cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Do You Run an Anti-Virus App?

I've been installing Norton 360 (Norton Anti-Virus and related bloatware) on my computer builds for many years now.  I have two 10-device licenses that automatically renew and of course charge me the current retail price.  In any case, I haven't yet been infected with a virus or malware and I'm sure the application is part of the reason.  

What anti-virus programs are you running, besides Windows Defender that comes built into Windows?  There are several good ones, like Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, McAfee, etc.  I've used the free version of Avast in the past, but the free version basically dried up.  I certainly don't want a monthly subscription service, but does anyone go with that type of plan?

Windows Defender is much better than it used to be.Windows Defender is much better than it used to be.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
25 Replies
AgCN3
Adept III

https://www.f-secure.com/us-en/total

The best of the best.  Maximim protection, VPN, et al, and you won't even notice it's there.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

10 devices for $65+ per year, for the first year.  What is the normal renewal charge?  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Being that "Total" is a new product, it hasn't come up for renewal yet, for me.  When I was using their "Elements" endpoint protection, the renewal for it for 3 devices was $39.95/year.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Awol
Challenger

I use norton, comes free with my provider.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / Sapphire Nitro+ RX6900 XT SE / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Windows Defender and...

ned-flanders-homer-simpson.gif

The Englishman
PythonCoderPro
Challenger

Malwarebytes for a side scanner, and Windows defender for my main protecter.

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

A second question:  Has anyone been hacked or compromised on their computer, where it was their anti-virus or malware protection software that failed them?  Most people don't want to admit to clicking on 'click-bait' items but your security software should be protecting you from doing something stupid.

I've downloaded PUP software before which Malwarebytes detected but windows defender failed. Also downloaded some Malicious software which install a million other programs along with it. Never been compromised or hack though.

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home

That malicious software and it's related programs makes it sound like you were compromised.  Did you get rid of it and all the related programs?

Yep. Ended up resetting my laptop. The best way to remove that junk

Very sceptic by nature and I use a VM if necessary in a old computer on a protected network (different VLAN).

I am like this because I'm required to attend several cyber security lectures at work.

I've seen others being hacked and helped them, they get caught mostly by phishing scams/links.

Don't forget to protect your phone as well.

Run multiple virtual cards for your online shopping, Uber, Spotify, Amazon, GPay and whatever you use. Revolut works great and has an amazing control over them.

The Englishman

What's the best way to protect an iPhone?  Is there an app for that?

No specific app, just revoke access to all apps except the ones you fully trust.

There are a lot of games and utility apps that request access to gallery, SMS,contacts, web browsing and more.

I block everything and let my trustworthy apps request access again. Ok, maybe google maps I'll leave the GPS on.

The Englishman

Once i was using mcafee at the time. Picked up a lovely trojan horse and browser hijacker. Had to do a complete reinstall which was a pain but luckily id backed up all the really important stuff on an external drive a few weeks before hand.

Yes, Microsoft Defender on Windows 11.  Not secure.  I have since switched to Bitdefender because from past experience, Norton alters your Windows installation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do, and it's free...

CvPEOh.gif

hawkmanw
Adept III

I only use Windows defender. But I only go to reputable websites. I never open links from email etc. Haven’t had any problems for a few decades. Ironically I was using Norton the last time my daughter or niece was using one of my machines to look up lyrics I believe. I’m the only one that uses pc now and Windows Defender has worked well enough.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
ThreeDee
Paragon

Free Common Sense + Free built in Windows Defender + Free OpenDNS account + Free adblocker like Ublock Origin in your browser(s) = great protection that is light on resources

https://www.opendns.com/

Add OpenDNS's DNS servers to  your network whether it be in your router's settings or just on an individual PC and you can do category blocking and custom white/black lists

A lot of your infections come from ad servers. A known good server farms out space on their site for ads .. the ad server gets compromised and then BAM!

Windows Defender does a fair job of catching stuff .. run an "Offline Scan" IF you think something got thru and  is hiding out

.. the biggest one is probably just common sense though

Between those 4 layers of protection .. I can't remember the last time anything has gotten infected on my network

ThreeDee PC specs

The OpenDNS is a great tip. I've even made a video about it.

https://youtu.be/7TvTS-U-z5E?si=HTyrno9zHo5nuzJu

The Englishman
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I know it's probably not a good idea, but I just run the default Windows 11 one and I run Surfshark VPN all the time.

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
jaandoh
Challenger

I'm using Sophos, I use it on my Android phone too

Had it about 5 years now, renewal cost went up £5= each year

It's now at £46 a year for 10 devices

otacon
Adept III

I have Windows Defender on, but otherwise I have not installed an anti virus software since Windows 7. I run an ad blocker in my browser, with malware filters on it as well. In the past I only ever picked malware up through game mods.

Profunity
Adept I

As long as it isn't McAfee its so clunky and slow.

elina12
Journeyman III

Whether or not to continue using Norton 360 depends on your individual needs and priorities. Here's a breakdown of both sides to help you decide:

Reasons to KEEP using Norton 360:

Peace of mind: It offers good protection against malware and viruses, potentially preventing future infections.

Multiple device protection: Your 10-device license covers more than just your computer, providing wider protection.

Automatic updates and renewals: Saves you the hassle of manual updates and ensures continuous protection.

Additional features: Depending on your plan, you might benefit from extras like password management, VPN, and parental controls.

Reasons to CONSIDER alternatives:

Cost: Automatic renewals can lead to higher costs compared to free or less expensive options.

Potential performance impact: Some users report performance slowdowns due to Norton's resource usage.

Bloatware concerns: You mentioned dislike for "related bloatware," which can be unnecessary software bundled with the program.

Alternative options: Free antivirus solutions like Kaspersky Free or Defender with Windows 10/11 might offer sufficient protection, depending on your risk profile. In my opinion, you can use the AD WhatsApp App. Not anti virus app, its amazing app. 

Here are some steps to help you decide:

Evaluate your risk profile: Do you frequently visit high-risk websites, download unknown files, or click on suspicious links? If so, paid antivirus might be worthwhile.

Research alternatives: Compare features, pricing, and performance reviews of free and paid options like Bitdefender, Kaspersky, or Avast.

Experiment with free options: Try free antivirus software for a while to see if it meets your needs.

Consider disabling bloatware: Many Norton features can be individually disabled if you find them unnecessary.

Focus on good online practices: Regardless of your antivirus choice, practicing safe browsing habits is crucial.

Vynski
Exemplar

I don't know how many I've tried and finally just decided that Microsoft Windows Security is sufficient.  Keep in mind that I off the grid most of the day and am very diligent about the sites I visit.  I don't have anything stored on my computer that would benefit anyone.  If a virus scan reports any Trojans or spyware, I will just wipe everything clean and do a complete reinstall.  

The good hackers can infiltrate "ALL" of them in a very short time.  Don't let the protection companies tell you otherwise.  Sometimes, I felt like they were more invasive than the threat of hackers.  

That's my 2 cents.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes