cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

AMD RX 7800 XT - Time to Upgrade....

Today Amazon will be sending me a nice birthday surprise, the Sapphire Pulse RX 7800 XT (16 GB, RDNA 3 technology).  I will be installing this video card into my workbench gaming platform, TOTB-2.  This gaming computer is currently running the old MSI Armor RX 580, so it's in need of a good GPU to compliment it's 5600 CPU and 120 Hz 1440p 27" curved monitor.  

Has anyone else installed an RX 7800 XT video card in their computer?  Anything I should know with regard to tweaking or tuning it to run optimally?

Yes, just 2 fans.  A 3-fan GPU would have interfered with my old spinning HDD, which is mounted near the PCIe slot.Yes, just 2 fans. A 3-fan GPU would have interfered with my old spinning HDD, which is mounted near the PCIe slot.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
23 Replies
Andreshm
Journeyman III

Primeramente es una tarjeta bastante buena notarás la diferencia en los juegos, lo único que con amd hay que tener paciencia en la instalación de drivers, ah y también recuerda tener actualizado el Windows a mí siempre me pedía que lo actualizara antes de instalar los drivers una vez instalado siempre fíjate que instale el programa adrenaline. Luego pues a jugar.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Translation:  

Firstly, it is a pretty good card, you will notice the difference in the games, the only thing is that with AMD you have to be patient when installing drivers, oh and also remember to have Windows updated, it always asked me to update it before installing the drivers. Once installed, always make sure that it installs the adrenaline program. Then let's play.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, I always update Windows and try to install the latest Adrenalin Drivers.  

0 Likes
Mption
Adept II

I always suggest trying to under-volt even if just a little bit, there is a nice "auto" feature in the driver, but you can probably go lower than it does if you play around. Uses less power, runs cooler, doesn't void the warranty, so it is usually a win-win.  I have a 6800xt and was able to drop it  from 1150 to 1075mv, and it dropped the temp about 10 degrees C.  Not sure what the comparative is on the 7800xt since it is more efficient from the start, but I'm sure there is at least a little wiggle room.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I should check the GPU temps before trying this.  I have the 2-fan card coming (out for delivery right now) and perhaps it runs a bit hotter than the 3-fan card?  We'll see.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Successful upgrade.  This RX 7800 XT is working well and I am happy.

New card arrived late-afternoon.New card arrived late-afternoon.

Didn't take long to install it.Didn't take long to install it.

Gaming on World of Tanks - Blitz.  No issues so far.Gaming on World of Tanks - Blitz. No issues so far.

Mption
Adept II

That's awesome, I don't think I have ever seen a wooden anti-sag brace. I almost didn't notice it as it blends with the shelves.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I actually removed it now.  It might not be necessary, but I will continue looking for the perfect match.  I might have to custom-cut one in the end.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I decided to address the GPU support with a custom-designed (...er...bent) aluminum bar bracket.  See this link.

jaandoh
Challenger

I have one in my latest build, it's fantastic, I've paired with a ryzen 9 7900x3d and it just runs..... 

I haven't actually tweaked the adrenaline settings except to set a fan curve, I'm not keen on the idea of zero rpm which was the default setting... 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I only played about 30 minutes of World of Tanks - Blitz and the fans were not spinning the whole time.  When they did spin, they were whisper quiet.  I need to monitor the temperature of the GPU and memory to see if things are warming up at all.

I was using the icue app to monitor both the cpu and gpu, but I've come to rely on the adrenaline app to monitor the temps as it seems more accurate... Some times the icue showed only a 1 degree difference and other times it was as much as nearly 10 degree difference between the two apps... 

I also use the ICUE on several things, but not the GPU that is left up to Adrenalin.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Dragokar
Miniboss

This looks like an amazing upgrade.

zellith
Adept II

If you try using it and it reboots your computer, I urge you to just return the card if possible.  Fixing the issue it is a pain in the ass and it seems not everyone can do it.  I was thankfully able to fix the problem for my wife, but I think there are others who still have random reboots.  (I fixed it by doing a BIOS update for my motherboard and tinkering with the graphics card settings, but others have done this and still get reboots.)

It never crashed during benchmarks, but during Elder Scrolls Online it was pretty much unplayable.  It even started crashing outside of gaming sessions when just watching youtube and whatnot.  Just keep your eyes open. 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My RX 7800 XT has been working fine.  It's not having any issues.  I saw in the Adrenalin software to alt-tab between the game and the temperature reading of the GPU and it think it never went past 55 C.  I haven't been down there playing for a bit now because I have other higher-priority tasks to address.

0 Likes
SocialSophia
Adept II

The 7800XT is supr clean and looks amazing in your wall setup. Congrats youre playing with the big boys now with that GPU

Well, I do have two other machines running the RX 7900 XT GPU.  Too bad that I'm not much of a gamer though.  I can play World of Tanks pretty well.  In fact, I'm starting a build with the World of Tanks theme.  Look for a new build post in a few weeks when all my parts come in.  The GPU will be another RX 7900 XT with an 7700X CPU.

If you don't like your spare cards, I take them 😉

Did you try the Millenia, Broken Arrow, Stormgate and 9-bit Armies demo over on Steam?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm very limited in the games I like to play.  I've pretty much given up on first person shooter games due to the strain on my right wrist.  Some games make me nauseous; if I play Stray longer than 60 minutes I start to feel that way.  But even with slower games, I can have problems with my wrist the next day or when trying to sleep.  It is what it is. 

0 Likes

So you have to play UT99 Instagib 10 minute sessions and recover after that 😉

Flex on the whole chat why don't cha 💪🏻 3 PCs is super dope tho I wish I was that rich 

I have 11 gaming machines on my LAN.  Some of them are past their prime of course, but I keep it going because I like to see gamers having a good time.  You can see this here.