Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomers Start Here

manueru
Adept I

CYPE Software problems with AMD adrenalin drivers older than 22.5.1

Hi,

My name is Manuel and I work for CYPE Software, a company that develops structural analysis software that runs on Windows. We developed an OpenGL 3.3 based rendering engine for our software in 2018 and everything worked fine with AMD drivers until version 22.5.1 (included). Since that version, our users are experiencing memory related problems. It seems the driver isn't releasing memory as fast as needed.

The problem arises sooner or later, it depends on the amount of vram of the system. I have carried out my test on both Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 7 with Vega Graphics processors, which are very common among our user's computers.  We had identified the problem recently under two different workloads:

1. The user open several programs of the suite. Usually after opening 2 or 3 models, the software crashes.

2. In a prerelease version of one of our products when opening a model with 50 MDI Windows (each window has its own OpenGL context) and different contents.

Using adrenaline driver version 22.5.1 or sooner everything works perfectly but with later versions of the driver, the software crashes. It runs correctly on NVIDIA GPUs independently of the version of the driver.  The latest version I have used for testing is 24.3.1 and it doesn't solve the problem. Currently, as a workaround, we ask our users to install 22.5.1 but this is becoming more and more of a nuisance for them as time goes on.

Maybe we are doing something incorrectly but we don't know what it is.

To test the use case 1 please follow these steps (I used a Ryzen 3 3200G with integrated Vega graphics with up to 2 Gb of VRAM, Windows 10) :

1. Go to https://bimserver.center/en and create a free account and log in.

2. Go to https://store.bimserver.center/en/app/18/cypeplumbing_sanitary_systems and download it.

3. Run the software, click on examples and open of them. Execute several instances of the software at the same time opening a different model on each one.

When resizing the application window the frame buffer could show some pixel corruption. With driver version 22.5.1 it doesn't happen but it does with more recent versions of it and it seems caused by the use of a frame buffer object that hasn't been cleared before a blitting operation.

Thanks in advance, Manuel.

0 Likes
0 Replies