Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Recommendation for a 420MM AIO cooler that fits in Fractal Torrent case

Hello,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a 420mm AIO cooler that will fit in the Fractal Torrent case. I wanted to get the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420, but I've been reading that it doesn't fit and I don't have the budget for a Corsair or anything in that price range. I'm currently in a tropical country where the ambient temperature is usually around 30c and my current Noctua NH-D15 isn't cutting it. My temps when gaming are generally around 86c which is right on the edge of the Ryzen 7800X3D's TJMAX of 90c. I can't afford a custom loop at this time. Thank you

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
10 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If you have $250 USD, then perhaps the Corsair iCUE LINK H170i QX140 RGB Fans 420mm radiator is the best choice.  I don't know what the constraints are for the Fractal Torrent case.  Are you sure you don't want a 360mm radiator?  You might just need to find the extra money so you can continue gaming without worry about your CPU cooking in it's socket.  Peace of mind is worth some amount of money.

CORSAIR iCUE LINK H170i LCD Liquid CPU Cooler - QX140 RGB Fans - Large 420mm Radiator - Fits Intel LGA 1700, AMD® AM5 - iCUE LINK System Hub IncludedCORSAIR iCUE LINK H170i LCD Liquid CPU Cooler - QX140 RGB Fans - Large 420mm Radiator - Fits Intel LGA 1700, AMD® AM5 - iCUE LINK System Hub Included

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

If I had the Money @BigAl01 , i'd have gone with the Corsair even though I don't like iCue lol

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
FunkZ
Exemplar

Fractal states that 3x140mm fans will fit the Torrent front but the picture it shows with the factory 2x180mm fans removed looks like you would need to dremel some of the solid panel out or it would block airflow, especially on the bottom fan?

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

FunkZ_1-1724513307413.png

If you're set on a 420 AIO have you looked at the Thermalright models? They're priced very aggressively.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Looking at that case makes me think that I would want to swap out the case for one with top ventilation / mounting for the large radiator.  I would set that case aside for another build and consider the Thermaltake Core P8.  It will hold even a 480mm radiator!  Of course, we are talking $$$ now, as this case is about $230 USD and you still need that big radiator.

Thermaltake Core P8 Tempered Glass E-ATX 2-Way Display Rotational PCI-E Full-Tower Gaming Computer Case, CA-1Q2-00M1WN-01Thermaltake Core P8 Tempered Glass E-ATX 2-Way Display Rotational PCI-E Full-Tower Gaming Computer Case, CA-1Q2-00M1WN-01

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

That case is something I'll have to consider in the future I think, a top-mounted would be the way to go, but I wonder how the airflow would be with all that glass. With an ambient temperature of 30C + I need a vortex of air going through it lol

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

It comes with a bracket for AIOs so you can remove the solid panel. I'll have a look at the Thermalright models. I kind of need a 420mm I think, I had an arctic 280mm in here before and I didn't cut it, so I figured I'd just go big. The Corsair is way out of my price range as I'm on a budget these days. The joys of early retirement....

tanazzz
Adept III

I have the Liquid Freezer 3 420mm in my Torrent, the issue is that the bottom fan mount grill does not fit under the radiator, so I had to remove it, and also the bottom filter does not fit anymore. I just put one of the 180mm fans below the GPU and it's sitting on the case's bottom with no issues. Biggest problem with that setup IMO is that there is no bottom filter so the PC will gather dust quicker, otherwise it works.

Axxemann
Forerunner

You might want to consider ditching the Torrent and going with a Meshify2. It'll take a 420mm AIO up top with ease. Fill every other possible fan mount with a 140mm fan and you're gonna get tons of airflow.

Barring that, front mount a 360mm AIO in the Torrent. Yes, there will be some obstruction, but it's not going to be the end of the world. Spin your fans up higher to overmatch the inch or so of obstructed rad. 

The Torrent lends itself better to air cooling. Meshify2, IMHO, was pretty much purpose built for water cooling of any flavor. I'm sure if I tried really hard and used a more flexible tube and different fittings, I could stuff a pair of 420mm rads with fans where I currently have 360s. 

Performance over Pretty.
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

It seems like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II may be the way to go, but I get your concerns about fit...

Found this Reddit thread that you may find helpful/relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/FractalDesign/comments/zvkrm9/fractal_torrent_with_arctic_liquid_freezer_ii....

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for that Reddit link, that's what I was looking for. However, my only other concern is the bottom filter. It's super dusty here and the dog hair will be a problem without it. I couldn't see in the picture if the bottom filter was still in place.