cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Pantera2897
Adept I

7900 xt power supply connectors

I have an MSI mpg A1000G PCIE 5.0 that has the 12vhpwr to twin pcie 6+2 cable and the plain 8 pin to  pcie 6+2 cable. Which connection would be better to use. 

2 Solutions
MADZyren
Paragon

So it looks like this

MADZyren_0-1673892389707.png

And 7900XT requires 2x8 pin connectors, so it likely doesn't really matter, but the 12VHPWR is definitely designed to handle quick changes in GPUs power requirements, but likely the other connector gets it juice from the same circuitry, so...

View solution in original post

I could be wrong, but to my understanding those lines simply tell the GPU, how much power PSU is able to deliver and if your cables do not have this feature, then your PSU simply has to be able to push full 600W or GPU might crash assuming power but not getting it (assuming your GPU can pull 600W)

View solution in original post

14 Replies
eebiii
Miniboss

Thats some next gen stuff there. I would use the 12vhpwr. 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Won't you have to use both?  Since the 12vhpwer cable terminates in a single 8pin PCIe connection at the card, you'll still need a second one for the 7900 XT.

Yes.  But his 7900XT doesn't have a 16-pin 600W connector.  So connecting an 8-pin cable would still necessitate the connection of a second 8-pin cable to a "plain 8pin".  Therefore, I reiterate...

oh yes, i see now. thought you could use it as 2 8-pin. We are talking Nvidia 16-pin. I guess you could do something like this, it's all over the internet.

ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 600W 12VHPWR 16 Pin to Dual 8 Pin PCIE Power Cable - modDIY.com

Nice.  From a cable management standpoint something like this would be the winner.

This cable is exactly the one that was in the msi power supply box. So I guess I can use it. 

Is it working properly? 

Tomorrow I will connect everything and I wonder how it worked? 

Got the Sapphire Pulse 7900 XT and thinking about to connect the 16 Pin to dual 8 Pin 🤔

Today mine MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 arrived and this kind of cable was included 16 Pin TO Dual 8 Pin. 

That is what I am trying to explain. The cable supplied does end in 2  8 pin connectors. Just like the one you can buy at the modDIY.com store. 

MADZyren
Paragon

So it looks like this

MADZyren_0-1673892389707.png

And 7900XT requires 2x8 pin connectors, so it likely doesn't really matter, but the 12VHPWR is definitely designed to handle quick changes in GPUs power requirements, but likely the other connector gets it juice from the same circuitry, so...

I was under the belief that the 12VHPWR reacted to the quick changes through the 4 data pins so without the other side having those it should just be same power and same source. Personally I would just use the 2 regular 8 pins as it would likely look cleaner and remove the variable of using the cable adapter. 

I could be wrong, but to my understanding those lines simply tell the GPU, how much power PSU is able to deliver and if your cables do not have this feature, then your PSU simply has to be able to push full 600W or GPU might crash assuming power but not getting it (assuming your GPU can pull 600W)

rohan02
Journeyman III

I recommend using the 12VHPWR to twin PCIe 6+2 cable for your MSI MPG A1000G PCIe 5.0 with the Radeon RX 7900 XT. Ensure your power supply supports it, as this cable efficiently delivers power. Always check your PSU specifications to ensure stable and adequate power for optimal GPU performance

Regards
Rohan Sharma