cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Discussions

jabbathenut
Adept I

How to GPU Batch Render on Slaves with Different GPUs?

VRay has an environment variable (VRAY_GPU_PLATFORMS) that you can set on each render slave. VRay will look to this environment variable on a render slave to determine which GPUs are to be used when rendering on that slave. With such a variable, each render slave can have a different GPU configuration from other render slaves and the render client submitting the request. When preparing a render from the render client, you would set the render type to GPU and identify only the GPUs to use on the render client. VRay would then rely on the environment variable on each render slave to determine the exact GPU resources to use on that slave.

The documentation for Prorender Maya indicates that, when preparing a render from the render client, you need to select GPU and identify the GPUs resources to use. It does not indicate whether or not there is an environment variable to set on each render slave to identify the GPU resources to use on those slaves.

Given this context, my question really is...

How do I render on multiple render slaves that have different GPUs than the render client?

A generic response is to use Batch rendering. However, it does not explain how to do this with multiple machines that have different GPU configurations.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
gerador20
Adept II

Hi jabbathenut

I was able to confirm that we cant do this at this time in current plugin. I sent this information to the devs so maybe in future we can add this feature 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
gerador20
Adept II

Hi jabbathenut

I was able to confirm that we cant do this at this time in current plugin. I sent this information to the devs so maybe in future we can add this feature 

Hi gerador20,

Thank you. It would be awesome if the devs were able to do this! It would thrust Prorender into a whole new category. I am looking forward to it .

0 Likes