Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

SubtleIQ
Adept III

ATTENTION Sorry for OFF Topic, but this is seriously important

FYI ATTENTION VERY IMPORTANT...

Scammers can and will use your real friends Facebook messenger account to scam you. I have spent the last couple of days talking to a scammer, and my Aunt, who I believed was my real Aunt. They never gave me a phone number to call when I asked. They only used messenger ( the main reason I do not like it, and rarely use it) . I finally got my real Aunt's number
and sadly informed her that her facebook messenger was actively being used to scam me while I was on the phone with her. Both facebook messenger conversations involved in the scam have been reported. Hopefully the scammers will be caught, and My real Aunt's account security can be restored.

Sorry for the sad news, but it's a friendly warning to be wary and mindful.

Michael Alan Horton
9 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I am so sick of people that want to scam others.  They hardly ever get caught and so it continues.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yep. Seems like they're getting even more sophisticated as time goes on, too.

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
0 Likes
ERZNowroz
Adept I

W8 hold on, are they hacking and scamming by getting other people's account? 

B/R,
ERZNowroz
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 GPU: GTX 1650 MB: B450 Mortar Max

A very common practice is to create a new account with the same name as someone else, and use some of their pictures.  Then they send out friend requests to all that person's existing friends.  It happens to my mom all the time. I think they target older people, and especially people who tend to post certain types of political posts or misinformation type of stuff.  So my mom technically isn't 'hacked'. Someone is just posing as her to get connections.  I'm not sure if they end up asking those people for money or what.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you for the heads-up! 

It's been happening to me too in WhatsUp! Meaning, for the past few weeks, I'm added to a Group where members are supposed to learn how to make real cash. I keep reporting the request - hopefully they'll get caught! As you, I'm sick and tired of these "tactics", especially when they target senior citizens, like my mother. She fell for one in the past and I've had to raise hell with Google and Facebook (Meta). 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
venaur
Elite

That's rather scary. Always be vigilant and never ever give away any personal info like passwords, money, account numbers, or the like to anyone, especially electronically like that. 

Just got back from a cybersecurity event, they are indeed getting clever by the minute, the speaker said one thing that got me thinking.

Today, its not much about hacking/computer skill, but more about being convincing and having a good set of soft skills that aid you getting inside the victims head.

The funny part, before the event, they've sent a text message with a link for "phishing simulation", 70% of the audience clicked on it. 

The Englishman

What really amazes me even today that a lot of people don't take basic steps like 2FA etc etc I know it doesn't solve anything but people refuse to it do because 'omg an extra step when I log in'.. and then they are back crying to companies and everyone about how they got hacked, all their money etc taken and its everyone's fault but their own.

People are so wrapped up in convenience that it over rules common sense.

But it's at the point where it's not even about clicking on a link etc anymore, it's just straight getting into your phone/computer directly.

Yep, @Nagrenol ! I totally agree. 2FA etc. is really just a tiny inconvenience compared to what could result without it. 

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
0 Likes