Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Challenger

Crysis 3 low FPS drops & low GPU utilization with RX 480

Hi everyone,

Here are my specs,

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (up to date)

16GB (8x2) HyperX Fury DDR3 1866Mhz RAM

AMD FX 8350 stock clocks

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G (19.5.1 drivers)

MSI 990FXA Motherboard (latest BIOS)

Crysis 3 is still experiencing low GPU utilization and FPS drops down to 17FPS in certain areas, which you can see in the screenshots which I am attaching. This screenshots is in the first mission, part 4 I think, where one just came through the green lazerbeam detection room and look through the windows.

Please note that it is not a CPU bottleneck, since I have tested it with my i5 8400 as well with only achieving 21FPS in this scene. This exact RX 480 was able to achieve 50FPS (100% GPU utilization at 1303Mhz stock clock speeds)  in this scene in our old system with Windows 7 Home 64-bit & i5-4670k with early Crimson drivers that was installed for our R9 280X, but worked with the RX 480 with the exact same Very High preset at 1920x1080 resolution.

In addition, the frame rate drop is still present with Radeon Chill disabled.

Kind regards

Jacques

75 Replies
colesdav
MVP

Re: Crysis 3 low FPS drops & low GPU utilization with RX 480

Can you post some pictures showing the exact Video / Graphics options and the Advanced Graphics options you used in Crysis 3 please?

Also please send me screenshots of Radeon Settings Global Settings, i.e. Global Graphics and Global Wattman and also the Crysis Profile settings -  i.e.  Profie Graphics and Profile Wattman.

Thanks.

hitbm47
Challenger

Hi colesdav

Thank you for your reply.

I will do so somewhere in the week when I have time. But, thus far with all the RX 480 driver issues, and the findings I mentioned it this post, I am convinced it is driver related.

Crysis 3 does a CPU and GPU benchmark at the first launch of the game, and defaults my configuration to very high settings. Furthermore,

I use stock standard clocks for all my hardware components, therefore I barely ever open the wattman tab.

Radeon settings and game profile are at default, but enabling settings like chill, FPS limit or power efficiency does not have any effect on the framerate drops.

In the case of Unreal Tournament 3 the DX driver team notified me through the OpenGl team, that the performance drop between 16.9.2 and 19.4.3 was related to, too many ambient calls between the game and driver.

Thus my best assumption is that somewhere in their driver code, some functions are making to many recursive function calls which then bottlenecks on a little portion of GPU cores and leaves all the other thousand GPU cores hanging/halting for work, including the eight CPU cores.

Therefore, a bottleneck is not visible in utilization monitoring software such as MSI Afterburner, because GPU utilization will show as; for example, 12% if 340/2804 stream processors are working at 100% on recursive calls such as ambient calculations.

It becomes clear to me if you look at the screenshots where utilizations are relatively low on all major components that it is a software/driver bottleneck.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
hitbm47
Challenger

Please keep in mind this happens with an i5 8400 as well, which has a lot more computing power than an i5 4670K (which didn't bottleneck the same RX 480 on Windows 7 with R9 280X drivers).

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Had to reinstall the game on an appropriate PC.
So.
This is where I am.
Any further?

pastedImage_1.png

hitbm47
Challenger

Hi colesdav

Thank you for your efforts.

I also get 60FPS in that area of your screenshot. You are about one or two sub-chapters past the area of which I took screenshots.

You have to pass through a green laser-room just before the area with the FPS drops. This is just after fighting the helicopter in the rain on the bridge.

Sorry I had already sent this message an hour before, but this is the third time this website signs me out while typing and sending.

In addition, I would like to ask with which CPU you are bench-marking this?

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi hitbm47 

Thanks for the information.

RE: Sorry I had already sent this message an hour before, but this is the third time this website signs me out while typing and sending.
Understood. It keeps happening to me as well. I frequently lose responses I am typing, or responses get saved before I can correct typing errors.
I frequently get locked out of posts for many hours after submit  and cannot even correct any errors.

I do not know what is happening.
I have tried latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.  

I will go back to the area you mentioned, take a look and then see what happens on a couple of different intel and AMD processors and various AMD and Nvidia GPU's. On the Intel side I have multiple older  i7-4770K/4990K based machines which are all AIO Liquid Cooled and still competitive today for use in gaming tests versus the Ryzen 2700X.  I also have a Ryzen 2700X build that I can try your test case on. I am in the process building a couple of new Intel based builds using latest high end Intel processors, so I may be able to look at this test case using those builds later on. 

I can change BIOS settings to turn off cores and/ or hyperthreading and modify CPU operating  frequencies to mimic the performance of your AMD FX 8350.
Comparison of teh CPU's is here: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/2384vs1489 

I stayed away from AMD CPU's for personal use since first gen Intel i7 until my recent Ryzen 2700x build.  

Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

And here is the comparison of Ryzen 2700X versus i7-4790K:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/2384vs3958 
Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK I got there. 
So I have a few observations to make.
I took a look on the following system:

CPU i7-4790K on H100i Watercooler.
MB: Asus Z97 Deluxe NFC Wireless.
RAM 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP. DDR4.
GPU 1 R9 Fury X. PCIe3.0x8.  Primary GPU. 

GPU2 R9 Fury  X. PCIe3.0x8.  Secondary GPU. 

GPU3. R9 Nano.   PCIe 2.0x1.
GPU 4. R9 280x.   PCIe2.0x1. 
You can ignore the last 2 GPU's for these tests but I mention them because they are shown in Radeon Settings.
I am running Adrenalin 19.6.1 
I set Global FRTC to 59 and FreeSync is on
Chill is off for these shots.  

I am running Crysis at 1080p Full Screen Resolution, Very high Settings. 

I killed all not essential processes, fans all maxed out 

So first of all with GPU 1 active, Crossfire off, and Radeon Performance Overlay  off. Radeon Relive Video Recording Off. I see this performance: 

pastedImage_1.png 
When I turn on Radeon Performance Overlay the FPS drops, then when I turn on  Radeon ReLive to record what happens I get another a drop in performance to 49 FPS.

pastedImage_2.png  

That's at least  a 17% performance hit just to turn on the Radeon Performance Overlay and record at 1080p which is pathetic.This must be a bug in ReLive or RPO.

Moving on. 

By the time I walk down the corridor to look out that window you can see in the distance the FPS has dropped to 32 FPS: 

pastedImage_3.png 

CPU Utilization isn't even at 50% but then I need to show the Task Manager performance charts to give a better picture. 

I will post that info later.  

I had to kill some enemies but then I went back to the window shown and looked at FPS variance with direction. I rotated the character slowly.

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png
pastedImage_7.png
and then back looking out the window.

pastedImage_8.png

Running a pair of R9 Fury X's in Crossfire at the problem still cannot maintain 60 FPS when I look out the window at the bottom of the corridor. 
I will post a few shots of that next.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Here is a screenshot of a Pair of R9 Fury X in DX11 CrossFire .
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes