Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

leez
Adept I

GPU UPGRADE HELP

Hi 

Looking for some advice to upgrade my work computer to a gaming / work computer. 

I currently have a NVIDIA QUADRO RTX 4000 8GB, RAM 64.0 GB, Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2223 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz. Dell Tower precision 5820

I would like my son to be able to play games, one game is ARC. I have no clue about graphics cards.

Can I add another card and keep the original? Which GPU can I add. 

Much appreciated 

2 Solutions
rtbh99
Challenger

what you currently have is a workstation computer, it isnt really suited to gaming, nor is it cost effective to upgrade what you have. that pc could become a home server or something, and you could buy a new computer for your son.

but it isnt suitable for gaming, and anything you drop into it will be held back severely by the cpu

---
lets talk about rtbh99

View solution in original post

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

From your son's perspective, you are better off buying the family a second computer, suitable for gaming.  I would leave your workstation alone since it's something you depend on.  The holidays are just around the corner.  Why wait a few years?  You already have a gamer on your hands.....

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rtbh99
Challenger

what you currently have is a workstation computer, it isnt really suited to gaming, nor is it cost effective to upgrade what you have. that pc could become a home server or something, and you could buy a new computer for your son.

but it isnt suitable for gaming, and anything you drop into it will be held back severely by the cpu

---
lets talk about rtbh99
otacon
Adept III

I think the game your son wants to play is Ark: Survival Evolved? Assuming that, the minimum hardware for the game is a 4 core CPU and a 2GB GPU, both from around 2012.  Your PC should be able to play it without needing any upgrades. The QUADRO line of GPUs is designed for workstations, but they can play games as well. I believe gaming equivalent for the RTX 4000 is a RTX 2070.

Steam has a refund policy so long as you played the game for less than 2 hours. Before committing to buying new hardware, I would check to see if the games play OK with what you have.

If you buy a new GPU, anything that released within the last couple years and has more than 8GB of memory like the RX 6800 XT should last quite some time! 😁

Hi

thanks for your response.  I believe he is now playing Ark: survival ascended. He wants to use my two 5K 27 inch monitors too. So it seems the 
 computer is a good one but am I right to say the graphics card is the most important with gaming then the processor?   If I did upgrade the GPU would I achieve better game play or would I be better off investing in a new computer. In a few years. Many thanks 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

From your son's perspective, you are better off buying the family a second computer, suitable for gaming.  I would leave your workstation alone since it's something you depend on.  The holidays are just around the corner.  Why wait a few years?  You already have a gamer on your hands.....

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Words of a wise man