cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

llyzs
Adept I

Importing D3D11 tex into Vulkan with VK_IMAGE_USAGE_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_BIT returns VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN

Hi,

When creating a shared d3d11 texture with miplevels = 1 and import it into Vulkan with VK_IMAGE_USAGE_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_BIT usage bit, vkBindImageMemory returns VK_ERROR_UNKNOWN. The following code demonstrate the issue:

// D3D11 texture
	CD3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC desc2d(DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM, 256, 256);
	desc2d.MiscFlags = D3D10_RESOURCE_MISC_SHARED;
	desc2d.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_RENDER_TARGET | D3D11_BIND_SHADER_RESOURCE;
	desc2d.MipLevels = 1;
	Microsoft::WRL::ComPtr<ID3D11Texture2D> tex;
	checkHResult(dev->CreateTexture2D(&desc2d, nullptr, &tex));

Microsoft::WRL::ComPtr<IDXGIResource> resource;
	checkHResult(tex.As(&resource));
	HANDLE sharedHandle;
	checkHResult(resource->GetSharedHandle(&sharedHandle));

// Vulkan image
	auto handleType = VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_HANDLE_TYPE_D3D11_TEXTURE_KMT_BIT;
	VkImage image;
	VkExternalMemoryImageCreateInfo externalInfo = {VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_IMAGE_CREATE_INFO, nullptr, static_cast<VkExternalMemoryHandleTypeFlags>(handleType)};
	VkImageCreateInfo imageInfo = {VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_IMAGE_CREATE_INFO, &externalInfo};
	imageInfo.imageType = VK_IMAGE_TYPE_2D;
	imageInfo.format = VK_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;
	imageInfo.extent = {256, 256, 1};
	imageInfo.mipLevels = 1;
	imageInfo.arrayLayers = 1;
	imageInfo.samples = VK_SAMPLE_COUNT_1_BIT;
	imageInfo.tiling = VK_IMAGE_TILING_OPTIMAL;
	imageInfo.usage = VK_IMAGE_USAGE_TRANSFER_SRC_BIT | VK_IMAGE_USAGE_SAMPLED_BIT;
	imageInfo.usage |= VK_IMAGE_USAGE_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_BIT;
	imageInfo.sharingMode = VK_SHARING_MODE_EXCLUSIVE;
	imageInfo.initialLayout = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED;
	checkResult(vkCreateImage(g_Device, &imageInfo, nullptr, &image));

VkMemoryRequirements memReq;
	vkGetImageMemoryRequirements(g_Device, image, &memReq);

// Vulkan memory import
	VkMemoryWin32HandlePropertiesKHR handleProperties = {VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_MEMORY_WIN32_HANDLE_PROPERTIES_KHR};
	checkResult(g_vkGetMemoryWin32HandlePropertiesKHR(g_Device, handleType, sharedHandle, &handleProperties));

VkDeviceMemory memory;
	VkImportMemoryWin32HandleInfoKHR importInfo = {VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_IMPORT_MEMORY_WIN32_HANDLE_INFO_KHR, nullptr, handleType, sharedHandle};
	VkMemoryAllocateInfo allocInfo = {VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_MEMORY_ALLOCATE_INFO, &importInfo};
	allocInfo.memoryTypeIndex = findMemoryType(handleProperties.memoryTypeBits, VK_MEMORY_PROPERTY_DEVICE_LOCAL_BIT);
	allocInfo.allocationSize = memReq.size;
	checkResult(vkAllocateMemory(g_Device, &allocInfo, nullptr, &memory));
	checkResult(vkBindImageMemory(g_Device, image, memory, 0));

vkDestroyImage(g_Device, image, nullptr);
	vkFreeMemory(g_Device, memory, nullptr);

It is kind of strange that two conditions have to be met in order to reproduce the error: 1. the d3d11 texture is created with MipLevels = 1 only; 2. the Vulkan image is created with color attachment usage bit.

0 Likes
1 Solution
llyzs
Adept I

I have solved the issue. It must check the VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_FEATURE_DEDICATED_ONLY_BIT feature and add VkMemoryDedicatedAllocateInfo accordingly when importing the d3d11 texture.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Try posting your question at AMD Forum's Developers that has a Vulkan Forum. But first you must get whitelisted to join the Vulkan forum from here: https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

The Moderator should move your thread to the OpenCL & Vulkan Forum: https://community.amd.com/t5/opengl-vulkan/bd-p/opengl-and-vulkan-discussions

Moved the post to the "AMD OpenGL & Vulkan" forum.

Thanks.

llyzs
Adept I

I have solved the issue. It must check the VK_EXTERNAL_MEMORY_FEATURE_DEDICATED_ONLY_BIT feature and add VkMemoryDedicatedAllocateInfo accordingly when importing the d3d11 texture.