Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

dorisyan
Staff
Staff

Re: Can AMD please add a smooth VSync feature?, 2

Looks like some problem in this version, I found it has been fixed in the next version which will be released after few days :D

Remember to update your radeon SW if a new one is published.

My Software Version 2020.1109.1147.21218.

hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

@dorisyanthank you for the response, this is good to hear, but at the same time I wish it was working with my version already.

Maybe you are using the 20.11.2 Recommended WHQL? I am on the 21.1.1 latest optional driver which is

version 2021.0118.2234.40618

Kind regards

0 Kudos
dorisyan
Staff
Staff

You can have a check, the following is my settings : )

dorisyan_0-1611654068447.png

hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

Thank you @dorisyan 

That seems like a custom/in-house version, I don't believe that was ever available for download? It states version 20.5

I tried the latest optional driver on a laptop with R6 graphics and it did not have Enhanced Sync or Frame-rate target Control. Furthermore, on my RX 480 setting Chill Min = Chill Max = Refresh Rate is only smooth when FreeSync is also enabled, but has stutters without a FreeSync monitor. Hopefully Frame-rate Target Control will have less stutter and work with in-game VSync this time around as well.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos
dorisyan
Staff
Staff

Hi @hitbm47 ,

I'd like to collect some info of this issue as we are discussing "Smooth Sync" with the related team.

1. What's the game you observed stuttering?

2. Did you active Vsync? Did you active Enhanced Sync?

3. Which mode game is running? (Windowed/ Fullscreen)

4. Is framerate limited by Chill?

5. Which API the game use?

6. What's the driver version and what's the OS version.

7. If you are trying to limit the frame rate - what's the limit target?

Thanks very much! :)

Looking forward to your reply.

hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

Hi @dorisyan 

Thank you for your response, do you need more info on Smooth VSync or Enhanced Sync? I am going to answer your questions with Radeon Chill and Enhanced Sync in mind, the Idea is to either achieve smooth 30FPS with VSync, or smooth 60Hz/75Hz/RefreshRate Adaptive Sync (by setting Chill to 60FPS and enabling Enhanced Sync)

1. What's the game you observed stuttering? Basically almost every game that is supported by Chill or Enhanced Sync, I can list a lot of games, but it doesn't seem to be API dependent. A good test is in games where you have an animation/object that is rotating, some times I test it with Hitman 2 in DirectX11 and DirectX12 on the level where you have windmills rotating in the background, and there are elections going on in the neighborhood "Whittleton Creek: Another Life". I would test three different scenarios; #one is to set in-game VSync on and Chill to 30FPS, then you can notice frame stutters on the Windmill 2-4times a second; #second in-game VSync off & Chill 60FPS & Enhanced Sync enabled, also 1-2 frame stutters even when maintaining 60FPS on a fixed refresh display, but enabling FreeSync seems necessary for EnhancedSync to work smoothly; #third Enabling just in-game VSync with Chill or Enhanced Sync off maintains a stutterless 60FPS when looking at the windmill, but setting 60FPS Chill with in-game VSync and no FreeSync reintroduces the 1-2 Frame stutters a second.

2. Did you active Vsync? Did you active Enhanced Sync? I do not activate them together, I test them independently, since I have noticed games where Enhanced Sync doesn't override VSync properly. In addition, with Radeon you can only use in-game VSync, drivers only work for OpenGL, thus if a game doesn't support VSync you are left in the dust with Radeon.

3. Which mode game is running? (Windowed/ Fullscreen)? I mostly play in exclusive fullscreen, and test these features in Exclusive Fullscreen first.

4. Is framerate limited by Chill? The description of Chill omits the explanation in where if Chill is compatible with VSync or Enhanced Sync, thus it is not known to Radeon users which min & max values to use with Enhanced Sync. It is also not known to Radeon users which values still gives smooth pacing or animation with Chill and in-game VSync enabled. But, I mostly want to set Chill to 30FPS with in-game VSync enabled for a stutterless-tearless console cinematic experience, which it doesn't achieve. Otherwise, I leave Chill to default 75-140FPS; in contradiction, Chill only activates/kicks-in at game start by forcing those framerates to be achieved by initially disabling VSync, then re-enabling VSync.

5. Which API the game use? DirectX9, 10, 11, 12, Vulkan; tested it in Unreal Tournament 3, Skyrim, Hitman 2, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider (2012), Counter-Strike Source, Half-life 2 Episode 2, Rage 2.

6. What's the driver version and what's the OS version? Adrenaline 21.1.1; Windows 10 64-bit build 18363

7. If you are trying to limit the frame rate - what's the limit target? Same answer as question four, mainly for 30FPS; in addition, I also try using Chill & Enhanced Sync at multiples of 60FPS, including 60FPS; or as an alternative to how NVidia Adaptive Sync works, but it always has 2-4 microstutters a second even when standing still when not having a FreeSync compatible display. Sometimes chill even stutters at 30FPS when FreeSync is enabled and with LFC support.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

@dorisyanwhat I meant by Chill not kicking in, in Question 4 from my previous comment, is the default clock rate of my MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G is 1303Mhz, and it stays there when VSync is enabled and frame-rate is at 60FPS, therefore I have to disable VSync for it to reach default chill values of (75-140FPS) for the Chill algorithm to kick in and start downclocking the clockspeed, if I then enable VSync again the algorithm continues to work 90% of the time and continues alternating clockspeeds.

But in some areas of games like dark caves the Chill frame-rate breaks and unlocks a lot of times resulting in game-breaking issues for something like Skyrim.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

Hi @dorisyan @xhuang 

Unfortunately FRTC is still not available in the latest Radeon driver that has just released.

Regards

0 Kudos
dorisyan
Staff
Staff

Thanks for your reply, and I will try to reproduce your problem on my local machine.

hitbm47
Challenger
Challenger

Dear @dipak  @dorisyan  @xhuang 

I have noticed that StarControl, Galactic Civilisations 3, Dungeons 2 (all three DirectX 11 games) stutters (45-57FPS) when VSync is enabled and using a RX 480, but disabling VSync allows the FPS to rise up to 150+; furthermore, this VSync stutter does not happen with my GTX 1060.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Kudos