cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Leaffa
Adept I

6950 XT Or 7800 XT

Right now the 6950 XT and 7800 XT are available at a similar price with the 6950 being a little cheaper.  A little snooping around Google has shown that the 6950 XT outperforms the 7800 XT slightly.  Which one should I pick?  Is the slight performance and savings not worth a card from the previous generation?  Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

7 Replies
BigGameD33R
Adept I

The 7800xt seems like a beast if its not that much more in cost.

johnnyenglish
Big Boss

The 6950XT is in paper stats much more capable and it still shows on average gaming sessions. (Video Below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZPXDNNzvQ 

Take into consideration that the 6950XT is more power hungry and sometimes will need a bigger PSU, specially if you push it.

The 7800XT will deal better with recent techs like frame gen and RTX.

Good Luck

The Englishman
Bmacek01
Adept I

If you're interested in features like AMD Video Upscale, they come to the newest architecture first.

There's no guarantee that they'll ever come to the 6000-series.  You'll probably never notice the speed difference either way.  If it were my system, I'd go with the 7800 XT or keep my eye out for a good deal on a 7900 GRE.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I concur.  I have both of these video cards and of course the 7900 GRE is the better of the two.  I have no issues with either one.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

6950XT all the way!

Martin4u
Adept I

If you're focused on pure performance, the 6950 XT might be the better choice, given its slight edge. However, consider the 7800 XT if future-proofing is important to you. It comes with newer architecture, better efficiency, and likely longer driver support, which could be more beneficial in the long run. The slight savings on the 6950 XT might not outweigh the advantages of a more modern card, especially if you plan to keep it for a few years.

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Like most of our friends here have stated, the 7800 XT may be a bit more future-proof if that matters to you, as well as some lower power draw. However, I know many folks who have enjoyed their 6000 series GPUs, and the 6950 XT is one of them.

Super helpful, huh! 😜