cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Any Guitar players out there?

I'm curious to know what other people are listening to and playing these days. I love hearing new music with good guitar sections. There are some pretty stellar players out there these days. Any up and comers I should check out?

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
14 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I dabble once in a while. I don't have the dedication I once did. Nowadays I just play some chord combinations, that I think sound nice. I couldn't memorize a song anymore to save my life. I know one song but that is because it is the same 4 chords in the same order in the same timing for the whole song. 

I do remember bits and pieces of other songs but I would need to consult some tabs to remember the arrangement of the bits that I do remember.

I used to play a lot of metal and stuff that was considered intermediate in difficulty, but I lost most of it after not having a guitar for around 8 years and neglecting to play during the time I have had my current guitar. That doesn't matter though because anyone can say "I used to be good" and play an easy tune like Old Town Road.

I feel like that older guy that gave me pointers when I was a teenager but couldn't play a lick to save his life. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I'm definitely feeling you there, That's the exact boat I was in about a year ago, and I still can't remember things well. I'm just praying the ability to remember songs will come back with repetition. Since then, I've early retired (44) and I have the time. Now, I am playing for hours a day again. Most of my life if I played guitar, it was metal. but now I'm getting into some of that old classic rock, and working on feeling aspect in the solos or leads, instead of blistering speed! It's amazing what a good bend and small run down the board does. I'm currently trying to tackle the 26 separate sections of "Sultan's of Swing" My daily listen is still Death Metal though lol

Ryzen 7800X3D - Radeon 7900XT - MSI Tomahawk X670e MB - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - Seasonic Focus V3 GX-1000W PSU - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
ThreeDee
Paragon

I too "dabble" as well .. I seem to  have forgotten more than I know anymore it seems

One of my favorites would be mid 90's KingsX .. their Dogman album had some real grooves on it

ThreeDee PC specs
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Awesome, Never heard of them! Cheers, I'll check that out!

0 Likes
Rubeerology
Adept III

Hey Mengelag - we shred and stuff for a niche of muscians/heavy metal audience on Youtube but as far as bands... just a bit of the classics : Death, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and new stuff like Pyramaze, Cauldron, etc.

Lately we've just been teachin' guitar via YTube Shorts (roughly 1k views per short) -  we did a blues lesson and a Dire Strait song (on Tabs) but we listen to alot of everything - let us know what you think of those bands! 

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Death! The godfather of thrash, Chuck was so talented RIP! I know all those bands. I've been listening to stuff like Be'lakor, Insomnium, Mors Principium est., Opeth, Black Crown Initiate, The Absence,  Kalmah, Moonshade, Between the Buried and Me and the list could go on! PM your YouTube channel so I can check it out! cheers man.

0 Likes
BAZAndreas
Journeyman III

Lately, I've been diving into the indie scene where there's a lot of innovative stuff happening. Some of these newer bands have guitarists who are pushing boundaries in ways that just resonate with me, you know? I’d recommend scouting Bandcamp. It’s a goldmine for discovering under-the-radar artists with some serious six-string skills.

Baltazor11
Adept I

If you're looking for in-depth reviews and discussions on guitar tracks across genres, I stumbled upon https://faqaudio.com/ not too long ago. It’s been quite a resource for finding new recommendations and understanding the nuances in their play. Definitely a spot worth checking out for any guitar aficionado.

0 Likes
Coreysan
Journeyman III

Check out the YouTube channel "Rick Beato". He's a professional player who interviews players from George Benson to Steve Lukather. He teaches, analyzes recordings, and plays separated tracks of famous recordings of steely Dan to Prince. Probably the best resource on YouTube.

Rick Beato is one of my favorite YouTubers! I wish I would have known about him 20 years ago! 

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

YouTube channel "Late night sessions with David Brewster" is a good topical study of a wide variety of different guitar players over the years

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

I did when I was a kid. Then my hands got huge. Then I started playing contact sports and breaking fingers. Now as I creep up on 50, I fear arthritis is setting in... That or it's Carpal Tunnel. 

Still enjoy the heck out of listening to a good riff, and mom still plays when her hands are good. She even picked up a couple of rock songs that I've been known to belt out at karaoke. That's where I really shine these days: I can sing. Been working on my dirty vocals for metal songs, but I'm pretty decent as a gravelly baritone singing clean, and can hit mid-range tenor, too.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I have no musical talent.  I tried to play the accordion as a kid, but I failed.  I still have it though, just in case my wrist arthritis (right wrist) and carpal tunnel (both hands) pain ever let up.  Until then, I listen to progressive rock like King Crimson.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

That's awesome man, wish I had a big range, definitely wish I could sing death metal vocals though.