Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Axxemann
Forerunner

I want a 55" monitor on the wall.

As the title states.

I'm looking for something in the 55-60" range, 4K, 120Hz capable, no frills. I know Smart TVs can be had for cheap in that size, but I don't want all the "Smart" junk. It's going to be plugged into my PC 100% of the time for watching movies, or for gaming from my recliner after I get my hips done. I don't Netflix, Amazon Prime or any of that stuff, preferring to "Sail on the Bay." I play shooters, and every last frame counts so I need the high refresh.

OLED is off the table too, because Burn-in sucks.

Performance over Pretty.
19 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

That is tough.  NVidia had the BFGD push in 2018, but basically modern TVs killed that push when they also gained variable refresh rate abilities.  Hard to find monitors over 43-49 inches now, unless they are commerical kiosk displays and then they tend to lack the high refresh rates.

I personally use an LG GX 65" TV for that purpose.  I have been using it as a PC screen for 3.5 years and no burn in to speak of.  It also allows you to set the PC HDMI input as the place to go when the TV starts instead of the home screen that has all the smart TV nonsense, which i also do not use.

Your LG... what's the refresh? 

Performance over Pretty.

The LG TV is 4K and 120Hz.  It accepts full 120 Hz 4K and 10-bit over HDMI 2.1.  No DisplayPort.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Give this newsflash a read before saying no to OLED; they may not be available in time for you however.

LG teases its new 2024 OLED TVs with 4x higher AI performance, even better image quality

"LG's new fleet of 2024 OLED TVs feature gaming goodness at up to 4K 144Hz through HDMI 2.1 connectivity, as well as advanced TVs that feature Game Optimizer that lets gamers "easily switch" between display presets designed for different gaming genres. There's also NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync compatibility with the new 2024 OLED TVs that will eliminate immersion-breaking tearing and stuttering for the most dynamic and true-to-life gaming experiences, adds LG."

We should expect a full detailed rundown of LG's new fleet of 2024 OLED TVs at CES 2024, which kicks off next week in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.We should expect a full detailed rundown of LG's new fleet of 2024 OLED TVs at CES 2024, which kicks off next week in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Still not planning on OLED. 

Performance over Pretty.

I'm not here to convince you otherwise, this is more like an information reply.
OLED burn-in is a real pain in.. and for that matter horrible to use in commercial/retail.

From my experience from implementing Digital Signage, Samsungs are the most resillient to burn in, beware that "Burn In" also happens on regular, backlit LCD, however it takes sooooo looooong to happen that no one cares.

Example: Had 12 AskCody regular Led backlit LCD tablets from LG that burned in 2 years, same image, 24/7.

Having said that, the trick is never keep static images for prolongued time, how?

Change background and lockscreen, have them cycle between images or something. Then the regular use won't do anything bad.

How does it take?
Worst case scenario, 4 to 6 months but usually around a year while keeping the same static image, like: Queeing Systems that only changes a number.

Vendor trickeries only mitigate the burn in, does not avoid it.

For You @Axxemann 

Sony still holds on to old tech, like the headphone jack on the Xperia lineup, so.. look for 2022  Sony TVs with VA panel, some like this one have Variable Refresh Rate available. If Sony is still not the choice, you have to dig in hard cause most vendors went on the OLED bandwagon.

Sony X85K Review (KD-43X85K, KD-50X85K, KD-55X85K, KD-65X85K, KD-75X85K, KD-85X85K) - RTINGS.com

The Englishman

One of my gaming buddies just upgraded to a 65" Sony. He went that route because it's got better integration with his PS5 and all the other addons. I think he's running an X85.

I'm not as brand loyal. I just want it reliable and idiot-simple to set up. 1 cable from my lone HDMI out (better still if the TV is DisplayPort capable, I have 2 more of those available) and a power-on from the remote. Sound can come from the PC, and I'll worry about upgrading my speakers when I actually find a TV. It's not going to see tons of use, since I prefer gaming from a proper desk with a conventional 27" 1440p IPS panel. Thing is, I know I'm going to be convalescing for a couple of months and sitting at my desk is gonna be tough for a decent chunk of that time. It'll also come in handy for when I have company over and want to show them videos or photos of stuff. Easier from a ginormous 4k screen on the wall than having 4 people crowd around my desk.

Performance over Pretty.

This pretty much exactly how I use the LG.  The is a single HDMI cable from my PC to the Denon X3700H receiver, and then another out to the TV.  

I have the TV input set to PC mode to allow for the full RGB signal.  And the TV is set to open directly to than input instead of the home screen.  Like you, I do not use the smart features of the TV at all. 

So far after 3.5 years I haven't had any issues.  The PC has been used mostly for gaming and movies in that time, very little web browsing or productivity work.` 

I also would have preferred a monitor to a TV, but as I mentioned the large monitor push went belly up a few years ago when TVs gained variable refresh rates.

Axxemann
Forerunner

Just an update for everyone that had even the slightest interest:

I ended up with a Sony X85K 65" TV. When I pulled the trigger on it a couple weeks ago, Best Buy Canada had it on for an even Grand. I ended up cancelling that order about a week and change later... Their installers are a bunch of schmucks who don't understand I WORK NIGHTS. Good thing though. Costco had it on for under $900 this week. So with their "White Glove" installation, and them calling me to make sure that the time slot they designated was going to work... all in it came out $200 less than Best Buy.

It took some fiddling but I finally got it into 120Hz gaming mode, and that's where it stays. Not gonna connect the TV to the internet at all. I'm treating it like a monitor. The new La Z Boy and bed come on Tuesday morning coming up. I just need a means of putting my mouse and keyboard across my lap in the recliner so I can Helldive in comfort.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think that sounds great.  I've bought Sony TV's for the past 2 or 3 generations, with our current one being a 75" hung on the wall with Klipsch speakers providing the sound.  Let's hear about your sound system for the new gaming platform.  Sound bar or something more elaborate?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

For now, just the speakers in the TV, or the ones on my PC. I've also got my JBL Quantum 910 headset which can do 7.1 Dolby. 

I'm not in a big hurry for anything major for surround sound right now. I have my headset and it sounds awesome. If I do allocate funds, it'll probably be more JBL. I'm even thinking of making use of my SPDIF port.

Performance over Pretty.

No sir. I asked my PC Parts guy about those. He said they were clearing them out of stock for a reason. Not good kit. They had tons of RMA issues with them.

Performance over Pretty.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does your PC Parts guy recommend then?

He actually recommended either a Sony, Samsung or LG.

Performance over Pretty.

I figured I should add this: Going with the X85 was suggested by my gaming homie RPG. He's a PS5 gamer, and picked one up around Boxing Day here in Canada. Been thrilled with it since. Of course, he's got a Sony bias since it's all seamlessly integrated.

For me it was more of a money-based decision. The X85 was cheaper than LG and Samsung. Blacks weren't as deep, but being a guy who games on an IPS panel as his primary, I'm used to it. I normally have the gamma turned up a few points in games so I can see enemies in the shadows a bit easier.

Best part, I only lost about 40fps in Helldivers 2 going to the 4k from the 1440p. 140 avg to 100 avg with every other setting the same. Not mad about it, still very much playable. HD2's engine cap is 144fps as it is. Gonna test out some more games once the rest of my furniture comes on Tuesday. I'll have to see what the next generation of AMD GPUs can do. I'm using a 6800XT right now, and it's doing some awesome stuff in Rage mode under the water block. I haven't really messed with a serious OC yet since I'm generally bouyncing off refresh cap or engine cap at 1440p. If I spend more time on the 4k, I might decide to start tuning more.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Sounds like you have a very good gaming setup then.  I'm wondering what the next generation of Radeon GPUs will bring (RDNA 4).  I have one 7800 XT GPU that is working very well and three 7900 XT GPUs that are working even better.  Other computers on my LAN have a 6750 XT, a 6700 XT, and two 5700 XT GPUs.  

All I need is a table/desk type of thing that will clear the recliner and have enough real estate for my mouse, keyboard and Hyte jug. Got the USB cable extension for the keyboard, mouse is wireless. A new controller for when I play NFS Heat or Rocket League might be in order, too. Might as well upgrade the Logitech to something wireless. Tossup between a PS5 and Series X controller. 

Performance over Pretty.
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Are you going to post a picture of the setup when it's all completed?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED