothing else noticeable. As soon as there is something I will let you know. 

That was my experience with a few of my computers, but not all eleven of them.

dza
Adept I

eebiii
Forerunner

I have been running 23.12 on my 7900xtx since day 1 because of a certain game I play. Game kicks me instantly if i use another version. But only in that game. (WWii Online) Any other game or benchmark I run have zero issues on the 23.12 drivers.

DrManhattan
Adept I

Monday

Since I updated I've been getting random shut downs with kernel power error 41 in event viewer.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D

RX 7900 XTX 

Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX

Did you have similar problems with the 24.7.1 Adrenalin driver update?  You might consider trying DDU to clean out the old files before again trying to install 24.8.1.

0 Likes

I did, and I had an issue where my adrenaline was set to overclock when it wasn't supposed to. But I just reverted back to 24.7.1 and I'm getting the same thing again, random shut downs in game. Guess it's not 24.8.1.

Could be a problem with your PSU.  With your CPU / GPU configuration, I would personally be using a name-brand 1K watt PSU.  What are you running?

Seasonic G12 GM-850 850W 80+ Gold.

The place that built my PC is saying thay its a driver issue, but I don't think that's what it is.

That is a decent PSU.  

Is there a reason you went with the B650 board on such a high powered CPU + GPU?  I have always trusted that performance is better and less troublesome with the X570 boards.  Although if this is an AM5 machine then I understand.  However in the MSI boards, I'm certain that Gigabyte is the same, there are considerable differences between the models MAG, MPG, and MEG boards.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is working well for me so far. I don't play Call of Duty Vanguard, and didn't have the issue with the dialogue box popping up. I have zero issues with anything so far, but I do DDU for almost every new driver.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

So far everything works fine for me with this driver in games, although I didn't have any issues with the previous versions either. I am however experiencing the bug where the Adrenalin app opens after the pc wakes from a sleep state -- not the end of the world but mildly annoying. 

I see that happening too, once four hours go by and my monitor goes to sleep.  The PC was still running, so it's probably triggered by either event.  Not a big deal though.

Try to update to 24.8.1 update but still can’t and is still showing that 24.7.1 is the up to date version. Is the rx560 got not compatible with this update or what’s going on, I haven’t been able to play my game for over a week now and I’m pissed!!

I have found that with several of my older computers running video cards several generations back (like the RX580 and RX590), when I search the AMD site for the latest Adrenalin drivers, it doesn't give me the last few versions, meaning 24.8.1 and 24.7.1.  That suggests that they are not compatible with the older video cards.  I did a search for you on the AMD.com site and found that the latest drivers for Windows 11 are Adrenalin 24.3.1 (WHQL Recommended).  

Vynski
Exemplar

Just installed the Adrenalin 24.8.1 drivers yesterday.  I first want to say thanks for the warning on the installation about the time lag.  Although I was expecting it, it never occurred.  In fact it went surprizingly fast.  Now that I've been using for 1 day , it seems to me that response time has improved in all applications and overall.  Very pleased with it.  Only installed on the Ryzen 9 3900, RX 5700XT, MSI X570 ACE for now.  I'll get it installed on the other machines today if time allows.

bmportillo5
Journeyman III

I still get visual artifacts when using Vulkan in some emulators. This has been happening for more than a year already, as I've seen in other posts on the internet. 

Sin título.png

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I guess I'm the anomaly, but COD works just fine for me on the 7800X3D/7900XT, even with the new drivers!

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Same.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
apjarnold58
Journeyman III

Windows 11, Intel Core i7-13700 Asus TUF Gaming Z790 AMD RX7800XT

Gaming is all good, but the annoying thing is that the AMD screen opens up every time I wake the computer or boot up. I do not want or need this to happen.