cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

New Desk?

I currently have a pretty sweet desk at 55 inches by 24 inches, and it has been great but I have room for another that could run along the wall to my right. Would you rather have two desks arranged like the image below, or would you buy a single L shaped desk? 

cpurpe91_0-1702336988490.png

I have roughly 55+24 inches length on one end, and 55 inches on the other to work with. Should I just buy the other desk and make a bracket to hold both together? I know my current desk is strong enough and the second would be the exact same desk just arranged up against the wall to my right, but the fake wood grain would not line up. My current desk would be flowing horizontally and the new one would be flowing vertically. I really like wood grain, even if it's just a plastic print on a piece of particle board. LOL

The goal is to put my server PC on the desk to the right freeing up space on my dresser or allowing me to buy a new dresser outright to replace the one I currently have set up like a TV stand.

Thoughts? 

My current desk: https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Jennifer-Collection-Rectangular-Computer/dp/B073R14H7Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp&...

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
6 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

The advantages favor the two desk setup you have planned.  With one desk your limited to that arrangement which you can't modify easily and space may not be in its future.  Where two individual desks can be arranged in multiple configurations.

Go with the two.  That's my suggestion. 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would go with the two desk solution, but I would have their inside corners line up, leaving an open square in the corner.  Why?  You could put a light stand in there, or better yet - both computers could sit on a 3rd table or stand in that area.  Gaining access to the computers could be done by going under the tables, or by pulling one table out a few feet when necessary.  On the plus side, it would be more symmetrical.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I wouldn't put the computers in an area such as that, because it would be a nightmare to access them when maintenance or repairs are needed.  My computer sits on a small table between the wall and my desk and even though I have access, it is difficult to work on the machine when upgrades, repairs, or maintenance are needed.  It is an area with no access at all because of the two desks.

I do like the idea of the light though.  A pole lamp would be great for that area. 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

I like the idea of having a little open space per your suggestion, BigAl... You could put a nice floor lamp or plant there for the space!

But really... @cpurpe91, why not just stack the desks on top of each other to form MEGA DESK! 😂

megadesk.JPG

I don't think I could handle that kind of power. The mega desk may be too much for me to handle. It would be the one desk to rule them all.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Haha, between the office and Seinfeld there is a meme for everything haha. 1 more vote for stacking the desks

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED