Part Recommendations

zakalwe
Adept II

Is the 6800 XT a good buy right now?

I'm upgrading from an R9 290X.

CPU: i5-11600k

RAM: 32gb 3600 ballistix

Board: Z590 strix

The 290X has lasted me until now, and I recently changed from LGA1155 / i7-3770k, looking to get a GPU now that'll last me just as long hopefully. I will be watercooling it so + the price of a waterblock too.

1 Solution
Zer0GriD
Adept I

i'll give you my 6800xt oc 12gb if you want it.

Asus Sage wrx80 plus, 5955wx pro, 512gb 3200 ram ecc, watercooled, 5tb {2tb 0 raid}, Radeon Pro w6800

View solution in original post

60 Replies

Hopefully prices go down . I was even considering buying a used crypto mining (probably) card from aliexpress, they are still like £300.. but I could save 300+ and end up with a perfectly fine card, or it could die after a month..  but now I don't have to worry about that. What fortune 🙂 feels like I won a competition.

I'm not 100% sure prices will drop to what we saw in the days of the R7 and R9 series of GPUs where an entry level card can be had for around 100 bucks local currency. I remember buying my R7 250 for a whopping $70CAD on sale was a regular priced $110CAD GPU at the time, all thanks to the whole gigabyte of DDR5! 

My R7 250 lasted me from 2014 until early 2021 when I replaced it with the RX570 I'm currently using, and of course that was during a time when GPU prices were pretty stupid; but I found it for $120 on the local buy & sell, and the guy even let me haggle down to $100 even since I was bringing cash. But seriously, dude, scoring a 6800XT made me turn GREEN with envy!

Performance over Pretty.
eebiii
Miniboss

@Axxemann Let me know if you go for the 6700xt reference card. I have a cold blanket for it that didn't work on my 6750xt. Never opened block out of bag. It was a 1 1/2" off on VRM's on 6750xt. I have no need for it, and I am passed my window for returning it. @Zer0GriD is rubbing off on me. 

IMG_2483-1.JPGIMG_2485-1.JPGIMG_2486-1.JPG

My dude... that's so ****ing awesome! I'll keep you posted since it'll be about March when I have the freed up funds for a GPU. And it works in my favor since I had a plan to water block EVERYTHING! I'm specifically looking at the AsRock Challenger D, and according to a few places online it uses a reference PCB.

Performance over Pretty.
eebiii
Miniboss

Awesome! Let me know. If you want PM me your address and I’ll stick it in the mail. 

As soon as I have the GPU on order, you have a deal!

I'm ordering my new case in the next week or two, since my TT Versa H22 just isn't cutting the mustard anymore. I might put my old 8120 setup back into it for funzies, since it still has SOME use.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

After reading of the sharing of goodwill by @Zer0GriD towards @zakalwe and @eebiii towards me (his offer has me looking at a higher end GPU than I originally planned for, but hey... it'll make handing this rig down to my nephew in a year or two even more awesome since we'll be able to build a custom loop together) I couldn't help but go on a bit of a rant on the state of the GPU market.

Rantmode ON.

TBH, I'd like to see GPU pricing along the lines of this:

Entry level 1080p GPU with 8gb VRAM (seems to be the bare nuts minimum these days) able to run only on board power for $100. Perfect for breathing life into an old PC that doesn't have on-board graphics since that went the way of the dodo bird back around AM3 or AM3+; or for your SFF build that doesn't have an IGPU. Call it the RX x500 class.

Next step up would be the same GPU with more oomf. 6-pin PCIe power, basically this would be the baseline for most people's supreme budget builds, whereas the 500 model would be a neutered version of this card. Probably best paired with a 4 core CPU that's dirt cheap. I'd call it your kid-sibling's Minecrafting rig. Not something too expensive, but not Bulldozer.  We'll name this one the RX x600 and sell it for around $150, with a 20% performance uplift over the RX x500.

Next we'll move on to the lower mid-range card. This one will not RT but will be a 1080p POWERHOUSE, absolutely taking everyone's lunch on every title at 1080p ULTRA while still being able to deliver 1440p medium-high, but you're not going to break over 75 fps doing it. Give it 10-12gb of X-class VRAM, 8 pin PCIe power. Sell for $250, and call it the RX x700. 25% uplift over the 600, with underperforming chips being binned down and neutered to fit a 650 model to slot in between the 600 and 700.

Upper mid-range RX x800: This one will be the 1440p POWERHOUSE. It'll also push 4K-Ultra to decent framerates, but is going to suck at ray tracing. 12gb of X-class VRAM. Charge about $350-400, and again, about 25% uplift over the 700. 

Top mid RX x800XT: Same basic specs as the x800, but with more RT capability. $150 premium.

Lower flagship RX x900XT: This is going to be the one that really starts to compete with the monstrosities that nGreedia spew out. 16gb of X-class VRAM, very good RT, amazing 4K performance, warp-speed GPU based rendering, a gamer's wet dream, and a great card for people who work their GPUs hard for WORK. This the more budget friendly option to the x080 from Evil Green that doesn't take a beating in performance. I think it would sell like hotcakes around $650.

Middle Flagship RX x900XTX: Crank up the x900XT by 20-25%. Call it an $800 card.

THE BE-ALL-END-ALL, LAST WORD in Radeon GPUs: Meet the RX x950XTX. 50 more XTXs, more performance. This one will out raster the x090, match it in RT, and do it for about $1000 in a package that can actually fit in an ATX Mid-tower with a 360mm rad/fan combo in the front. Let Jensen have the Ray Tracing title. Let him charge more than most people pay for rent. This will be the top-shelf card for people who still care about their bank accounts.

AMD has always been a bastion of performance on a budget. It's why I went AMD over 20 years ago. Zen 3 absolutely knocked it out of the park in terms of outperforming all but the very top end Intel 12th gen SKUs, and they did it for a lower price. Zen 4 and 13th Gen are really closely matched, so much so that Intel has had to self-destruct to maintain market share. But I've been on AMD for so long, I don't see myself switching to Intel ever again.

I look at it like this: AMD is like the venerable 350cid GM small-block V8. Tons of them out there, tons of mods and power potential, but they can be fickle if you don't do it right. You can turn it into a million mile workhorse (like I did with my 8120) or turn it into a 1000hp firebreather (my plan for my future AM5 build) and everything in between (the plan for my AM4.) Intel can't build a decent GPU to save their life. They've had to take a beating on their stock to ship more CPU numbers than AMD to stay dominant. nVidia are like an ultra-niche supercar. Sexy AF, everyone "oohs" and "aahs" when you tell them you have an upper end nVidia GPU, but they pretty much charge supercar boutique pricing. And they don't make CPUs. They also treat their AIBs like crap (I'll reference EVGA here.) AMD has a great idea with the chiplet design. Couple that with binning good and bad GPUs, and you'll be ale to offer something at every level and price point from $100 to $1000.

Rantmode OFF.

TL;DR: This lone OG (Old Gamer) has some ideas that AMD is welcome to use for the next next generation of GPUs to sell a bunch, eat up some market share and make some GPU buyers happy as long as they can ship enough units. And if Doctor Lisa ever does read this and tells the minions to make it so, I'll happily take my compensation in a lifetime supply of CPUs, Motherboards and GPUs.

Performance over Pretty.
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @zakalwe @Zer0GriD (everyone!) I'm sorry for being late to this discussion. I noticed you wanted to use the Private Message feature to connect with each other. I'm going to grant the permission to send each other PMs in just a second. And will let you know as soon as I'm done. 

By the way, this conversation is another example of why I love my job! You guys rock! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
zakalwe
Adept II

6900 XT from zero is on the way, will post pics when hooked up to my loop 🙂

KENTEK
Adept I

I think is a good deal, the cheapest is at 600£ at OverclockersUK. I got my RX 6800XT sapphire nitro + SE for 650 £ last week I'd say is a good price, is a beauty and a beast of a card that isn't far from 6900XT or 6950XT. Or you can check RX 6950XT Merc on amazon or New egg which are less than 750 £

0 Likes
Zer0GriD
Adept I

i think all series are great deals as we speak. i purchased my 6900xt brand new off stock x for 700 shipped.. but i'd go for the 7k series if possible. especially with the limited run ekwb has for thier waterblocks getting ready to come out. most gaming systems are fine on 12-16gb from what i've seen and should be for at least 4 more years. my sons gaming system has the craziest huge games like overwatch, genshen,, steam, etc. and the 6700xt tuf with ryzen 7 of his shows no weaknesses after several months. overkill is when you simply dont care about money. amd knows this too, thats probably why they dont squeeze the consumer for as much as possible like nvidia.  i do know too if evga had thier styling on amd , there'd be a hostage suituation at computer stores to get one! lol. especially the 7k series for what they charge.

the bottom line is guys, you gotta pay to play. so work hard and have fun. you'll reap the reward!

if you settled up with a previous gen though i'd def buy tuf series just because they set a higher bar for longevity with thier cooiling per thier claims. 

Asus Sage wrx80 plus, 5955wx pro, 512gb 3200 ram ecc, watercooled, 5tb {2tb 0 raid}, Radeon Pro w6800

I am a huge fan of the TUF series. They build what I consider are bullet-proof components. But over the last couple years, I think I have bought more ROG because I can get it cheaper.

0 Likes
zakalwe
Adept II

About 70% done rebuilding my whole rig now 🙂 ordering a 27" 1440p gaming monitor tomorrow to make better use of the card 🙂

It's... BEAUTY!

Performance over Pretty.
eebiii
Miniboss

It looks Great! Can't wait to see the final version. How is the card? Let me guess, like a Ferrari that just needs a tiny bit of tuning before it destroys anything in its path? lol  love it!

zakalwe
Adept II

Almost done with the rebuild, card runs amazing :) can't wait to get a new monitor for it.Almost done with the rebuild, card runs amazing 🙂 can't wait to get a new monitor for it.

zakalwe
Adept II

All setup with new monitor 🙂

https://streamable.com/fij8jo

Thanks again zero!

WHAT A SETUP! I'm jealous! That rig looks awesome. Also... Heroes of the Storm I see..... 👀

@zakalwe Turned out Awesome! You are setup now. Monitor looks great too. I would love to get one of those curved monitors. My problem is I have been doing my computing on a 48" OLED for the last 2-3yrs and I can't really see on those screens anymore. My eyes are shot from the big screen. 

Sounds like you're at the point where bifocals might be needed. I've been dreading my next eye exam for a while now. I have to take my glasses off if I look at my phone, or read something close to my face.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Bro... that was some shaky video!

What kind of monitor are you running? I saw that it's curved, but is it a VA or IPS panel, and what's the refresh? I'm leaning towards IPS for my next monitor because they're less smeary at the expense of some color definition (like black not being fully black) but I play shooters mainly, so max FPS is my jam.

Performance over Pretty.