cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

trickson
Adept II

The BEST and ONLY RAM you should use for AMD Ryzen PERIOD.

Got some G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600 RAM today (That is what I am still on and will be for a few more years.) and I have to say this stuff is the best RAM I have ever had.

I had the ripjaws DDR4 3466Mhz RAM in this system just a few min ago I changed it out for this set the XMP (For the first time EVER) and the system booted right up and shows the RAM running at 3600MHZ! So, I took the other RAM (DDR 4 3466 MHz) and put it in my other system boot right up at the ratted DDR4 3466MHz! 

I have to say this too.

I have some Patriot DDR4 4000MHz RAM and not one of my systems can even run it past 1066Mhz just CRAP RAM DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON PATRIOT RAM! CRAP! 

It messed up one of systems so bad I had to reinstall windows 10 then 11.

I was PISSED! 

I can verify that G.Skill ram is the BEST for AMD Ryzen anything else is a waste of money and time.

I recommend anyone that has an AMD Ryzen 3 1300X or a Ryzen7 1700X or a Ryzen 7 3700X or the Ryzen 9 3900X (I have all of them) OH wait I also have some sweet DDR3 Ripjaws RAM on my FX8300 Black and that stuff is AMAZING as well! 

You use G.Skill RAM it is the THE THE THE VERY best RAM you can use on the AMD CPU. 

There IS NO other RAM that works like this stuff, it is utterly AMAZING! 

44 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That was interesting to read. 🙂

You forgot the "Mic Drop" at the end.  

The Englishman
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It's good you are happy, but Corsair is just as good. Just saying. In my experience only budget brands have issues. Even the T-Force ram I have at 3000mhz on my Ryzen 2600X functions correctly. G. Skill is nice though. I know for sure I will never cheap out on parts and buy cheap parts that aren't from reputable brands as I have had several parts just not function at their rated speeds.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

I tested 4 different ram kits from corsair between 2020 - 2022 (16gb LPX3200, 32gb LPX3200, 16gb RGB
Pro 3200 & 32gb RGB Pro SL 3600 - all dual kits) on different AM4 System's and never without problems.....

b450: msi gaming plus max, asus f-gaming v2, asrock pro4
x570: msi a-pro & 2 different msi gaming plus
Ryzen: 3400g/two 3600/3700x/5800x)

All ram-kits are optimized for Ryzen! 16gb lpx no boot possible, 32gb lpx just runs on the asrock with 3200, the rgb pro just runs 3200 with 1 dimm on the asrock and asus & with both dimms on one of the two x570 gaming plus and the rgb pro sl just runs the 3600 on the x570 mb's with 1.366v+,
xmp always needs to be deactived and the voltage min. set to 1.36v with soc 1,0875v - 1,1v (llc3)
oc impossible!

other ram-kits from always runs far above the the specified clocks....
crucial ballistix 4x8gb 3200 -> 3600/3666
hyperx fury 2x16gb 2666 -> 3200/3333 and predator 4x8gb 3200 -> 3333/3466

corsair never again with a amd system 😑

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
trickson
Adept II

I have not tried corsair ram I must admit and a lot of others.

I have stuck with G.Skill for a long time because they WORK as they say JUST like they say too.

I do not get the same results from any other stuff I have tried on AMD they just LOVE G.Skill RAM. 

And so do I!!! 

G.Skill FTW. 

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Sweet I will keep that in mind if ever I have to make a build and people don't like Corsair. I haven't met a single person who doesn't like it but there is a first for everything.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
ed6698
Adept II

I have to say the G.Skill ram I have has not given me any trouble at all. Been running it at 3800 15-15-15-24, it is B-die also.

F4-3600C16D-16GTZSW - G.SKILL

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum

I have the G.Skill Trident RGB as well and they are AMAZING! This stuff they are making at G.skill  is just the BEST you can ever use.

You can 100% be assured that once you pop them stick into the slots your system will boot up and the RAM will run at the ratted printed on the sticker speeds.

I can not tell you just how sweet Ripjaws RAM really is. 

I just LOVE it! 

I am looking at the DDR4 4400MHz stuff right now I am so pleased with G.Skill and I know with certainty it will run at that speed out of the box with no messing around. 

I have a very similar B-die kit that I run at 3800Mhz, 16-36 @ 1.35V. What voltage are you running to get the timings so low?

0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

I like your enthusiasm! G.Skill does make some great RAM. I've actually got a set of 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2133Mhz in my old FX-8350 build. I was very impressed with the quality of their stuff. That said it's worth noting that G.Skill doesn't actually make the RAM themselves. They only assemble it. They buy their DRAM from other companies and assemble it onto their own circuit board.

There's only actually a handful of companies that produce DRAM (Micron, Samsung, Sk.Hynix and a couple others), the rest simply buy and assemble. It's for this reason that a lot of the name brand memory suppliers are all excellent choices for a system build. Even a lot of the cheaper no-name brands can be really good. If you ever buy RAM that doesn't work with a system it's likely a compatibility issue and not because the RAM is shoddy.

That said I'm a fan of Crucial's (Micron) Ballistix series. It's excellent stuff too!

Well, that really depends on your mobo and BIOS version (perhaps) as I, too, had gotten the Patriot Steel Viper DDR4 4000MHz RAM (2x 16GB) and ran it with XMP profile enabled at 3600MHz and they ran just fine. Just got a pair of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 to replace the Patriot (which will go into another all AMD rig with an X570S Aorus Elite AX, pretty sure I'd have no trouble doing XMP profile (3600) at all.

RAM compatibility isn't a one size fit all question, some brands work well, others may be okay'ish, and yet others may have compatibility issue. It's down to luck of the draw, I've tried G. Skill (both X and Z series), Kingston (HyperX/Fury series), Mushkin and Crucial, and have had no real issue with any of them.

It's down to how good the board is in terms of RAM support, even those not from its own QVL RAM specs. 

Edit - BTW, this is in response to the OP, trickson, not jamesc359....I think I'd messed up when I chose the 'Reply' option.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2

I defiantly agree with you.

I will point out; I have had no problems ever with G.Skil RAM no matter what system I have it in I have used Kingstone HyperX and yes that stuff is also sweet.

But lately there seems to be more quality and reliability with G.Skill RAM, you surely do not have to rely on the "Luck of the draw" when you purchase any G.Skill RAM.

And the way AMD Ryzen Chips are with RAM it is so nice to get something to work right.

This is why I say G.Skill RAM it the Absolute VERY best RAM you can get for ANY RYZEN CPU PERIOD! 

And with things the way they are in today's world that is a HUGE plus and Win for the consumer. At least I think so. 🤔 

In my opinion, all of the Major RAM Manufacturers make excellent RAM Memory modules.

That is why Users need to do their homework when it comes to building or installing hardware in a PC.

Ryzen seems to be fairly sensitive to the type of RAM being installed. That is why Users need to go by either the Mobo QVL List, RAM Manufacturer QVL List, or AMD RAM Compatibility chart.

When I upgraded from my AM3+ PC to a AM4 PC I found that G-Skill RAM was made especially for Ryzen processors.  I also check all 3 QVL List that I mentioned and found it listed in all of them for my Ryzen and Mobo.

I haven't had any issues with the 2 x 16GB of 32GB Trident NEO RGB RAM Memory in my PC.

But on my AM3+ PC I used Corsair 4x4 - 16GB Kit. It worked without a hitch for many years until one Stick went bad in which I replaced with the same stick without issue.

To tell you the truth, I believe the Corsair RAM memory went bad because a week later my Mobo just imploded and it was actually my Mobo going bad that ruined the RAM Stick.

So from my experience both Corsair and G-Skill has been an excellent purchase. Other Users have just as good of an experience with other Major RAM manufacturers.

So it all depends on how good you do your homework before purchasing and installing RAM Memory in your PC.

Install the wrong or incompatible RAM and you will have Users saying the RAM Manufacturer is a piece of garbage as an example only.

Another thing that too many individuals overlook is the motherboard supporting the RAM. 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
trickson
Adept II

"Install the wrong or incompatible RAM and you will have Users saying the RAM Manufacturer is a piece of garbage as an example only."

This is so true.

I do not think that Patriot Viper Steel RAM is bad in any way at all. 

It is however not compatible with my MB and CPU, well with any of the Five systems I have all AMD Ryzen systems.

And YES, you should (I did but got the Viper Steel RAM anyway because it was cheap $60.00US) Always check your MB and CPU manufactures for the correct RAM.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The QVL exists for a reason. I just wish they updated it more often on some support sections because I know for a fact a few RAM configurations will work in systems that don't have it listed. My kit works on my ASRock X570 Taichi but isn't listed.

MikeySCT
Challenger

I can only talk about DDR4 RAM, gonna leave DDR3 and DDR2 out of the discussion tho I've had no issue with them too, so far, I've gotten 4x 8GB Spectrix XPG DDR4 3200 for my R9 3900X + X570 Aorus Xtreme when I first jumped on the Ryzen bandwagon. No problem though I'd not bothered looking thru the QVL spreadsheet for my mobo.

I then tried a pair of Patriot Viper RGB DDR4 3600C18 and did not have any issue either. Went on to 2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000Mhz and did not have any problem either. Pretty sure when I stick in that 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 3600C16 into my Aorus Xtreme, it's gonna purr along as well.

I guess that as long as you stick with the major memory brands like Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Patriot, G. Skill, Mushkin, etc that one should have more confidence that compatibility wouldn't be an issue. It's the odd brand like XPG, Oloy, etc that may be a tad, just a tad, 'iffy'. I took a risk getting the XPG Spectrix RAM for my 3900X/X570 mobo, yet they worked flawlessly together. That's why I'd said that sometimes, it boils down to luck.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
ed6698
Adept II

Checking memory and research the QVL should be the 1st thing done when looking at MBs. That would probably eliminate so many posts about memory issues. Back in the day I used to like Mushkin, but they just seemed to lost their way at one point. Haven't tried or looked at any of their ram recently.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
0 Likes
B1uedw01fie
Adept I

That is why I am running G. SKILL Ripjaws V DDR 4 16GBx2 memory its what I can afford for now.

Nothing wrong with that.  I check both the CPU compatibility and motherboard compatibility prior to purchasing RAM.  No need to overspend when it won't benefit you.

Exactly.

When you check the TUF X570 it states a whole lota G.Skill Ram and the CPU' it can take Mine can take all of them (That I have tried and are on the list) Ryzen 3 1300X (First gen) CPU then got a Ryzen 7 1700X (First gen) then I jumped up to the Ryzen 7 3700X (Third gen) And now all the way to the Ryzen9 3900X and HOLY CRAP this thing is fast and YES I get 100+ FPS at 4K high settings with this CPU at 4.3GHz.  

Oh, and here is something you all failed to see in my OP, I used the Viper Gaming Steel Extreme performance Memory in 3 yes that is correct THREE different MB's all with the CPU's I listed and NOT one would run that CRAP (sorry it is CRAP IMHO) at any settings other than 1066MHz **bleep**?! Says 4000MHZ can't even do come CLOSE! 

Talk about COMPLETE disappointment THREE F()*KING completely different Mother Boards same outcome.

MSI X570 and a Gigabyte B450 Gaming MB.

Pop in the G.Skill (any of their labels they put out and they work right out of the package at the RATED speed printed on the label. 

SO AGAIN:

G.Skill RAM IS THE ONLY RAM FOR RAYZEN IF YOU WANT TO SAVE TIME MONEY AND A BLOODY HEADACHE!

The only RAM I have ever used is either Corsair or GSKIL.  But yes I have always been able to install the RAM and it works as it is supposed to do.  By the same token anything I build for home use has had mostly an MSI board, not all X570 but that is what I recommend (sometimes it's a budget thing).  Network server's all I ever used is Supermicro, no contest.

For me, with my first Ryzen mobo (the one in my sig), I was hooked on X570 chipset, trouble free and stable. That's why, for my 2nd systems, I'd gone ahead with the more budget friendly Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX.

I had consider the excellent MSI B550 Tomahawk MAX Wifi (which, imo, is a great alternative to X570S mobo I'd gotten). In the end, I'd decided to stick with a brand and chipset I've been using without any issue.

I'd been an Asus fan for a while, and my X79 Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme was my first high end mobo and it, with my i7 3960X, rocked my world, and is still doing a nice job as my soon-to-be retired 2nd Gaming rig.

trickson
Adept II

cpuzz.jpg

0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

I can't say it is the BEST ram, but I have the Corsair Vengence LPX 3200Mhz sticks and they are pretty darn fantastic, and low profile too.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

Heh... I remember a time when G.Skill was trash. 

But I also remember a time when your choices were Kingston and Patriot, and that was it.

I've run Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot, Kingston, and even some "Mystery Meat" RAM that had no markings on it save for the VOID IF REMOVED sticker.

But my FX-8120 and the R5 5600 have booth gotten G.Skill. The 8120 got it because it was on a screaming deal. The 5600 got it because it was on sale for about $5 less than the Corsair Vengeance LPX. My Phenom II and Athlons favored Corsair and Kingston.

In reality, it's all relative. Stick with the reputable brands (as I said earlier, G.Skill used to be trash RAM. I run it now with good success so they've come a long way over the years) and you're bound to succeed. All the manufacturers will have bad kits pass through the QC process.

Performance over Pretty.

Axxemann you are correct there was a time when Kingston and Patriot were the best RAM for AMD but that time has come and past for some reason. 

Those were the days.... 

And where do you remember me from? 

0 Likes

Can't say that I do. Should I?

@trickson wrote:

And where do you remember me from? 

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

G. Skill certainly can still have issues.  Just look at the Flare X5 DD5 currently being offered for free with Ryzen 7000 series CPUs at Microcenter.  Many users had issues with the PC not booting at all with the included EXPO profile.  That can be resolved by raising the voltage above the profile setting, but it is really bad form to include AMD specific profiles that break functionality entirely.

petosiris
Miniboss

Glad you're happy with your RAM choice, @trickson. I'm also looking at G.Skill RAM to my Ryzen 9 5900X PC and have a few candidates for RAM but one thing is stopping me from making a decision: the Command Rate (CR) at the end of timings. Here are my candidates:

G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz CL16-22-22-42-1T 1,45V

G.Skill Trident Z Royal Gold DDR4 3600MHz CL16-22-22-42-?T 1,45V
G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4 3600MHz CL16-22-22-42-?T 1,45V
G.Skill Trident Z Black DDR4 3600MHz CL16-22-22-42-?T 1,45V
G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz CL16-22-22-42-?T 1,45V

Now, I understand that the Trident Z Neo series are made for the AMD CPUs in an AM4 socket and that the CR is 1T for that series. G.Skill don't specify the CR on any of their RAM sets, as far as I can see anywhere, and I want to avoid 2T CR memory which is primarily made for Intel CPUs and XMP 2.0 compatiblity.  Sure, XMP 2.0 can be used with AMD CPUs too, but it's more optimal to use 1T CR, since AMD CPUs use that and 1T is ca, 3.5% faster than 2T.

But what about the other series above, apart from Trident Z Neo, do anyone know what the CR is on them?

Any comments would be welcome!

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes
hocohen
Adept I

Hi,

I'm going to buy a PC for working with big Databases.

The CPU will be AMD Ryzen PRO 5965WX or 5975WX

The mother board will be GIGABYTE MC62-G40 or SuperMicro MB M12SWA-TF with 8 RAM channels.

I will need 256GB RAM.

Not taking price and future expansion into account, which is more effective RAM kit: 8*32 or 4*64?

I've learned that less RAM slots used, less stress for the memory controllers, so 4x 64GB would be better. Not sure though, wait for others to respond...

0 Likes

Go with the SuperMicro.  I'm well aware that they are usually more pricey, but they are the only boards I ever used for the large database usage.  In other words "networks".  The only server motherboards I did not have trouble with.  Now I'm sure there are probably some network administrators that will contradict that, but that has been my experience with the SuperMicro boards for server and workstations.

0 Likes

One other thing concerning the SuperMicro boards.  Please tell me that your going to use "registered RAM".

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

I'm glad you enjoy the brand.

I've enjoyed my HyperX Predator 3200 CAS16 both RGB and non-RGB sticks. The RGB sticks I ran in my setup at 3800 CAS18 with a few 5000 series CPUs .. the non-RGB stuff ran in my daughters setup @ 3600 CAS16. All 4 sticks ran in my wife's setup at 3600 CAS16

With the switch to AM5, I run some Gskill Ripjaws S5 6000 CAS30 (Hynix) sticks @ 6200 with slightly tuned subtimings... but in my daughter's setup with her Gskill Flare X5 6000 CAS36 (Samsung) sticks, has some quirky issues when you need to reboot

ThreeDee PC specs
Pygowsky
Adept II

The last time I bought G.Skill Ram, I bought a 32 GB Sniper set. Two of the sticks died after a couple years of use and didn't last long at all. I've got Corsair now and it works pretty good, haven't had any issues!

0 Likes

It's always about CL/frequency, and response time. Higher frequency? Then usually lower CL and vice versa.

There are situations where for instance you'd go for CL16 @ 3200 MHz and you'll tweak RAM a bit to let's say CL15 @ 3400 MHz and the response time would be equal to normal CL @ 4200 MHz.
Those are not working numbers. It's just a point (tables and users' scores are @ reddit).

Going even further it depends also from you build setup. It's for gaming? Great go for 3D and most of RAMs will work fine. If not 3d then check users results from OC (reddit).

PS Sometimes it's not even worth it. 3D or not 3D, B-dies or not might give you (within OC or XMP) results of +4% at all vs few days of struggle.

0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

I have 128 GB of 16CL 3600 MHz RAM and I'm not going to even try to overclock it.  I may try to enable EXPO though, if it's available on the motherboard (which I doubt), just to see how that goes.  But then I'll tune it back to the default values afterwards.

I've always selected parts from the top shelf and never bothered about overclocking.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

why do u need so much? VMs/sims?

0 Likes

@jacqueslemaire88 wrote:

why do u need so much? VMs/sims?

Hi Jacques,

Yes, I'll use VMs to run other operating systems from time to time, I use developing tools which needs lots of memory, I use video editing software, I play one resource demanding game (see my signature) and I plan to set aside half of my main memory for a disk cache on the game disk.  Plus, I hate to close other programs, like the browser, just to play a game.  The Chrome browser alone use 12+ GB memory with many open tabs.  🙂

Best,