cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

My heart is broken.. the leather on the headset is giving up

I've just noticed that my faithfull RoG Strix 2.4 leather is wearing out.

I've been stitching and gluing the thing but yesterday, my glasses caught a bit and.... riiiiiiiiiiiiiip
Still! Not bad for a 3h daily driver for 3 years. I take good care of them with leather protector.

johnnyenglish_0-1697911525269.png

In the meantime I Just found some leather patches to make them new again.

johnnyenglish_1-1697911638745.png

I'll keep you guys posted for the result if you want to fix your trusty headsets.

The Englishman
9 Replies
britseopro
Journeyman III

I'm sorry to hear that your headset is experiencing issues, and I understand how frustrating it can be, especially if it's a beloved piece of equipment. Here are a few suggestions to potentially address the problem:

1. Check for Warranty: If your headset is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer to inquire about repair or replacement options.

2. Leather Repair Kits: There are leather repair kits available that can help you fix small cracks or tears in the leather. These kits often include adhesive and patches to repair damaged areas.

3. DIY Repair: If you're comfortable with DIY projects, you can attempt to repair the leather on your headset. You may need a needle and thread to sew up any tears or a strong adhesive to mend loose parts. Be careful not to damage the headset further during this process.

4. Replace Ear Pads: If it's the ear pads on your headset that are deteriorating, you might be able to find replacement ear pads that are compatible with your headset model. These are usually relatively easy to replace.

5. Professional Repair: Consider taking your headset to a professional repair shop, especially if the damage is significant. They may have the tools and expertise to fix the leather or replace it.

6. Prevent Further Damage: Once you've addressed the current issue, take steps to prevent further damage. This might include cleaning the leather regularly and storing your headset in a safe place when not in use.

7. Invest in a New Headset: If your current headset is beyond repair, or if you've had it for a long time and it's showing multiple signs of wear, it might be time to consider investing in a new headset.

I understand how attached we can become to our gaming equipment, but sometimes wear and tear are inevitable. Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you address the issue and extend the life of your headset, or you might find a new headset that offers even better performance and comfort.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

So, the repair is all about comfort, not just looks.  You don't want to feel that patch or rough spot on your ears, right?  I'd like to see how you go about doing that.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I going to cover the entire front facing leather with the new leather and hide the cutted down edges under the seams.

I'm hoping its like a brand new thing afterwards.

Plan C is, take it to a specialized house to put in new leather, its less than a new headset. About 25 Euros.

The Englishman

Take a few pictures please.  Share your learning experience.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Are they real leather? A shop might not be able to do anything for them if it is a synthetic material. I'd look into ordering new ear pads if that is an option.

The Patch, no, however its quite sturdy and seems good for a quick fix.

When it gets worse, I'll take it to a specialized house that has lots of experience with steering wheels, couches, small items, purses, custom jobs and so on. Don't worry, I know those guys, its a sure deal.

The Englishman
warpfact0r10
Paragon

I was able to find replacement pads for my HyperX Cloud 2s- a few different companies make them. You might be able to find replacements too. Getting them on can be a PITA, and the thickness may be slightly different, but it is certainly the more cost-effective route.

HyperX does have replacements on reputable shops but mines don't.....

There was some on eBay but reviews were full of "wrong size, doesn't fit" so didn't want to risk it.

The Englishman
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

First part:

The patch, now I have to use a small-like-sander-paper to smooth out the sharp edges from the cut.

Then I'll do the outer&inner layer trim for the side.

I'm even considering some stitching to make it more convincing. 

This is the wrong patch but its so sturdy that if done well it should last a couple or even more years of use.

johnnyenglish_1-1699223259704.png

The Englishman