cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

torbsorb
Journeyman III

Why did AMD decide to remove SPIR 1.2 support without adding SPIR-V?

We have found, like many others, that the AMD GPU may report OpenCL 1.2 or even 2.0 support, with SPIR. However, that may not actually be the case. We're aware that you're looking into this, and will remove reported support where none exist.

The bigger question is why AMD decided to remove SPIR 1.2 support without adding SPIR-V?
At Zivid  we make proprietary software for our cameras that requires binary distribution of OpenCL code.
We seem to have to exclude many AMD GPUs from our list of supported platforms because of this.

Please consider adding SPIR-V support.

PS!
I realize that this just adds feedback to the existing thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/231410, but I'm not allowed to post there yet.
6 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Thank you for your query and the feature request. I think, in the above mentioned thread and here SPIR support in new drivers lost , I already mentioned most of the points regarding the SPIR support and its current status. Anyway I'll pass on your feedback to the appropriate team.

We seem to have to exclude many AMD GPUs from our list of supported platforms because of this.

Just a suggestion. As an alternative, pre-built device binary can be used for distribution. If it works in your case, you can generate the offline device binaries without having the physical GPUs  and ship them for those devices.

Thanks.

0 Likes
torbsorb
Journeyman III

Hi dipak,

After updating to driver version 26.20.13031.18002, released on Nov 15 2019, we can use our AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 with our product. The OpenCL version is now 2906.10, and it actually seems to support SPIR. Did you silently add back support? Do you officially support SPIR now? Can we take newer AMD GPUs off our black list?

0 Likes

AFAIK, SPIR support in the latest driver is still the same as I mentioned earlier. Anyway I'll check with the OpenCL team and confirm.

The OpenCL version is now 2906.10, and it actually seems to support SPIR

By the way, are you referring "cl_khr_spir" extension? Or SPIR 1.2 is building fine with "-x spir" option?

Thanks.

0 Likes

As I've been informed, current status of the SPIR support is still the same. 

Thanks.

Any update on the status?

0 Likes

It is the same as mentioned earlier.

0 Likes