cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

GPU Sag is a real issue today! Anti Sag accessory.

Lets talk about SAG. Easy there.. GPU sag I mean.

Today, graphic cards are becoming heavy weight champions and the future doesn't look brighter too.
Mother boards manufactures are even reinforcing at least one PCI-E slot.

johnnyenglish_0-1680949178886.png johnnyenglish_1-1680949228871.png johnnyenglish_2-1680949423420.png johnnyenglish_11-1680950755930.png johnnyenglish_0-1680951470982.png

Does it worry You? Do you have sag on Your precious graphic card?

I never worried about this before and I don't have one of the biggest offenders. Until last week when I noticed a tiny bit and got worried.
Since this "anti-sag" was already on the plans, more for the aesthetics than utility (I know...) its even more useful.

Got it on Amazon in a deal for under 30€ (29ish), so that's a steal since the MSRP was at 60 at launch. 

johnnyenglish_3-1680949784928.png

However.. cheap options are plentiful out there.

johnnyenglish_5-1680950040616.pngjohnnyenglish_6-1680950073274.pngjohnnyenglish_8-1680950146796.png

Or creative ones

johnnyenglish_12-1680951033884.png

johnnyenglish_13-1680951198699.png

The Englishman
36 Replies
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Funko pop, LEGOs, or if you want to get fancy one of those Lian Li anti-sag brackets 🙂

derbycrown
Adept II

needed this a couple years ago

Vynski
Exemplar

Where did you get that "creative one" from? Amber?

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

LOL Vynski!!! You're funny - these ideas were all Johnny 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Thanks Amber.  I try to add humor to everything.

Axxemann
Forerunner

I definitely need a jack for my GPU now. The RX570 was teeny. The 6800XT... it sags more than my [REDACTED]'s [REDACTED].

Performance over Pretty.

Hey, you guys have me debating the idea of upgrading to a new GPU.  I guess I had better check my 5700 XT and see what it's up to.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 6700xt strix (1.7kg, 3 slot) and gpu sag was very small but I did use fishing line to fix it.

RoG Strix cards are not the biggest offenders, they are way overbuilt. The TUF however sag a lot.

The Englishman
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think strix and tuf have more versions.

tuf 6700xt (3 slot) should have small sag like strix and they look similar but I could be wrong.

I am really happy with temperatures. strix 6700x have same cooler as strix 3090 and maybe strix 6800xt.

My gpu did work for 1 year without additional support and sag was very small but card have good support and there is no damage or visual change.

When installed my GPU I put a piece of wood  to hold up very simple solution easy fix , I dont know why the XFX don't come with a support post as its wouldn't be that much of an expense to put one in the box 

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

This same thing happened with my GPU, and I actually purchased the uphere support stand that you have in the middle of the cheap options 🙂 It was a little tricky to install by myself, but my GPU looks straight now! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
Axxemann
Forerunner

I'm seriously debating building my own jackscrew to prop up the Pulse while it's still in Air Cooled trim after I get the new case. Looking at the PCB through the cooler and backplate, I think the sag will be cut down a bit once I water block it.

I'll have to do some rummaging around to find the parts, though.

Performance over Pretty.
ThreeDee
Paragon

I just picked up an ASRock B650E Steel Legend and it has a GPU Anti-SAG plate that mounts to the bottom 2 right stand off screws as a kind of motherboard attachment

B650E Steel Legend WiFi(L2).png

works pretty good

ThreeDee PC specs

More companies need to do this!

Performance over Pretty.

If your case id black .. it's totally unnoticeable

ThreeDee PC specs
jamesc359
Forerunner

I love the Mario anti-sag bracket. I just hope he doesn't mistake your video card for a coin block! 🤣

petosiris
Miniboss

Thanks for this thread, @johnnyenglish!  I have an older PC I could use an anti-sag accessory in.  I don't need it for my new PC though, since the motherboard is mounted horizontal in the case.

ThermalTake Core X9ThermalTake Core X9

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
Axxemann
Forerunner

So I was looking at my 6800XT today, and it looked really droopy. I haven't made it to the hardware store to rig up a jackscrew, but I had an extra paper straw from my takeout order from last night. I also have some really sharp knives. So, I made a sag-stick that was really short to prop up the corner of the GPU under the fan shroud and sit on top of my 3.5" drive cage.

Performance over Pretty.

Time to get creative 😁

The Englishman

@Axxemann wrote:

[...] I had an extra paper straw from my takeout order from last night. I also have some really sharp knives. So, I made a sag-stick that was really short to prop up the corner of the GPU under the fan shroud and sit on top of my 3.5" drive cage.

Sounds creative, very McGyver-like!  But how did you manage to make a sag-stick from a paper straw?  🤔

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

Easy. I like sharp blades.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
rtbh99
Challenger

nobody seems to be taking into account the existence of rotated or inverted cases. hang the gpu from the ceiling of the case and it wont sag at all!

---
lets talk about rtbh99

Vertical mount is pretty fine and no sag but those with AIO or custom loop reservoir wont flip the case... 😕

The Englishman
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I like creative solutions, but they need to be sturdy, and able to withstand movement of the case.  This includes rotating the case to lay it on its side.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
iafbt
Adept I

if the sag gets any worse on my 6800xt, I'm gonna run a ziptie from the backplate to the top fan vents of my case. not quite as fancy but it'll work. I hope?

3950x, 6800xt. sempron fi

It will. The dead RX580 that originally brought me to this forum was done up that way in my case. My 6800XT was just a bit too long to fit in my case without hacking away at some of the drive cage frame and case frame itself (it went from reasonably sturdy to flimsy in a hurry) and left me nowhere to run a zip tie off the backplate, so I cut a paper drinking straw to length and used it to jack up the corner on the fan shroud.

Performance over Pretty.
eebiii
Miniboss

1 hr 4 mins to print and 20 mins for my daughter to paint. I printed this a 100mm high, but it can be adjusted. There is all kinds of GPU support stl files if you have access to a 3d printer. 

All of my PC's have a pci-e riser cable and I'm not able to test it.

IMG_2602-1.JPG

jaandoh
Challenger

I love the anti Sag devices, where the members are thinking outside the box. 

The pic of the super Mario and the other pic of the 3d printed one are both super..

I like those because you can choose something that reflects your personality or interests... 

Like if your into fishing, it could be a fish shaped object... 

And I have a question for @eebiii

How on earth did you make your 3d printed one adjustable? 

You can change the dimensions in the 3d printer software. I have a flsun SR and it took a little bit to get use to the software, but I figured it out.

And there's me looking around the waist of the figure to see if was a screw type adjustment lol... 

Yeah I love the 3d printed style, as soon as I saw it, I pictured king Kong holding up the graphic card... 

0 Likes
lowteck
Miniboss

ezgif.com-resize (6).gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
loki1944
Adept II

Only an issue if you don't know how to install your GPU to begin with; these gpu brackets are a marketing gimmick. Never had PCB break even with 3 way sli GTX 580 Classified, 290X Matrix CF, 390X Strix CF, 780Ti Matrix SLI, 980Ti Strix SLI, 1080Ti STRIX Sli, RTX 2080ti Black XC, 4080, 7900XT MERC 310 with cards used on multiple cases and motherboards and 0 sagging. I don't even use that emperor's new clothes gpu bracket.

0 Likes

You are factually wrong. This topic has been explored lots of times by several content creators. There are ways of reinforcing it like Jayz2cents did but.. thats it.

First, you need to understand that the vast majority of people don't know much. And thats not going to change, its perfectly normal. People will try the best they can.

Second, there are cards that are borderline offensive on SAG issues no matter how you assemble it, don't make this like nvidia. "Its user error" because that is wrong. Not mentioning low quality cases that flex or get the the screws all chewed up, no matter how good is the assembly.

I also want to point out that I never had a SAG issue with RoG, they are really sturdy big but sturdy, however this leads me to third point.

People might want to buy one like I did, for aesthetics. Not really for SAG.

No matter what is your experience, there always be valid situations and let me be honest, stating lots of cards and saying that they never SAG is kind of irrelevant.... See first point.

The Englishman
ed6698
Adept III

This is one thing I like about my case for the PC. It has a anti sag bracket built into it, I also gave it a little assistance with another one.

Anti Sag BracketAnti Sag Bracket 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero - Ryzen 5950X - Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black - 32Gb GSkill DDR4 3800 - Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC V2 - Samsung 980 Pro, 970 Evo Plus, Corsair Force GT - Super Flower 1000W Leadex SE Platinum
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Most good cases nowadays will come with an anti-sag bracket. My fractal torrent did.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED