cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

onsolight
Adept III

Will RX 480 Support Fragment Shader Interlock? GL & VK

Vulkan 1.1.110 Released  will RX 480 support the following extensions anytime soon?

VK_EXT_fragment_shader_interlock - Featured in Vulkan 1.1.110

GL_ARB_fragment_shader_interlock - Part of OpenGL 4.5

i'm a bit disappointed and curious as to why Nvidia and Intel has support for this but AMD doesnt.

1 Solution
16 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Our OpenGL & Vulkan forum seems to be better place to ask this query, so I'm moving it there.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dorisyan
Staff

Hi onsolight‌, Thanks for your feedback, It looked like we didn't support this ext, we will take it into consideration. Thanks!

Is Polaris even capable if it? Im seeing allot say only Vega supports the feature.

0 Likes

I haven't got the exact message until now

0 Likes

Any news on this? looks like Nvidia already has support for it.

0 Likes

onsolight, could you check with gl extension viewer if your 480 supports

GL_INTEL_fragment_shader_ordering

it reports the R VII does have support
0 Likes

nope nothing here

0 Likes

if the hardware doesn't support it, maybe they can emulate it in software.  Hopefully it would only cause a slowdown in the event of concurrent writes to the same pixel, which may only be a small proportion of fs invocations.  Better to lose a few fps than not be able to run at all.  Fingers crossed.

would it be worth it is the thing how much of an impact would it make?

0 Likes

I'm not an expert on how the hardware works but If the slowdown is significantly more than the 2-3x slowdown you get from spinlocking or k-buffers, then maybe not.  But could be potentially faster than or close to the same speed as native atomics, which would be a huge win.  It would make life a hell of a lot easier for developers either way.  If I'm right about only in the event of concurrent writes to the same pixel, I doubt you'd even notice it - especially in the context of an emulator - it would just be a memory fence for that pixel quad or wavefront.  I think in the case of programmable blending for emulators which I know nothing about it's also a case of everybody gets it or nobody gets it.  It would be nice to have the option.

0 Likes
dorisyan
Staff

Hi all,

We are discussing about this extension, I will give you feed back soon.

Updated to 19.7.3 and Vulkan API is 1.1.113  any update on this?

0 Likes

Recently, I didn't see updates about shader interlock.

0 Likes

oh i see. ill return to my corner and weep 

dorisyan‌ should i take this as a reason to drop AMD and hop on the Nvidia Train?

0 Likes