cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Jump to solution

Hi everyone

Shadows of dynamic objects in RAGE is still barely working on my RX 480 and one of our other systems with a R9 280X for the last few years, at least since 2016.

I have most of the few graphics settings enabled in the settings menu of the game. In addition, I am attaching a few screenshots to show the incomplete shadows (currently with radeon drivers 19.3.1).

I would have captured a video with Radeon ReLive as a better example, but AMD has not interfaced the Radeon Overlay with the OpenGl graphics API.

It would be kind if the driver team could investigate and hopefully improve on this.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Re: Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Jump to solution

Hi hitbm47‌, I checked it just now, this fix has been added in the next driver. Thanks for your patience!

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Re: Id Software - RAGE shadows not working properly AMD Radeon RX 480. Fixible by driver?

Jump to solution

Hi hitbm47‌, thanks for your report, and we will investigate it soon.

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Hi dorisyan‌ thank you I am very glad to hear!

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Hi dorisyan

Ok so I went as far as getting Rage to run for brief moments on Ubuntu Linux 18.04.2 with the latest mesa drivers released from amd.com this month for Ubuntu and by using Proton 3.7-8 to run the standard 32bit version of Rage.

I took screenshots to confirm shadows are properly with this amd setup of mine, but unfortunately texture pop-ins and bugs are everywhere with this combination of software, but amd mesa opengl drivers render dynamic shadows properly. In addition, framerate is very inconsistent due to non-native platform.

I was able to test Wolfenstein The Old Blood as well, and it performs almost on par with the windows combination, with almost no visual bugs, only Rudi Jager's hair had some visual anomalies.

I hope this can help in resolving the shadow bugs in windows.

Kind regards

Jacques

20190409174834_1.jpg20190409175828_1.jpg20190409175836_1.jpg20190409180047_1.jpg20190409180201_1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi hitbm47‌, Thanks for your information, I'm investigating this issue. 

Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Hi, hitbm47‌, Thanks for your report, this issue has been solved, and the fix will be released in the later driver.

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

dorisyan‌ this is awesome news!

Thank you for your effort and I am looking forward to the new driver and seeing the team's result!

Does this mean it will be present in the next optional driver or the next recommended driver?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Unfortunately it does not seem to be included with the 19.4.3 driver that was released today, hopefully it will be included in the next driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Right, It will be released in the next driver, thanks for your patience.

Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry but I have unmarked this solution in the meantime, until it is working in one of the new drivers. I have downloaded 19.5.1 yesterday and the fix is not present yet.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos