Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Drumhed
Journeyman III

1st computer build

Hey there,

Would like to have one of you experts to tell this old man if he is picking a good combo, (ie, do they play nice together, if so, will they have trouble getting along with others). Ryzen 5 7600 $219, and the Asus ProArt B650 creator AM5 $239. This would be at the max of budget for these items. I'm going with AMD 100%, call it a gut feeling or maybe some of the talk makes me think that it's future proof. OH, and I'm not a gamer any more. At least not or the last 20yrs.

Thanks

Drumhed

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi,
What kind of work you do with the computer?

Just browsing the net? Office work? Multimedia mostly? Content creation? 

I would maybe change that board for a X670E Prime, not because the PROArt is bad, but because you said future proof.
The Prime should be on a lower tier than the PROArt but the X670E this time around has more VRM capabilities for future CPU's, a quick release GPU button, Qlatch for M.2 (no screws) and wifi (not because of wifi itself but bluetooth capabilities like file sharing or pairing BT headsets). Also, the PROArt is aimed at other markets, it still has dual reinforced PCI slots for those who like Crossfire/SLI, even if they are a dying thing.

The Ryzen 7600 will be a good pick for much about everything but won't get you far. Later on you can get a better CPU.

You haven't mention the GPU, this time around the iGPU is not very strong as the ones on the 5700G and 5600G so you may need a dedicated one. Since gaming is not what you aim at, a RX6700 should get you by just fine along the 7600 CPU. The RX6600 is also good if you real want to save a hundred buck.

Conclusion:

If you really want to future proof the Prime has you covered.

Is the budget tight, then go with the PROArt

The Englishman
ThreeDee
Paragon

From this old man (53) to a fellow "old" man ..😎

The 7600 is a 65wtt TDP CPU .. you can save yourself some money ($100'ish maybe) on your motherboard selection

When purchasing DDR5 .. spend a couple extra bucks on non-Samsung chipped RAM. Stuff that's 6000 CAS36 is probably Samsung .. 6000 rated CAS30 is probably Hynix or Micron .. but Google whatever model number it is and do some research before you buy.

..Because IF the IMC on that new CPU (Integrated Memory Controller) is a bit picky like my 7950x seems to be .. It might not play well with SAMSUNG chipped RAM. Just an FYI

Get a more than adequate power supply for your build that is 80+ Gold rated at least. Don't skimp on the PSU. Check hardware reviews before purchasing anything

ThreeDee PC specs
Axxemann
Forerunner

Welp, I might be just a kid (43) by your standards, but I've been building PCs for a while.

I have three questions for you @Drumhed:

#1: What are you planning on doing with this PC? You've already mentioned you're not a gamer, so then what are you going to do with it? 

#2: What's your budget? What are you willing to spend?

#3: Do you have a planned upgrade path, if at all? I ask this one because I managed to get 10 years out of my last gaming rig. The current gaming rig is going to last me 4 or 5 at the max.

Performance over Pretty.
Vynski
Exemplar

Everything these other older members are recommending.

The one thing I would like to chime in on is your RAM.  I would highly recommend the GSKIL.  It seems that they have leaned more to the AMD side with the AMD EXPO, than other manufacturers.  The Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V 32GB (2x16GB) AMD EXPO will be a good hedge for future also.  if you don't go with GSKIL I would recommend Corsair.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"