cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

outspark44
Adept II

9000 series pc upgrade

So i havent done any upgrade since the 5000 series and now im looking to go for the new one but with the cpu im going to wait till next year to pick up the 9950x so with the montherbored im looking to get now is rog strix x670E e-gaming and now i'm curious do i need a 7000 series cpu in order for the 9000 series to work on X670E or can i just place it in the motherbored to update since it been while with technical terms if not should i just go for the x870E instead.

4 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You can expect that a BIOS update will be needed for the current 7000 series AM5 motherboards to then run with the new 9000 series CPUs.  If you don't have a 7000 series CPU to make the motherboard operational for the BIOS update, then you need to ensure that your motherboard supports a BIOS flash without a CPU installed.  I don't think many of them do, but I believe there are a few.

Why would you even buy an X670E motherboard now if you don't intend to build your new system until next year when the prices for the 9950X CPU might be lower?  You should just get an X870E motherboard once they come out and then you won't have any BIOS issue to start with.  Besides, I bet there are some features that the new X870E motherboard chipset brings to the table that the older X670E chipset doesn't have.

I wonder if the new X870E AM5 motherboards will support the older 7000 series CPUs.  If they do, perhaps you should get an X870E motherboard once they come out and along with that perhaps a Ryzen 7800X3D CPU (prices of the 7000 series are pretty sweet right now) so you can be gaming for a while before dropping in the more powerful Ryzen 9950X CPU.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi, the X670E-E is a very very high end board (however not as strong as the flagships RoG Crosshair or Maximus) and it has the option to flash without a CPU installed, however, I would rather wait a bit more to see the X870E offering.

But truth be told, if you can grab that with a much lower price than a mid/high tier X870, I would.

It may not be the best of all RoG but its a beast with 18+2+2 VRM configuration, it can surely handle the 7950X or the 9950X even heavily OC'ed.

Wait a bit more

The Englishman

So should i look at Crosshair or Maximus motherbored instead of Strix? I'm not to Familiar with the other 2 then Strix since i was use to Strix motherbored and been with it since x570 bored.

In all honesty, I would just go with the Strix.  The higher power phases help with traditional overclocking, but all AM5 processors use a soldered internal heat spreader, (IHS) with a fairly large amount of solder that was designed to maintain compatibility with AM4 coolers.

The issue then, when overclocking, is that the heat getting from the die to the IHS becomes the bottleneck.  Meaning all that extra juice won't accomplish anything unless you are also will to do some direct die cooling on your CPU.