cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

What are some skills or competencies that you think are essential for succeeding in the digital age

I'm curious to know the community's thoughts on some of the skills or competencies you think are essential for succeeding in the digital age? is it one of those things where you need to keep up or do you think things will slow down? I know for me, learning how to use things like chat GPT has been essential in succeeding in a few things.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
1 Reply
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm sure this is intended for those of us who are still of working age.  Both my wife and I earned an MSEE that gave us exciting careers and ensured we would be able to retire at age 55 - which we did.  So, here's a list of the essential competencies that someone (of technical mindset) coming out of high school should strive to reach from my perspective:

Take a typing class and learn how to type.  Communication is essential and the better you are able to type, the faster you can get your point across.  

Read enough books or take a few classes to understand basic electronics and software design.   You'll be able to build your own computer (which is mostly plug and play now) and have an idea how many software languages are used to run the online interfaces you see with your browser on the Internet.

Try to complete certifications for your core competencies - software development, hardware development, etc.  These stand out on your resume when you apply for a job.

Have a good command of the English language.  The ability to write and speak will take you a long way, especially if you understand what you are talking about.  My biggest challenge was presenting a safety review to the crew of a space shuttle team that was taking our payload into orbit.  Sure, I was nervous and all, but I was able to get our company certified for this particular flight.  I am very proud of that and the flight was successful.

Always do your best, in every job you take on.  'Good enough' will not suffice in getting you up the corporate ladder.  People will recognize your skills in time and you won't have to promote yourself.  Your actions speak louder than words.  I know this from watching my wife's career progress, as she took on tasks that others were reluctant to do.  She got them done and the company recognized her talent.  She maintained composure under pressure and made command decisions when necessary - the right decisions, after listening to her team mates and reviewing the situation.  So, listening to others and considering their input / ideas are also essential to your success, especially when you move into management.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".