Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenCL

nanom1t
Journeyman III

OpenCL not working properly with RX 5500 XT

Hello.

I'm trying to install the lastest AMD driver v21.10 for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (server edition). Full support was introduced for Ubuntu 20.04 in this version of driver, but it does not work properly in my case.

In newer version of Linux kernel was introduced amdgpu driver support, so I'm trying to install driver with next commands and it installs without any errors:

./amdgpu-install -y --opencl=legacy,pal --headless --no-dkms
sudo usermod -aG video $LOGNAME
sudo usermod -aG render $LOGNAME

After reboot I'm trying to run clinfo command and it shows that I don't have any devices:

$ /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin/clinfo 
Number of platforms:				 1
  Platform Profile:				 FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:				 OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3224.4)
  Platform Name:				 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor:				 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Extensions:				 cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices 
Number of devices:				 0

However lshw command shows that I have RX 5500 XT GPU in my system:

$ sudo lshw -c display
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       version: c5
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
       resources: irq:131 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:f7c00000-f7c7ffff memory:c0000-dffff

I've also tried to install the driver with ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy,pal --headless command, but in that case it deletes integrated kernel module, rebuilds dkms module and does not help.

Please help to solve this issue.

Ubuntu version: 20.04.2 LTS

Kernel version: 5.4.0-72-generic

AMD driver version: 21.10 (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-21-10)

GPU: Gigabyte RX 5500 XT 4gb

0 Likes
3 Replies
nanom1t
Journeyman III

AMDGPU pro installation:

./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,pal --headless
# dkms status
amdgpu, 5.9.20.104-1247438, 5.4.0-72-generic, x86_64: installed
# /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin/clinfo 
Number of platforms:				 1
  Platform Profile:				 FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Version:				 OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (3224.4)
  Platform Vendor:				 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Extensions:				 cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices 
Number of devices:				 0

# dpkg -l |grep amdgpu
ii  amdgpu-core                          21.10-1247438                         all          Core meta package for unified amdgpu driver.
ii  amdgpu-dkms                          1:5.9.20.104-1247438                  all          amdgpu driver in DKMS format.
ii  amdgpu-dkms-firmware                 1:5.9.20.104-1247438                  all          firmware blobs used by amdgpu driver in DKMS format
ii  amdgpu-pin                           21.10-1247438                         all          Meta package to pin a specific amdgpu driver version.
ii  amdgpu-pro-core                      21.10-1247438                         all          Core meta package for Pro components of the unified amdgpu driver.
ii  amdgpu-pro-pin                       21.10-1247438                         all          Meta package to pin a specific amdgpu pro driver version.
ii  clinfo-amdgpu-pro                    21.10-1247438                         amd64        AMD OpenCL info utility
ii  libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1:amd64          1:2.4.100-1247438                     amd64        Userspace interface to amdgpu-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libdrm-amdgpu-common                 1.0.0-1247438                         all          List of AMD/ATI cards' device IDs, revision IDs and marketing names
ii  libdrm2-amdgpu:amd64                 1:2.4.100-1247438                     amd64        Userspace interface to kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  ocl-icd-libopencl1-amdgpu-pro:amd64  21.10-1247438                         amd64        AMD OpenCL ICD Loader library
ii  opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd:amd64     21.10-1247438                         amd64        non-free AMD OpenCL ICD Loaders
0 Likes

Maybe @dipak can move this to the Developer's Forum OPENCL if appropriate.

Or you can open a thread at Developer's Forum New Users to get whitelisted to post at OpenCL Forum from here: https://community.amd.com/t5/newcomers-start-here/bd-p/newcomer-forum

0 Likes

Hi @nanom1t ,

Thank you for reporting this. I've moved the post to the OpenCL forum.  Also I've whitelisted you for the AMD Devgurus community.

There are two OpenCL implementations available with the latest AMDGPU-Pro:

ROCr: Provides support for Vega 10 and newer hardware.
Legacy: Provides support for hardware older than Vega 10.

In previous releases, the “PAL” implementation was used for Vega 10 and newer cards, but now this has been replaced by the ROCr. So, please modify the command accordingly. 

For example: ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=rocr,legacy --headless

For the detailed instructions,  please find the latest installation guide by extracting the downloaded archive, and opening /doc/index.html in your browser.

Thanks.