cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

wsteiner
Adept I

VK/GL interop crashes AMD driver (using external_memory & external_semaphore extensions)

Hi,

I am a computer graphics developer working for Toon Boom Animation Inc. (https://www.toonboom.com/) on the Harmony & StoryboardPro products.

We are trying to use the available Vulkan/OpenGL external_memory & external_semaphore  extensions to mix VK & GL rendering, but we are getting driver crashes/freezes with the AMD drivers on Windows.

I already created a minimal reproducible code example  of our scenario.

https://github.com/drywolf/vkgl-test

• most of the GL code is based on LearnOpenGL sample-code (so should be pretty straightforward)
  • and most of the low-level Vulkan code is based on the mesa piglit test-framework examples for the external_objects extensions

This code runs without issue on the NVidia cards/drivers that we tested,
but on AMD cards/drivers we typically get driver crashes/freezes on the calls to glWaitSemaphoreEXT() or glSignalSemaphoreEXT() (see them in the vk-render.cpp file)

The driver crash/freeze always happens when MSAA is enabled, it only sometimes appears to happen when MSAA is disabled.

I hope some AMD driver engineer can have a look and let me know if I am missing something in the code, or are we encountering a bug in the AMD driver.

PS:
I am testing this on Windows 10 22H2 (19045.2965)
with an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
on Adrenalin driver 23.4.2

Thanks & Regards,
Wolfgang Steiner

0 Likes
6 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @wsteiner ,

Thanks for reporting the issue and providing the reproducible code example. I will forward the issue to the OpenGL team.

Thanks.

wsteiner
Adept I

Thanks @dipak 👍

0 Likes

Hi @wsteiner ,

An internal bug ticket has been created to track this issue. Will keep you posted on its progress.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Update:

The above interop issue has been fixed internally.

Thanks.

This is great news 😍 I'm looking forward to testing it.
Thanks @dipak for the update.

0 Likes

Hi @wsteiner ,

Could you please try the latest driver (Adrenalin 23.9.2) and let us know if the issue has been resolved?

Thanks.

0 Likes