cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Help checking my build

Hey Folks, 

I'm new to the world of PC building, just wondering if the following is a rig good enough to play modern games like TheFinals and Cyberpunk (medium settings). 

Radeon RX 6600

Asus Prime B650 (AM5)

Ryzen5 7600 (AM5)

500W PSU

16GB RAM

I've always been donated bits of friends old PCs for cheap so it's a massive leap to build my own moneywise

1 Solution
ThreeDee
Paragon

what make/model power supply? 

That's the one component you want to spend extra on and get a quality unit

You can check out:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

..and multiple hardware review sites before purchasing anything

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

9 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If you are aiming at cyberpunk and you dont have budget for more than a RX6600, then its time to compromise.

AM4 boards are more affordable, get a 5700X3D, 16gb 3600 DDR4 and what you save will allow a better GPU, maybe near a 6750xt or more. 

This should get you more BANG although AM4 is EOL. 

The Englishman

I 2nd this opinion.

I'm very excited.
ThreeDee
Paragon

what make/model power supply? 

That's the one component you want to spend extra on and get a quality unit

You can check out:

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

..and multiple hardware review sites before purchasing anything

ThreeDee PC specs

oops, I missed the reply button and hit 'solution' 

Anyway, was going to ask, if you have a trusted brand like 'be quiet' or 'corsair' and the PSU is rated 80+ can you just get anything that's got a high enough power supply?

And then, how do you know what power draw to expect to need?

With your setup .. I'd go with a 650wtt 80+ Gold at least .. I'll tend to go overkill on PSU's for the setups in my households just so there is room to grow 

Stay away from "White" or 80 Plus rated PSU's .. generally garbage 

I am not a brand loyalist when it comes to PSU's .. I go by ratings/reviews, and pricing

I tend to get "B" tier units

Corsair HX1200 80+ Platinum in my main AM5 rig

Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold in my daughter's AM5 setup

Seasonic Focus 850wtt 80+ Platinum in my wife's AM4 soon to be AM5 setup

Rosewill 850wtt 80+ Gold in my server (AM4) and same PSU in my mother's setup (AM5 7600 setup using just the iGPU .. waaay overkill)

ThreeDee PC specs
IceGlider
Adept I

Hi there!

I totally agree with ThreeDee. But not only should you reconsider your power supply, but also verify your total power consumption (Watts). Your actual PSU appears to be too weak to handle loads, let alone power spikes from the grid.

ThreeDee's website reference is most likely your best shot for peace of mind.

Regards from Canada.

Wouldn't a surge protector deal with any spikes from the grid?

Yes, it would. But not from slow voltage drops (brownouts) or prolonged power cutoffs.

In these cases, you definitely need a good UPS (with sine wave regulator).

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I recommend a name-brand 750 W PSU (or higher wattage) for this build and you won't have to worry about capacity or stability in your system.  I do like the Be-Quiet series of PSUs (I have used several of them).  Look at reviews and find a good one on sale.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".