cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Challenger

Re: Radeon RX 480 driver performance issues and bugs, OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX, Mantle

Just did a clean install of driver 19.6.2

Although there were a change to the OpenGl driver version, the fixes for Rage and Unreal Tournament 3 is still not present / taking action in the driver.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

Re: Radeon RX 480 driver performance issues and bugs, OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX, Mantle

Hi everyone,

So I have started a new post here, https://community.amd.com/thread/240814 , on AMD vs Nvidia overhead in API Overhead test in 3DMark, if you would like to post your findings.

3DMark is currently on discounted sale at the steam store.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

Hey guys

I am very glad to let you know that the shadow fix for RAGE is working in my 19.7.1 driver!! But I am also sad that the performance fix for Unreal Tournament 3 does not seem to be present yet

Thank you to the OpenGL team! Hopefully OpenGL performance can be improved on as well, I still have to do further tests in this regard, but currently in Rage it seems to fall just short of 60FPS quite often.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

Hi everyone,

I have opened a new thread for screen tearing issues in theHunter: Call of the Wild when Radeon Chill & FreeSync are both enabled, here, https://community.amd.com/message/2918650 

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

@AMD

I really do not get it, Unreal Tournament 3 is still stuck at 38-42FPS in the latest 19.7.2 driver. I took screenshots of my GT 710 beating the RX 480 at 640x480 resolution by 20FPS. Thereafter, I decided to buy a recertified Palit GTX 1060 3GB which turned out to be a better deal than the RX 480 at half the price, since its' GSync is more stable on my FreeSync display, than the RX 480's FreeSync is on the AMD FreeSync display.

I seem to be missing something, maybe that AMD made a deal with major game developers to port all games since 2000 to Vulkan/DirectX12? It does not seem that way to me.

Here is the RX 480 @ 640x480,

unreal_tournament_3_480p_amd_rx_480.png

Here is the Nvidia GT 710 @ 640x480,

unreal_tournament_3_480p_nvidia_gt_710.png

Here is the Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB @ 1920x1080,

unreal_tournament_3_GTX1060_2.png

Please note that 64FPS is the config limit I have set for FrameRateSmoothing = "64FPS", the GTX 1060 actually achieves 70-90FPS in this scene on my FX 8350 CPU. Furthermore, according to this article and my understanding, AMD still doesn't support Command Lists? Performance, Methods, and Practices of DirectX* 11 Multithreaded Rendering | Intel® Software 

Please have a look.

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

Hi everyone one,

Here is a new thread on current stuttering/hitching in quite a few games when played with a Radeon RX 480,

https://community.amd.com/message/2927403 

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger

Dear dipakdorisyan

Unreal Tournament 3 is still experiencing horrible frame-rate drops with Radeon Graphics drivers (including 19.10.2) down to 40FPS with a RX 480 and Ryzen 5 1600. Whereas my GTX 1060 is achieving 150FPS+ in the same areas in the exact same system.

The driver fix relating to, too much "ambient/occlusion calls" mentioned to me was never applied.

Here is a thread of a Navi user still experiencing these issues with Unreal Engine 3/4 games even on a new architecture, Unreal Engine games running terrible with microstutter 

Kind regards

Jacques

zinx
Adept II

I heard that the game The Outer Worlds is also slowish even with the new driver updates.

Just wanted to report in.

hitbm47
Challenger

Hi everyone

Please note that this thread has not been resolved yet even though it has been changed to "Assumed Answered",

Games such as,

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Crysis 3

have drastically degraded in performance with Radeon Driver releases since the end of 2016 and has not been fixed yet.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
leyvin
Miniboss

I have a Ryzen 5 1600 (Non-X) and RX 480 (ASUS Dual OC) … and don't have said performance issues with the listed games.

The problem with leaping to blaming Drivers and that AMD need to resolve the issues you're experiencing is there can be a myriad of potential issues with quite a few be likely unique to your specific rig or combination of manufacturers. 

Of course this _could_ potentially have been caused by a specific Driver Update, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the Drivers per se causing it but rather a flaw / bottleneck within your own Rig. 

I've got to go to work in a few minutes., but I'll look over this thread more when I get home to see if I can't help pin down what the potential issue is causing your specific problem... but as either yourself (or someone) is saying that swapping out to the GTX 1060 said issues disappear, well there is a good chance the issue is with the Graphics Card itself. 

Have you been sure to maintain it... such-as clean out any dust accumulated and replace the thermal paste?

Polaris Cards do tend to have a habit of running themselves quite hard while gaming, even when not being fully uitilised (it's an artefact of how DX 10/11 works with GCN); which NVIDIA Hardware doesn't tend to suffer from, for reasons I won't go into now.

As such I'd recommend doing maintenance on said card every 12 months (for Lite / Avg Gaming) or 6-8months (for Heavy Gaming) … just to make sure the temperatures aren't needlessly high.

Heck, I know until fairly recently (Drivers 18.9 and above) the Fan Speed and Automated Temperature Balancing was 'broken' on the Polaris Series Cards... this meant they tended to run MUCH Harder than they should've done., in-fact over a 3 month period I saw a rise from a normal 42 - 65c to 55 - 80c with the Fan getting much louder than it should (and trust me, it's already BAD on the ASUS Dual... like my new RX 5700 XT Reference with a Blower is noticeably quieter under 100% load).

Sure, it voids the Warranty to do such maintenance (which is silly imo) but at this point all RX 480 will be outside of Warranty anyway. 

So it's worth doing just to make sure the issue isn't something so simple... because with the Drivers registering things like Fan Speed and Temperature Control properly again; what it could be doing is sticking to the P-States set in the BIOS, which it won't be able to hit due to the need for said Maintenance.