cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

What If? - You won the lottery.

I'm curious - what would you do if you wake up one morning, bleary-eyed and groggy, and decide to check your lottery ticket and suddenly realize... YOU'VE WON THE JACKPOT! 

$13,500,000 Canadian Dollars (Or whatever your equivalent of $10,000,000 USD is)

What would you do if you won this colossal fortune? 

• Are you itching to jump on the next plane and explore the farthest corners of the globe?
  • Maybe you'd like to bask in the sun on a tropical island, sipping colorful cocktails while your worries melt away?
  • Would you build a state-of-the-art gaming studio?
  • Would you donate to your favorite charity, set up a scholarship fund, or support initiatives to save the world?

Let your imagination run wild, and no judgments here.

I'll put down my answer below, but will love to see what others come up with.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
1 Solution
Key-J
Paragon

OK NEW RULE!

Everyone who replies, and those who have already replied but didn't do it:
@Amber_AMD , @Axxemann , @Wally_AMD , @GreatnessRD @jamesc359 

You HAVE to link to one "fun" thin you would buy, like a Yacht, Car, Helicopter, House, Coffee Machine, Cool Sword, Robot Butler .... whatever!

But you need to link to it!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

View solution in original post

46 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

I would pay off my house debt and some other stuff and after that I would spend some money to send my parents on vacation, wherever they want to go. Last but not least I would hire a gardener, a mason and some other dudes to finish some stuff on our property.....

petosiris
Miniboss

@Key-J wrote:

I'm curious - what would you do if you wake up one morning, bleary-eyed and groggy, and decide to check your lottery ticket and suddenly realize... YOU'VE WON THE JACKPOT! 

$13,500,000 Canadian Dollars (Or whatever your equivalent of $10,000,000 USD is)

First I'd have to submit a lottery ticket, before I could win. 😅  I haven't participated in any lottery for a while but I want to start again ... soon.  Instead I bought 35 million crypto coins which I hope will be worth $1 USD each one day.  😁

What would you do if you won this colossal fortune? 
  • Are you itching to jump on the next plane and explore the farthest corners of the globe?
  • Maybe you'd like to bask in the sun on a tropical island, sipping colorful cocktails while your worries melt away?
  • Would you build a state-of-the-art gaming studio?
  • Would you donate to your favorite charity, set up a scholarship fund, or support initiatives to save the world?

I'd love to travel and see the world and sip refreshing coctails in the shade (I hate sitting in direct sun)  although that had to wait until other priorities were ticked off the todo list first.  I already have a satisfactory gaming setup so a full gaming studio could also wait.

1. Pay down my own debt, my brother's and my sister's debt.
  2. Donate a lot to animal and environment organizations. 
  3. Finish refurbishing my house (which has been ongoing for 13 years now), then build it out  with a new floor and full attic.
  4. Buy a Bering 75 yacht. 
  5. Travel the world in my new fully green yacht (running on electrical batteries which are charged by fuel cell motors, driven by generators that split seawater into O2 and H) ― if anything was left of the money, that is. 😉

If I were young(er) I'd probably prioritize a little different.  Then I'd start a new business with an animal shelter and hire a vet or three, then try to branch out with more shelters all over the country.  That has always been my dream occupation.  I can't imagine a more fulfilling and rewarding job than to help animals that need it.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

• Pay off debts
  • set up a couple trust for family and friends
  • Buy a house (Not no 1.5 million dollar nonsense, but a nice 4 br, 300-400K home, lol)
  • Go on a Microcenter/Newegg spree for the ultimate basement setup
  • Buy some properties for passive income
  • Take a couple trips
  • donate to a few charities close to my heart

Outside of my very small circle, it would be another day at the office for me. Gonna act broke and stay out the way, for sure. lol

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

What's the vision for the dream basement setup?? Are we talking total "man cave/gaming den"? We don't have basements in Texas, but if I had one, and the fiancee was OK with it... I'd totally turn it into the hang-out spot. Pool table, nice TV/couches with some gaming consoles, maybe a little bar cornered off, a nice PC setup, etc.

0 Likes

@Wally_AMD Oh yeah, for sure the man. That's exactly what my ultimate basement setup would look like. We on the same page, my mans.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
jamesc359
Forerunner

I'd change my name and assume a new identity... No one would ever know what happened to James. Did he drown in the river? Did he get lost in the woods and ate by a grizzly bear? We may never know.

In all seriousness though I'd share a little with my family and a lot of it with a friend that's been there for me through thick and thin. Then I'd buy a car, a nice but modest house and a new wardrobe. Nothing to extravagant, just nice stuff.

Or was he drowned in the river by a grizzly bear in the woods looking for a little extra honey out of the honey pot? There's a money/honey pun here somewhere...

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

I've actually heard it's a nightmare to win the lottery. So many people come out of the woodwork and harass you for money... family, friends, "long lost" relatives, businesses, the government, etc. One piece of advice I read was if you won, never ever reveal it to the public. Do not share your name with anyone - no news outlets, keep it to people you can trust in terms of family/friends.

If everything was good, and I could continue to live a normal life:

• I'd pay off any debts my immediate family might have.
  • I'd buy a reasonable home (no mansions, just a decent-sized house in a nice/safe neighborhood)
  • I'd buy a new car (again, nothing too crazy, but maybe a nice SUV or an EV)
  • I'd invest and save! Property, the market, etc.
  • Set up savings/trusts for my family
  • And then maybe take a trip somewhere...

The fact that in some states you have to publish your name as a winner is crazy. Glad Maryland, who does a ton of goofy stuff, has made it up to the winner if their name is published or not. 

Oh, wow - I actually didn't know some states required you to. That IS insane...

0 Likes

IIRC, you're required to in Canada, too.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

About traveling and see the world ... be sure to do it while you're young!  🤣

travel young.jpg

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

I'm still considered young and this would still be me on a vacation... 😂

LOL, too funny! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
Key-J
Paragon

I'm loving everyone's responses so far - especially "fake my own death" James over there 😛

My list would fall quite along the same lines as you all.

• Pay off debts first.
  • Pay off any debts that my parents happen to have.
  • Ensure my kids have a fully funded education ahead of them.
  • Set up investable / assets money.
    • Purchase a couple of investment properties - my city has an amazing short term and student rental need that would keep these properties producing.
    • Depending on cost, look to open a Colombian Café/Bakery.
    • Purchase a new home, something with a bit more space - but not Mega Mansion.
  • Set aside long term investment safety.
    • Work with my Financial Planner to set up long term safety.
    • Keeping some cash reserves.
    • Putting some in funds.
    • Purchase a well-funded whole life insurance policy (Canadians will know 😉 )
  • Set aside play money and stick to it
    • Book a celebratory family vacation cruise which will be splurged on. - Invite close friends as well.
    • Convert or build home to be energy efficient and super smart. 
    • Take Helicopter flying lessons (big bucket list item) and eventually buy a Helicopter.
    • Buy a TopBrew for any room I want.
    • Buy a beautiful and kitted out AMD Rig using the top of the line items available today.
    • Buy my wife and I new vehicles each.
    • Buy a boat to enjoy on the water.
    • Look at hiring a chef to prepare meals consistently and provide convenience.
    • Look at booking future experiences and things which make convenient. The best thing money can buy is time.
----------

A helicopter?? Have you ever flown before? (I know you mention lessons, but figured I'd ask anyways!)

I've never piloted one, but flew in a fair share.

I'm not sure why, even though no part of my life involved Helicopters - it is totally a big bucket list item of mine!

----------
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Oh @Key-J what a post! 😀 You got me thinking my friend...

In order...

1. Meet with a Tax Expert

2. Meet with my financial consultant

3. Pay off all debts (including my family and friends)

4. Set my 7-year-old boy for life! 

4a. Establish a few trust funds for my better half, my family, relatives, and a few BFFs.

5. Leave my 9 to 5 and start attending flight school. Get a Helicopter C-license/Commercial license, and when ready purchase a demilitarized Bell AH-1 Cobra - yay baby!  

6. Buy a small, energy-efficient, ultra-high-tech, modern home in the woods (think Yosemite or the Suisse Alps in Italy)

7. Build my own race track and never charge anyone to practice, learn, and race. 

8. Have a party! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Doesn't CalFire own all the de-milled Cobras save for a few museums?

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on an OV-10 Bronco and swap the original powerplants out for some more reliable P&W-C PT-6s and do a full glass cockpit.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Leave the 9 to 5??

Cover your ears @Wally_AMD and @Amber_AMD 😛 😛 ❤️

I love the track idea, I didn't realize you were big into racing cars.

----------

I think he's more into the 2 wheeled racing, if memory serves

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

You're correct. When it comes to racing, I'm more into MotoGP-type racing, followed by F1, followed by anything with wheels and an engine. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

And I didn't know you were into helicopters! 😎 

I'm secretly plotting to start taking lessons soon. It's expensive, anywhere between 5K to 15K here in Texas, but I'm committed. It's just one of those "I have to negotiate with my wife" thangs...

You? Have you flown a heli yet? 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Hahaha, my wife will probably ask me to wait until my kids are more grown up so if I have a not so good flying day things wont be as bad (Aren't wives THE BEST? #sarcasm)

Yeah I really don't know why - but I just really want to fly them. I always enjoy riding in them, but not I haven't had the chance to fly one yet.

My friend is a pilot who has a little Cesna and him and I have gone up a few times and he let me fly it (straight lol) for a bit but I dono, I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

You should ask @AFKG-Curtis - I always love flying Helicopters in the games we play.

----------
0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

Lemmesee....

1. Pay off the bills for me, my parents and sister.
  2. Buy a house
  3. Head to Germany for a few weeks to get my back fixed (they don't offer the procedure I need in Canada)
  4. If it hasn't happened by then, get my hips replaced
  5. Buy a new truck
  6. Hire a personal trainer to get me back into tip-top shape
  7. Get my pilot's license
  8. Buy an airplane or two (I'm thinking a small experimental bush plane and then an experimental low-wing to go fast in)
  9. Do some exploring
  10. Start a small business building custom gaming PCs and stream the builds on Youtube or Twitch
  11. Maybe a weekend of [REDACTED] and [CENSORED] for funzies
  12. Invest the rest and live off the interest/dividends
Performance over Pretty.

So, you want to be a pilot too? Yay! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

I've been an aviation geek since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I spent most of my teenage years in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, with the goal of getting my private pilot's license. Sadly, I didn't make the cut. I wanted to fly helicopters in the RCAF, after getting hooked on how awesome they were after my first fam flight in a CH-136 Kiowa (Canada's version of the OH-58A/C.) But when I was at the right age to sign up, I had bad eyes and not good enough grades. The RCAF didn't start taking pilot candidates who had corrective eye surgery until sometime around 2010. The Army had little interest in me and I have a healthy fear of open water, so the Navy was out of the question.

Now the goal is to get my PPL on my own time and my own dime and eventually build a kitplane. Problem is, I don't have enough dimes right now!

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I love this question and I think about it more often than you know LOL: 

1. Immediately meet with a lawyer and financial advisor. 
  2. Make recommended investments so the money can keep growing, to set up my family for the future to live comfortably. 
  3. Pay off all debts. 
  4. Purchase new cars. 
  5. Purchase a new incredible house with a little chunk of land. 
  6. Help our immediate family and friends. 
  7. Depending on how the conversation goes with the financial advisor, I would love a chef to come to our house and cook us meals LOL that is my rich dream. 
  8. And then I would love to travel with my family, and our dogs. And take them on some crazy adventures. 
Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
0 Likes

I never followed up to @Key-J 's rule... here's some pictures of things I mentioned 🙂 

• Purchase new cars. IF I could have any car.. and money was no object, I would probably go with a classic ford bronco for the weekends, and a jeep wagoneer for the daily drive 🙂  
    • Ford-Bronco-13_1.jpg
    • 2022-jeep-grand-wagoneer-608-1634750800.jpg

• Purchase a new incredible house with a little chunk of land. (Ideally would have garages and a pool though)  
    • 1-4094656217.jpg

• Depending on how the conversation goes with the financial advisor, I would love a chef to come to our house and cook us meals LOL that is my rich dream. 
    •  Aafkes-Blog-Photos-47.png

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

I spoke to your Financial Planner - they are cool with the Chef as long as they are invited for dinner every other month.

----------
0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

OK NEW RULE!

Everyone who replies, and those who have already replied but didn't do it:
@Amber_AMD , @Axxemann , @Wally_AMD , @GreatnessRD @jamesc359 

You HAVE to link to one "fun" thin you would buy, like a Yacht, Car, Helicopter, House, Coffee Machine, Cool Sword, Robot Butler .... whatever!

But you need to link to it!

----------

Sorry dude... I'm not allowed to post that kind of content around here. 🤣

And the Airplane stuff.... well, I'm kind of torn on what planes I want.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

I would buy an over-the-top Hi-Fi system in an acoustically treated listening room.

208great.1.jpgacousticroom.JPG

I've heard about these kind of rooms. Where experts come in and design the most acoustically perfect room - I truly wonder what kind of difference that makes to someone who just has a standard Livingroom 7.1 surround system.

----------

The McLaren Artura would be an absolute blast! It's second on my list though because you can't buy a new McLaren F1.

I'd love the McLaren orange, but the white one looks pretty snazzy too. (If I had just won the lottery, I'd buy a black, orange and white one. They can keep the green though. Never mind, one of each color is perfectly reasonable, right?)

0 Likes

id emigrate out of South Africa to wherever first

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Since I haven't posted yet, let me lay down the master plan that won't come to pass.

9.326.500€

I would immediately buy a old building (but ready to rent) in my city near the train station, 8 Apartments with a value of about 150.000€, so 1.200.000 spent but monthly return would be 5.600€. Busy suburban town 2km away from the capital city Lisbon. 

8 126 500€

To keep the money flowing I would then go after mid class housing, 4 good apartments at a fancy location. 4x 600000€  So roughly 2.400.000€, I'm not sure if these would get return soon but they are a much much more solid investment, maybe around 7000€ monthly. 

5 726 500€

Now its time to get a good house for me and give mine to my brother.

I'm not greedy, I wouldn't even leave my home town but I would get a good place with a river view.
Like the one in red but on the other side.

johnnyenglish_0-1685047742520.png

johnnyenglish_1-1685047761598.png

johnnyenglish_2-1685047823913.pngjohnnyenglish_3-1685048001916.png

3 226 500€

Time to get my Ford Puma fully restored to brand new plus a 2023 Ford GT to keep it company.

johnnyenglish_4-1685048348143.png

Leave work, get a studio for my hobby (Youtube) and travel a lot !!!!

If real estate business goes well, invest more to keep the cash coming.

Sounds like its ALL ABOUT IT! Easy right? 

The Englishman
Vynski
Exemplar

I would only invest in one thing.  I would buy all the land that I could get.  which these days $10 mill won't get you very far.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

@Key-J  I'm very modest to be honest. Simple stuff makes me happy. But I guess gun to my head, I did want a Genesis luxury car once upon a time. So I'd go with something like this as my "weekend" car. 😆

Genesis G70 2023.png