cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Axxemann
Forerunner

Steak. It's what's for dinner.

So I felt the urge to splurge and celebrate today. 

With my 44th birthday happening on the 20th (it's the 19th as I type this) I wanted to treat myself to a steak dinner.

With the arrival of an insurance settlement from a workplace injury coming in the mail last week and clearing on Thursday, I'm pre-emptively celebrating getting all my bills paid down.

So what does a guy do? Buy a REALLY GOOD STEAK.

I went into my nearby butcher shop in the hopes of picking up a Picanha, AKA Rump Cap, AKA Sirloin Cap, AKA The Queen of Steaks. Sadly, they had none. So I tell the guy that a nice ribeye will do with a sly gin on my face. After all, Ribeye is the KING of steak. He was sold out of those, too. But what he did have was some DRY AGED Ribeyes. I initially balked at the price ($45CAD per pound) but when he told me he was going to cut me a deal, given that I was celebrating two things simultaneously and as he put it: "You only turn 44 once in your life, so I'll cut a deal and 'mislabel' the steak." So instead of a $47 steak, I got it for $35. Then I saw a few more cuts that I love and have a hard time getting unless I order in advance from my local grocery meat counter. I walk out the door with about $120CAD worth of steaks and a few sausage links... and opted to throw the 35 day dry aged AAA Alberta Beef ribeye sourced from a ranch about 90 minutes east of Edmonton near Viking, AB on the grill for supper tonight. I had some of my LBP Mashed Taters done up for the side, and a Broccoli salad... but the reality is, I'm just feasting on this amazing piece of beef right now. I've barely touched the sides, and to be honest, they're not even interesting me anymore. Perfect medium rare, beautiful grill marks with an even crust (I know the crust is what really makes the flavor, but to me, grill marks are like tan lines. I like 'em. Others don't. I'll let you draw your own NSFW innuendo from there) and a palate cleansing locally brewed lager... HOO BABY!!! I'm in steak heaven! All this bad boy needed was some kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and some garlic powder. Didn't even bother with a butter baste finish like I do when I'm feeling fancy. 

So let me tell you, good sirs, madams, and everyone in between: If you like steak, do right by yourself and do a dry aged piece once in a while. So tender, got a bit of a nutty, parmigianno regiano type funk to it... and JUICY. SO. DARNED. JUICY. Even my cat was all up in my business trying to get a sample, and he's not a fan of people food. Good thing for him: He gets to lick the plate afterwards. I might really go all out for my 45th... and grab a piece of Wagyu. 

Sorry about the lack of photos. The sun is setting early these days now, and I was hungry. Just TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. YOU WILL NOT BE MAD.

Performance over Pretty.
24 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

Happy early birthday! It sounds like you had an incredible celebration with that mouthwatering steak. Dry-aged ribeye is truly a treat, and I can almost taste it through your vivid description. The butcher's special deal was the cherry on top of your day of double celebration.

As for the best steak I've ever had, it was a Wagyu ribeye I had at a small, family-owned restaurant in Jakarta. The marbling and tenderness were out of this world, and the flavours were simply unforgettable. I've had a lot of steaks in my life, but I feel like this was one of the first times that I was presented with a serious steak. Not your ordinary cut of grocery store beef. I was younger, so maybe there are some rose-tinted glasses here...

If you're considering Wagyu for your 45th, I wholeheartedly support that choice. Enjoy every bite of your steak and the year ahead! 🥩:party_popper:

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Axxemann
Forerunner

If I do the Wagyu next year, I'll be sharing with the whole family. That's supposed to be an EXPERIENCE. Not just a meal.

Performance over Pretty.
rtbh99
Challenger

would love to try dry aged steak someday 🙂

---
lets talk about rtbh99

Dude.. you absolutely MUST. It's a whole new level of steak feasting!

Performance over Pretty.
lowteck
Miniboss

steak-meat.gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

I prefer mine over charcoal. But that's never a bad method, either 😉

Performance over Pretty.
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Happy Birthday @Axxemann 😎

Sounds like you'll be eating good tonight! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Thanks, @Amber_AMD!

I ate great last night. And tonight will be no different. Mom's doing up a small prime rib roast for the family.

Performance over Pretty.
BigTacious
Adept III

I've heard really good things about Picanha, will have to try it.

5900X | Sapphire Nitro 7900XTX | 64gb RAM 3600mhz CL16 | x570 TUF WiFi

It's all true. It's easily my favorite cut. I used to be a die-hard baseball sirloin guy, but after trying picanha... I had to change my rankings. And after the dry aged ribeye... I have to change it again!

Performance over Pretty.
yurikokolev
Adept III

Happy Birthday... @Axxemann  enjoy your stake 😀

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 - AMD A10-7850K - 16Gb PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB

I did... Still in a meat coma the next day! 😄

Performance over Pretty.

last time i went to the restaurant i had one of these 

yurikokolev_0-1695246717472.jpeg

Ryzen 7 5800x3D - Powercolor RX6800XT Red Devil - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - MSI x470 gaming plus - Win10 - AMD A10-7850K - 16Gb PowerColor RedDevil RX580 8GB and also Phenom 9950 Black Edition 8gb Ram - HD7870 2GB
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Wow! Guys, it's about 9:30 am and all I wanna do right now is go to Carve American Grille for breakfast, thanks to you'all's comments, replies, and pictures!

@Axxemann Happy Birthday Dood! I would have done the same exact thing!  From the seasoning you've described to the dry-aged stake, and the side dishes...again, I would have done the same! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

I'll make you a deal, @Sam_AMD: If I ever make it down your way to Texas, we're gonna do a meatatarian breakfast RIGHT. Then we'll go on a BBQ road trip for a day. There's a few places in the Lone Star State that I really want to check out. Chud and LeRoy & Lewis are at the top of the list.

And if you ever make it up my way to Oil City in Canada's Free Western Republic... I'll treat you to some proper AAA Alberta Beef. Done up right, no less. Charcoal fired and nestled into some picturesque contryside in the FWR's heartland. And I'll even offer up some of the family specialty: Grilled Venison backstrap. Only thing to me that tastes better than beef. And fear not... It'll be the full spread meal, right down to my mom's home-baked German cakes and pastries!

And thanks for the well wishes, good sir! I had a great couple of days off. In fact, my boss even wished me a happy belated when I hobbled into the office today!

Performance over Pretty.

Happy Belated Birthday and congrats for coming to the dark side of good meats. There is just something for aged meat period either dry or wet aged. I prefer the dry aged though. I would save my money and get another good cut next year however if you actually are going to get a true A5 Wagyu and cook it the traditional way and not like a steak. It needs to be sliced thin and then seared really quickly and it is like butter in your mouth. It is awesome but just not cooked in full slabs anyway. I have had it both ways and the first time was at a Japanese restaurant here in Dallas years ago before it was as popular as it is now and was still like $100 for 8 strips and a hot rock. But I tell you it was melt in your mouth and great for sharing.

Most of what I buy as "fresh" steaks are already wet aged in their cryopac for around 7-14 days before they go under the butcher's counter. But once you get into that 28-35 day range, it starts getting good. But yeah... that dry age... hoo-momma... GRIZZ LIKE!

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Happy birthday @Axxemann !

My favorite steak cut of late has been hanger steak.  I served six of them at our family LAN party on Labor Day Weekend.  But now they have been hard to find.  It's not a lot of meat, but for $10-$15 per package, it's enough tender meat that pairs nicely with a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Bordeaux blend.

Hanger steaks on our grill.Hanger steaks on our grill.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Not a bad cut, either. I'm also a fan of Flat Iron.

Performance over Pretty.

"...a true A5 Wagyu and cook it the traditional way and not like a steak. It needs to be sliced thin and then seared really quickly and it is like butter in your mouth. It is awesome but just not cooked in full slabs anyway"

Good one! I'd forgotten about this, and will probably do it soon! Thank you!

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My wife Sandra enjoyed a Wagyu beef cut (7 oz.) last night at a Morton's Steakhouse in Crystal City (Arlington, VA).  She shared a few bites with me (since I am her husband and such) and it was the most tender beef I can remember tasting.  I had a 14 oz. dry aged NY sirloin cut and while twice the size, I wished I had ordered her 7 oz. plate instead.  

Wagyu beef is something you must try with a nice red wine.Wagyu beef is something you must try with a nice red wine.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

LMAO at this post. @Axxemann 

👍

ritayong
Adept I

Happy birthday looks like you had a great time!

Thanks! I did. IT. WAS. AWESOME!!!!!!

Performance over Pretty.