cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Custom Keyboards - what would yours look like?

I don't know about you.. but I love custom things, especially for gaming set ups! My current theme is purple (pictured below) 

desk.jpg

But recently, my partner and I have been looking into custom keyboards and found this website https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html where you can customize the type of keys, along with colors. Here's how his turned out: 

keyboard.jpg

I'm only a tiny bit jealous... Here's the one I'm planning on getting in the future - 

Amber_AMD_1-1652283447672.png

For inspiration, what would your custom keyboard look like if you ordered one? OR are there other websites you all have used for custom keyboards? @MikeySCT - I saw in another post this was a hobby of yours so I'm interested to hear your thoughts! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
25 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm actually excited to be a lurker on this topic.

I'm still rocking my original out-of-the-box Razer Arctosa keyboard from like 2015. So I'm very interested to see what people say about custom keyboards.

I'll just be here: the-office-observing

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Also, @Key-J  - lurk away! Did you try designing one on the website yet? It's pretty fun haha 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes
Nagrenol
Challenger

You watchin JayzTwoCents by any chance Amber 😋

Can't say I've ever been into getting my perps customized. Just black and some rgb is most I go.

I do have the 2 keys that came with the red devil 6800XT LE, but they seem a bit OTT to use.. on anything really

#plainjane

@Nagrenol I haven't really checked out JayzTwoCents before... but he has a ton of great content, even around keyboards. Gonna do myself some good little watch parties later! Thanks for the recco 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

@Amber_AMDah no worries, I just saw his video from last week about nzxt's new custom keyboards and then I came on here and saw this post 😃

..coincidence.. or...

Nagrenol_1-1652302918888.png

I would like a lot a custom made but I ended picking a modular keyboard instead.

I can buy keycaps to made it more "mine" but unfortunately my switches are not Cherry MX, I can only get RoG proprietary Optical Mechanical Switches, so its hard.

The best CUSTOM I can go is WASD keys colored differently plus an ESC key while putting the NUMPAD on the left instead of the right.

The Englishman

I haven't had a chance to try the custom keyboard creator you linked Amber, but I've been browsing this website for a year or so now, debating on whether I should go for it or not. xD 

Current keyboard is a SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL Ghost, which I've been pretty happy with. Nice lighting, clean look, and the switches are perfect for my preference.

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

SteelSeries Merc Stealth - Keyboard - USB

4fd35a38c787f7d310000000

I want to get into custom keyboards, but it feels like the community hates full custom keyboards. Most of the time, I only see options I'd like in tenkeyless and that's just... eww, lol. Still researching and I'll grab something eventually. I do believe I want some MX brown switches, however.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Why hate full custom keyboards?

I gotta say, as much as a like a clean table and a TKL, for me, more keys more macros for my editing work.

I use the numpad on the left, (weird, I know) so I won't have the need to lift the hand of the mouse.
And I just fill the num pad with custom keys in Armoury Crate profile 3, same for the mouse.

I can't say that mine is a custom in the custom sense, its more like modular like I said in the last post. I can customize the layout a bit, leaving it in TKL, Full on left or right, wired or wireless, rest on or off. That sort of things.

johnnyenglish_0-1653857910186.png

johnnyenglish_1-1653858137607.png

And that is it 🙂

The Englishman

That's what I'm saying, @johnnyenglish . For whatever reason, it seems the custom keyboard community doesn't like full keyboards. Most of the styles that I did like were only offered in tenkeyless. And I can't do tenkeyless. I need my numberpad! Another chore with the custom keyboard community is that group buy stuff. An expensive headache, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
Originalevo
Journeyman III

This is mine!

RDT_20220512_0926161382482820432751505-1.jpg

Glorious GMMK2, lubed Alpaca Linear switches with GBPT Celestial-Ice key caps

GMMK2.JPG

Ryzen 7 7700X | MSI RTX 4070Ti Suprim X| Gskill Flare X DDR5 6000 | MSI X670E Pro Carbon | Bequiet Pure Loop 2 FX 360mm | Lian Li Lancool III | Corsair HX1500i |4,140mm Lightwings 3 Fans
vesovind
Journeyman III

@Amber_AMD wrote:

I don't know about you.. but I love custom things, especially for gaming set ups! My current theme is purple (pictured below) 

desk.jpg

But recently, my partner and I have been looking into custom keyboards and found this website https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html  where you can customize the type of keys, along with colors. Here's how his turned out: 

keyboard.jpg

I'm only a tiny bit jealous... Here's the one I'm planning on getting in the future - 

Amber_AMD_1-1652283447672.png

For inspiration, what would your custom keyboard look like if you ordered one? OR are there other websites you all have used for custom keyboards? @MikeySCT - I saw in another post this was a hobby of yours so I'm interested to hear your thoughts! 

that is a pretty detailed information or you can say article you shared, I really love it and it is awesome

0 Likes
Justabhi
Journeyman III

Looks great I have the Ducky X Varmilo MIYA Pro Panda with YUNZII Milk Japanese Keycaps Set, you can check out those keycaps there, and also they look fantastic I got the idea for the Japanese keycaps from this site.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you checked out artisan wrist rests? They are absolutely beautiful and complement any setup. I want a galaxy themed one. They make them out of resin and sometimes wood. Check those out if you are into custom keyboards and the like. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Um I had not seen those. I just looked them up and they're so nice! I just wonder if they're comfy since it's epoxy? LG recently came out with a new line and I really want the wrist rest they came out with. 

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/accessories/palm-rest-g715-g713.943-000608.html

Amber_AMD_0-1660575380220.png

Look how comfy that looks!! 

Also, we should start a new post about these because I would love to chat more about wrist rests - I've been on the fence about trying one haha 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

I love that. It looks so squishy. The whole line that launched with looks so light and nice the keyboards, mouse etc. You definitely should start a wrist rest thread.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
tredeuce
Adept III

I will stick with my somewhat plain RGB mechanical for now, but custom keyboards are definitely something that can enhance a build and offer a way for the owner to express themselves. I get lost looking at all the different styles, types, and options available. I think someone mentioned Drop having some, and I have also seen some interesting ones at Kono Store.

jd63636
Adept II

The GMMK2  with lubed Alpaca linear's, GPBT Celestial - Ice keycaps and Model D wirelessGMMK2.jpg

Ryzen 7 7700X | MSI RTX 4070Ti Suprim X| Gskill Flare X DDR5 6000 | MSI X670E Pro Carbon | Bequiet Pure Loop 2 FX 360mm | Lian Li Lancool III | Corsair HX1500i |4,140mm Lightwings 3 Fans
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name of that thing for wrist rest?

0 Likes

The only wrist rest worth buying is the cloud wrist rest. Ask @Amber_AMD 😉

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like one from picture but I would like to find smaller version.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Hey Amber.  I'm a little late on this one.

No photo needed for mine.  Just jump over to Corsair and view the Straffe.  I learned typing skills on an Underwood Mechanical typewriter.  Averaged 62 WPM no errors.  The school did have 1 electric one and I could get up to 80 on it after some practice.  But, about 8 years ago I had a little accident with a table saw and my right hand is missing parts of a couple of fingers and other damaged ones.  So now it is more like pecking, don't have to hunt just peck.  So if you see some typo's in my posts you can understand why now.

Quick question; have you had time to find some device to post.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got cheapest mehanical keyboard I could find in store for 20e and one more for reserve. marvo kg901 (1kg heavy) is more like copy of red dragon kumara and I am happy with it. I like to focus more on games and less on look of my setup.

0 Likes