Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

Perekai
Adept I

KoTOR 1 / OpenGL Driver Issues Breaking Old Games

G'day guys,

Since about the July 2022 driver updates there has been crashing that has made the old game KoTOR 1 unplayable (see here, here, and here).

It seems like the issue has something to do KoTOR's OpenGL compatibility and the changes to OpenGL in July 2022.

Now rolling back drivers is not ideal, though that isn't even option for me as I have a 7900XTX whose earliest drivers were December 2022.

Is this the sort of issue that gets fixed in driver updates? Or is it simply too old of a game and it is on the current holders of the title to fix?

It's a shame really as the game is currently unplayable on current AMD drivers.

1 Solution

Hi @Perekai ,

Could you please try the latest driver available here: Adrenalin 23.4.3  ?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Perekai
Adept I

Further info:

Wrappers have not been much help. OpenGL 1.4 is not supported by most wrappers, though a wrapper for OpenGL to software rendering does work, it is not ideal due to performance. It does however support the case that the drivers are the issue.

I've submitted bug reports via Adrenaline as well.

Hi @Perekai ,

Thank you for reporting the issue. I have moved the post to the AMD OpenGL developers forum.

The OpenGL team has created a bug ticket to track this issue. I will notify you if I get any update on this.

Thanks.

Hi @Perekai ,

Could you please share the following information?

- setup details like OS, driver version

- any other games you observed the same issue

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @dipak 

Info is below. Let me know if I need to provide anything else.

Thanks,

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor (24 CPUs), ~3.8GHz

Card name: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX

Driver: 22.40.33.01

Perekai
Adept I

Oh apologies, forgot to add.

No there aren’t any other games I’ve observed at this time breaking, KoTOR 1 is the only one I’m aware of. 

Thanks for the above information. I will let you know if any additional information is needed.

Could you please try the latest Adrenalin 23.3.1 (driver version 22.40.37.01) to check if the issue is reproducible or not?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900-series/amd-rade...

Thanks.

0 Likes

Sure can.

I downloaded the latest drivers and resumed from a save point where a known crash occurs, and unfortunately it is still persistent. Same outcome in the same location, so seemingly no change with the latest drivers.

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing this observation. I will pass on this information to the OpenGL team. 

Thanks.

Update:

The OpenGL team has investigated the issue and they have implemented a fix for it. Thanks.

Thanks @dipak 

I'm assuming the fix will be packaged in the next driver update?

0 Likes

Sorry, I can't provide an ETA for the public driver which will include the fix.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi @Perekai ,

Could you please try the latest driver available here: Adrenalin 23.4.3  ?

Thanks.

Hi @dipak 

Looks to no longer crash when resuming from my previous save prior to a known CTD.

Happy to consider that fixed for now. I'll reopen if required.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. 

0 Likes