cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

Windows® 10 Driver Support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

This document provides information about Windows® 10 driver support for Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products.

For the purpose of this document the term “Discrete Graphics” refers to a separate and detached adapter that is the designated primary graphics controller on a system.

This document does not apply to Integrated or On-die Graphics such as those found in motherboard chipsets and AMD APUs.   For more information about Windows 10 driver support for APU graphics please visit: Windows 10 Support for AMD APU systems

The content of this article is organized into the following sections:

• Discrete AMD Graphics Products Supporting Windows® 10
  • Discrete AMD Graphics Products That Do Not Support Windows® 10

Discrete AMD Graphics Products Supporting Windows® 10

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 2.0 and DirectX® 12:

• AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 Series Graphics (R5 240 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 M200 Series and Radeon™ R5 M300 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.3 and DirectX® 11:

• AMD Radeon™ HD 8470 and HD 8350 for OEM systems
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 7670 and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7600M and below)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 6000 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series/AMD Mobility Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics

NOTE: If your graphics adapter is included on the list of supported products above, please install the latest AMD Catalyst™ Driver for Windows® 10 to fully enable its feature set. AMD Catalyst™ Driver can be downloaded from: http://www.amd.com/drivers

The following Discrete AMD Radeon™ Graphics products support up to WDDM 1.1 and DirectX® 10.1:

• ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics

These graphics products must be installed using display driver version: 8.970.100.9001. This driver is provided as a courtesy and only available via Windows Update. Please enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

NOTE: ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization on October, 2013. No additional driver releases are planned for these products.

Discrete AMD Graphics Products That Do Not Support Windows® 10

The following is a list of graphics products that do not have driver support Windows® 10:

• ATI Radeon™ X1### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X1### Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ X### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X### Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 9000 Series Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 8500 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7500 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ DDR Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000 Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000VE Graphics
  • ATI Radeon™ 7000LE Graphics

Windows® 10 will install the default Microsoft® Basic Display Driver (MBDD) for these graphics adapters. MBDD provides basic display functionality (low resolutions and color) on a single monitor but DOES NOT support:

• Display scaling control
  • Multiple displays
  • Display rotation
  • Video capture
  • Power settings
  • VSync control
  • Brightness control on integrated display panels
  • AMD Catalyst™ Control Center

If your system is equipped with an AMD Radeon™ X1### Series product or older, you may consider the following options:

1. Continue using the existing operating system.
  2. If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and would like to revert back to the previous version of Windows, refer to this Microsoft page for instructions
  3. Upgrade to an AMD graphics product that provides Windows® 10 support. For information about resellers and product availability, visit: http://shop.amd.com

NOTE: Before upgrading ensure that your system meets the requirements of the graphics adapter, such as

1. Motherboard with compatible graphics card slot
  2. Adequate power supply unit to handle the complete system power requirement
  3. Display with compatible connections
Labels (1)
Comments

Its still non-compatible with Windows 10. That is why you cannot use the features of Catalyst Control Center. That driver is provided by Microsoft, not AMD. It includes only the basic hardware and video support to make your system usable.

Never underestimate a customer

If you would check the link you provided, you'll find that the differences between WDDM for 8.1 and WDDM 10 are very small (if any) regarding the graphical capabilities of the GPU. So why is Windows 8.1 working and Windows 10 broken for so many people?

I came to this forum to find help and maybe to provide help.

I don't know, why you are here.

It's AMD who is not supporting Windows 10 for their "legacy" products.

No need to point to Microsoft, because other GPU vendors are obviously able to provide working drivers for Windows 10 for their "legacy" products.

So please be so kind to help to get people who can't exchange the GPU (like me) to get support from AMD for their Windows 10.

Or, if there's really a technical reason preventing AMD to provide such a driver (which I doubt), tell us about it. But please don't just add another general link and append "I assume the same goes for Windows 10 and ..."

TIA!

This thread is veering into a flame war.

There will never be a driver for Windows 10 for anything older than an HD500 series product.

if the sniping continues, I'll have no choice other than locking this thread.

I have a Desktop with a HD 4000 series video card using a driver provided by Microsoft because AMD didn't provid it. I have even played 3D games in this Desktop. This means that it is possible to use the video card with Windows 10 even AMD saying no.

I have a HP notebook where it is not possible to use Windows 10 because it has two video cards and I need AMD softwre to change between one and other, but as AMD didn't provide the driver their software didn't recognize the video cards.

I know the video cards are old and will not fully support Windows 10. That is not what I am asking for. What I want is to be able to fully use my cards capabilities in the new OS with aproprietate driver.

AMD staff is not very useful with their answers, or lack thereof. They do not seem to be willing to understand the problem on a technical level and only spread the official company statements.

Any AMD staff with constructive answers/solutions, or willing to report the problem to the people coding the drivers, please?

Will suitable drivers be released? If not, is there anything wrong with using older drivers, as they seem to work? No one was able to answer either question yet.

Thank you in advance.

Understood, however I think there's something of a grey area when it comes to "compatiblity".

My point is that the original statement regarding "compatibility" is factually incorrect in so much as this particular setup goes.

These two features are indicated as not supported:

• Multiple displays
  • Display rotation

... and yet in my particular setup they are available and demonstrably working. Given discussion on here it seems the distinction here is that Microsoft may support the functionality where there is no AMD specific driver support. Making that distinction a little clearer would seem to be useful as it certainly confused me.

I appreciate my posts first line was tongue in cheek but as noted I'm not interested in flaming anyone or arguing the toss about what is right or wrong here. My setup has some limited support on it and functions sufficiently for my work environment. That information is likely to be useful for someone who has a similar setup.

Suddenly today, my snipping tool is back working...thanking all the "gods" and whomever who made this happen...strange to be thanking someone for something they may have screwed up...but I am...HP Pavillion w/AMD Radeon HD 6520G...don't know if videos will now work yet, but am satisfied with just getting my snipping tool back...

My problems with using the snipping tool (very important in my laptop use) has "suddenly" disappeared...hoping my video playing problems will do the same later (sound works, video black screen)...I have an AMD Radeon HD 6520G in my laptop...

ROFL...... omg amarshall317, I would pay to watch and read your threads, they are hilarious........ way funny, I would send you a new card and put you to work writing....lol

Whilst we understand that people can get frustrated at times, it's never acceptable to attack anyone on this forum. Please consult the terms and conditions of the forum to ensure you do not breach the rules again.

• No disrespect – we have zero tolerance of intolerance, no matter what the reason

I will be deleting your post and locking this thread, temporarily, to allow everyone a chance to cool down.

Hello Amdmatt,

I'm sorry, if I attacked someone.

But could you please tell me, how I attacked whom?

Wondering...

Am 28.08.2015 um 15:34 schrieb amdmatt:

>

Community <http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/mQA/PDcDAA/t.1py/KqLMLYOtSBmxoAUaP_DNng/h0/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cYdOVzaiVMG-2FoD8hUwC7pIY91EvJLecyTRLOKF0S4caDkY8fOObLHO7q3AaTFmwoLg-3D-3D>

>

Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

new comment by amdmatt <http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/mQA/PDcDAA/t.1py/KqLMLYOtSBmxoAUaP_DNng/h1/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cbJ3j-2B0eUWl9tU6F5IXmJrI6IF7j0iLlGfWCnDJL-2BnT2QCxDnHoQoVEARJF5-2F0AtDVrsK3z2HiAWdLDnH7y9ID0-3D> View all comments on this document <http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/mQA/PDcDAA/t.1py/KqLMLYOtSBmxoAUaP_DNng/h2/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cWnlxG2dXjsOJFXPlYszVKB093it40wUOiu4N-2FX1Cyq8sj8s3RLEOs27nPuGPIWBTVedQVZZ8BX9TZ-2BfvHvyxsg2FEiGb5Y4WWmdjBf6YUk-2B>

>

It's okay, that was not aimed at you. Look at who i replied to.

Yes, it was targeted at me indeed, I had to heavily edit my message for it to be posted. I was blaming an AMD staff member for being sarcastic to customers and basically not helping, not doing his job.

​Oh well, I guess we should not expect a reply from AMD staff that would deviate from the official statement. Users will have to keep resorting to unsupported workarounds that actually work. At least you could promote the use of those older drivers that do work. Time will tell whether you release official drivers based on those old drivers that actually work. The statement that the legacy cards do not meet Windows 10 requirements is mistaken as the min. requirement for Win10 is not WDDM 1.2 but WDDM 1.0, and ther hardware does comply. You still do not answer either whether it is OK to use the cards with older drivers (like legacy 13.4, driver version 8.970.100.0) which bring full functionnality.

"Thank you" for your time anyway, but your answers are neither useful nor correct. I do not get why you would not help customers get decent support for their hardware under Windows 10. Older drivers bring normal functionnality (all supported resolutions, hardware acceleration, Catalyst Control Center, etc.) contrary to Microsoft's Basic Display Driver which is very limited in the supported resolutions and has no hardware acceleration.

Do something, help your customers! Is it not what you are supposed to do?

AMD Radeon™ HD 4000 Series products and older are not certified to support Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.2 or higher and therefore, do not have driver support for Windows® 10. There is nothing we can do to change this I'm afraid, these products were released many years ago when DirectX12 and Windows 10 did not exist. We will not be releasing a Windows 10 driver for these products for the reason above.

I'm afraid we cannot condone or comment on the possibility of using hacked or modified drivers, as I'm sure you understand. If you find something that works that's great, however please understand that we cannot support or help with any issues or questions that arise from using any hacked or modified driver which we are not responsible for.

Working drivers are stock drivers straight from AMD's driver download page, both 13.1 legacy and 13.4 legacy beta do work straight out of the box, at least for Mobility Radeon HD 4650, and probably many more.

No hack or modified drivers involved, unless applying a Win 8.1 driver to Win 10 should be considered a hack.

I hope this helps the many affected ATI/AMD consumers left behing by theif GPU manufacturer.

I hope your problems have been fixed...my problems on my 6520G have been fixed...I am assuming by W10 updates...I have now "turned off" driver updates on my laptop...

Hi Ray...would like your opinion of this...my AMD Radeon 6520G...both videos and snipping tool are suddenly working great...should I turn off the automatic driver update now?  I don't want to lose the "way things are working" I currently have...

Amdmatt, just to tell you what this means to me

Because the "old" PCs (mine at home and those of the company I work for) are usually forwarded to family members, friends, staff, social services, schools, etc. or the are moved to departments with less requirements in PC performance. These PCs are about 3-5 years of age - too old for professional daily use, perfect for alot of other purposes. Capable to run Windows 10: No question, if there are drivers available.

So driver support is crucial to do so.

For PCs, there are currently three relevant manufacturers of GPUs: AMD, nVidia and Intel

So, how long do they offer support? Currently, it's easy to check the availability for Windows 10 drivers for their products for mobile use (which is IMHO more relevant because it's typically unchangable):

AMD launched HD5*-Mobile in 2010

Intel's support goes back to 2012 (i3/i5/i7-3*)

nVidia's offers Windows 10 drivers even for the GeForce 8/8M series, which was launched in 2007!

(BTW: How can they do that, if you say, that's impossible für AMD's products older than 2010?)

Now it's an easy calculation, because the PC can be used together with the most current Windows-OS for 3, 5 or 8 years.

But that's a back calculation for the last years. How will I know, what the future brings?

To be on the safe side, I myself just decided to buy nVidia for the next 5-8 years, because not earlier but then I can evaluate if the driver support of AMD has got better for products I buy now.

For me alone, this might not affect you. But when I spoke with IT-colleagues and PC-tech-interested friends, I often hear, that the duration of driver support for their (mobile) PCs has a huge influence in their decisions what to buy. Most of them have their own story of a device working perfect, but remains unusable due to an OS-update and missing drivers.

So, maybe I'm not alone with my decision...

BTW: As far as I remember, the HD 4650 in my notebook was declared to be a HD 565v when I bought it, so in theory, it's a supported HD5*-product.

And when I compare the technical data from the AMD-wikipedia link below, a lot of HD5*-GPUs share the same model number (Mxx) and code name (RVxxx) with other HD4*-GPUs. Wonder...

Links:

AMD

List of AMD graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

supported devices are listed on top of this page

Intel

List of Intel graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intel® Download Center

nVidia

List of Nvidia graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NVIDIA Treiber Download

Hello, I have amd 280x

I´ve installed newest drivers. But on windows 10 this drivers are unstable it sometimes do "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". Are somewhere downloadable some beta drivers? With win7 all is OK...

I have Dual CrossFiredX 7870's and just rebuilt with a SanDisk 1TB SSD.  When it comes to everything except rebooting, they are running great.  Even better scores on TombRaider 2013... 93.7 average FPS (10 FPS average than before).

My gripe has to do with restarting speeds of Windows 10.  I get the initial startup screen for about 5 seconds, and then I get a blank screen, in which my dual monitors both go blank for about 30-45 seconds, and then finally I get the Win10 screen.  Considering I am running a Core-I7 (3770) and a SanDisk 1TB SSD, the 30-45 second delay in boot makes no sense, especially with a completely true clean install of Win10.  (And this doesn't happen from a cold boot.)

The only answers I have found so far, that I haven't tried, is that I need to switch back Catalyst ver. 15.7 in order to get rid of the slow reboot.  Yet, I can not find these one-off drivers from AMD's site.

And to be honest, I can put up with the extra 30-45 second delay in boot time if these older AMD drivers truly run that much slower than the current drivers (I don't want to reboot more than necessary.)    But after spending $400 on an SSD, I'm not too happy when my boot times are slower than when I was running with Win7 and a 1TB Velociraptor HD (the fastest normal hard drive).  So, I would really like to fix this problem

BTW, I have scanned the Event Viewer and fixed every problem, and those that are left seem to have nothing to do with a long boot time.

Fred

I have the 390x vid card and previously i had both win 8.1 on one ssd and win 10 on my other ssd in a dual boot configuration and windows 10 boot time was lightning fast, i couldn't believe how fast it booted, almost instantaneously. Next i reinstalled windows 10 without having windows 8.1 installed on the other drive . and it is now snail slow.

I have the z97 maximum VII Mob and im wondering if i changed the bios config, i cant remember, but i will see if i did and get back to you let you know.

I just updated to the Beta version of Catalyst 15.8 and my Restart problem has been solved.  Boot time is now about 5 seconds. 

I haven't tested the beta driver for anything else yet, so I'll wait and see how that goes.  But now I know for sure that my 30-45 second boot delay during Restarts were definitely caused by Catalyst ver. 15.7.1, and I can stop looking elsewhere for what was causing it.

For me, those boot times were caused by the Intel graphics driver. I have a laptop with an Intel APU and AMD GPU, and when i updated the driver manually from the Intel site, the problem was solved instantly. I was like "yay!"

Guys just updated my PC to Windows 10, downloaded latest Catalyst 15.8 Beta and drivers doesnt work, I also tried to install Catalyst 15.7.1 also doesnt work. Guys how to install graphics drivers? Or my card just doesnt suppert Win 10? My card is Radeon HD 5870

Ray can you let someone know the 15.8 driver on 2xFury X is having black screens on BFH and severe shadows problems in Batman Arkham Knight. Went back to the 15.7.1 and everything works fine. I also put a report in.

Asus Sabertooth  FX990 R2 bios 2501

FX 9590

16GB ram

1500W power supply

Win 10

Just in case you need specs. 

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure it gets to the right people.

Thanks appreciate it.

Hey Ray can you help? Just updated my Windows to Windows 10 and downloaded latest Catalyst 15.8 Beta, and driver for video card doesnt installs what should i do? My video card Radeon 5870

we are an ISV company which develops a Windows App based on DirectX 11

our application Works fine in Windows 8.1

We have so far proven the following:

In same hardware where Windows 8.1 works fine, when working with Windows 10, we have a crash in X64 AMD driver during application initialization.

This we have reproduced with two AMD models: Radeon 7970 and FirePro W4100, also different PCs have been used.

When we plug an NVIDIA GEFORCE 610, it works.

When we use a WARP device, it works, but of course it is not using AMD driver and software.

I would like to ask if it makes sense to work on a minimal reproduction scenario to deliver to somebody in AMD driver team.

José.

I would suggest you post your query in the Devgurus  space.

Thanks Ray_m, I will consider the next time.

We have just confirmed that the crash is not reproducing in the newer beta driver version (only available for Radeon), so somehow the fixing work has already been done by AMD team.

José.

De: ray_m

Enviado el: miércoles, 2 de septiembre de 2015 15:15

Para: José Prieto <j.prieto@preference.es>

Asunto: Re: - Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

Community <http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/zgA/PDcDAA/t.1q3/8WGW2nYCQImX-X4GmwT26g/h0/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cYdOVzaiVMG-2FoD8hUwC7pIY91EvJLecyTRLOKF0S4caDkY8fOObLHO7q3AaTFmwoLg-3D-3D>

Windows® 10 Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ Graphics Products

new comment by ray_m<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/zgA/PDcDAA/t.1q3/8WGW2nYCQImX-X4GmwT26g/h1/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cbJ3j-2B0eUWl9tU6F5IXmJrK50hnvtOdZppAHEQ8otVCG4Prcm-2FLfrEuBm8ksRIuFg1hEIQ9YjpzfZUbIXMm6d4A-3D> View all comments on this document<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/zgA/PDcDAA/t.1q3/8WGW2nYCQImX-X4GmwT26g/h2/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cWnlxG2dXjsOJFXPlYszVKB093it40wUOiu4N-2FX1Cyq8sj8s3RLEOs27nPuGPIWBTVedQVZZ8BX9TZ-2BfvHvyxsiRf-2FHEF0jNhIAy2O0iKRb4>

After the Windows 10 driver update my system seems to have considerably worse performance. With my Win10 update I noticed a decrease in CSGO (the game I play most) by about 20 FPS, but once the driver update I now struggle to get more than 80 FPS when I used to get 200+. I even clean installed Win10 just incase I had some driver conflicts and this has not woked. I have an FX-6300 and an R9 280x

LOL......I have a COMPAC laptop 2009. It was loaded with VISTA and upgraded to Windows7. It has the AMD HD 6250 Graphics in it. I upgraded to Windows10 and the video plays worked great till I upgraded the 15.7 AMD release. Every screen was green..My fix after much research here was the AMD 15.6 beta release for Windows 8.1 drivers.......My videos run great now....DAMN......

Would you be able to link me to those drivers? I can only find the 15.7

Sure but if it doesn't work just type in AMD 15.6 beta drivers in your browser............

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx             IT REALLY PISSED ME OFF AMD DID NOT DIRECT US to this link nor did they not tell us that 6000 and back graphic cards would not be supported........I will not download another update till I'm sure that these versions are supported.....And again ....DAMN          LARRY

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-S1

AMD A8-7600 Quad @ 3.1GHz

HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) @ 2133MHz

PowerColor Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3 OC

(AMD Radeon R7 Graphics + R7 200 Dual Graphics)

Omega 14.12 works well and I found no problems with it. I am able to keep a record  of my game sessions through AMD Gaming Evolved app.

I am able to play Dota 2 at a stable 60FPS, but on Dota 2 Reborn it runs variable 40-45FPS.

I was also able to run 3DMark's Mantle API test, it did have better draw calls/second when compared to dx11.

Beta 15.6 works very similar to Omega 14.12, this may be the most recent catalyst/drivers that only had some performance issues. I somehow get better performance with 14.12, running Metro LL Redux 60FPS, 15.6 gets below 30FPS though. It does not hang on anything using OpenGL, and games can still be recorded through AMD Gaming Evolved app.

With amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit the display driver stops responding and will eventually recover when running anything that uses OpenGL. I must then close the program through the task manager. I am unable to record my games with AMD Gaming Evolved app (sound is recorded, screen is green for the duration of the video and the display driver stops responding when trying to access it through Plays.TV) I also had a lot of black screen youtube videos.

Performance wise, using 3DMark Advanced, it seems to score slightly higher than when using Omega 14.12.

3Dmark's Mantle API test fails to run, dx12 seems to have better draw calls/second compared to Omega 14.12 mantle draw calls/second.

With 15.201.1151-150821a-188451E (15.8 beta) I am experiencing all the problems that exists when using 15.7.1.

I am able to play Dota 2 at a stable 60FPS, but on Dota 2 Reborn it runs variable 40-60FPS.

Performance wise, using 3DMark Advanced, it seems to score slightly higher than when using 15.7.1 (Currently the highest score with systems using similar hardware, not yet valid though as it is non-WHQL) With the feature test it is able to run the dx11,dx12, and 1st mantle api overhead test but not the 2nd mantle test.

It has been a month and I really want a fix for all the driver issues soon. I filled up www.amd.com/report​ a month ago when I was using 15.7.1, should I file another?

(I bought my hardware three months ago and I seem to really regret it now. The hardware seems to have enough power to run the games that I intended to play but the driver support seems to be really lacking.)

I own a Radeon HD 6950  release date 10/22/2012  No dx 12 support..   Thanks you AMD.. PFFFF

Oh Did anyone tell you guys at AMD that the GTX 470,, 400 series  which was release 4/12/2010 has got not only 4k enhancement but also dx12 support.

I wonder if Nvidia did that because the cards can be sli..  Oh wait can't a 6950 be crossfire.  Yah.. Thanks AMD for your support.  Wait wait wait...

I happen to own a 9 series the 9800 gtx plus.... An when I looked up its drivers it even got dx12 support...  Release date 2008... 2008.. wow go Nvidia..

Guess this is why I Bought a 9800, a 250gtx and 470 and 480 and guess I will have to sell off this rot of a 6950 and get me a Titan..

Yah.. Put Dx12 support on any card you support drivers for and if this 6950 isn't sold before you do that.. I might consider buying another card from amd.

AS for now, doubt it.

Just for the record, the 9800 series does not support DirectX 12. GeForce 9 series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DirectX 12 support depends 100% on the hardware and hardware that was released in 2008 just cannot support it.

I could have read it wrong. Or misunderstood something in the updated windows 10 drivers for the 9series card.. But even if it doesn't support DX12... It still sad a card of the 9 series says in the pdf it supports 4k.  I don't believe all that's on Wikipedia.  I may have misunderstood something in the PDF... or thinking because the 9 series is supporting 10, that it supports dx12.. and the NVidia performance page on these cards has not updated anything about dx. Or does it even say what it supports.  But hey it still has supporting drivers for 4k on a card made in 2008, that one of your cards made in 2010 didn't get.  So again no dx12 support just even more of a ridiculous decision by AMD!   As for the 9 series for 128 core card supporting Maximum Digital Resolution of 2560x1600. That's not bad. To even get this kind of attention just for high res even if It means SLI mode.. Well theres nothing to say. Just remember it got attention and it was made in 2008.

So what your saying to me by posting the 9800 doesn't support DX12 because it hardware. Your saying that Anything under your HD7000 hardware isn't made for it or can't handle Dx12.. Yet the HD6000 series can use tessellation? An that Cross Fire of these cards still can't handle dx12..  Yet the 448 core 470 gtx can hand dx12? http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-470/specifications.. This card was brought out same year AMD brought out the 6000 hd series!  The 480gtx only has 480 core and got same support.. They both have less amount of processing core than a 6950 HD card and Less memory on it.  How is they can support Dx12 and the 6950 can't?  SLI or crossfire.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/341.81/341.81-win10-desktop-release-notes.pdf

So is your issue 4K support or DirectX 12 support ?

And yes, DirectX 12 support is entirely dependent on the hardware, and only the HD7000 and higher series of products are capable of running DirectX 12.

I think the BFH crashing has something to do with turning on the VSR on the Fury Xs with 15 B8 drivers running mantle . I run at 2560x 1440 with the vsr turned on  and its crashing did not seem to have a problem at 1920x 1080. Went back to 15.7.1 and turned on vsr / 2560x1440 no problems. Figured I would try the 15.8 B one more time so I know its not me. Thanks 

Hi...I have a Radeon HD 6520G that was working initially on w10, then

wasn't working...tried installing catalyst to no avail...suddenly it

started working after an update of some sort and I blocked any further

updates to my graphics driver and life is good...so far...wish you luck!

ray_m​,  Why are you even asking me if my issues is with 4k support or Directx 12.  Your the Support engineer.  With your reply your telling me a Amd 1400 streaming processor card, the 6950 is junk.  Can't support Dx12.. AN it doesn't support 4k.   Doesn't that bother you.   It should really bother you because a 400 series NVidia card with 448 cuda cores can support 4k and dx12.    So your pretty much telling me that

1408 streaming processing and 800mz core. is junk.. 1000 more Processing than a 400series NVidia card.

If theres 1000 more processors on this card than nvidias.  What is a R9 Fury x.  I'm kinda scared to think about buying it if the 1000 more cores on the 6950 is junk. AN to me that's how I feel about my card now.  It sounds like it junk. That some 448 core card can rip it a new one with only 448 processing cores.   Sounds to me like AMD need to see if they can push the older cards to run it.  Maybe even try to push crossfire to push it.  But right now, makes me feel like I want to just stay with NVidia and Intel.

AMD should do a buy back and set a difference of margin on a R series for owners of working cards under hd7000 just to satisfy their customer base.  Like I said, this lack of support.  Fact I since I went to windows 10 my 6950 hd freeze playing diablo 3, my 470 doesn't. My friends 7000hd series card does the same freeze and it all over blizzard forums.  I surely not happy, nor is my buddy.  Seem to me like amd Is got a lot to deal with. Oh wait my Mother inlaws HP with a 7000 series and E1 apu doesn't even run good now.   An these bogus drivers you guys have out.. Get a move on and get a fix out soon please.

First of all, I take it that English isn't your first language.  The words "an" and "and" are completely different, and very annoying to get mixed up with English speaking people.  Granted, I don't speak another language, so I won't berate you about this, assuming English isn't your first language.  But I point it out to you for future reference.

But Secondly, why are you so dead set on bagging on video cards that don't support DirectX 12?  Not a single game has been released that uses the new API's.  A game or two, that uses DirectX 12, have a close to year end 2015 launch date, but the rest, and I mean just a handful, are scheduled for a 2016 release date.  Basically, having DirectX 12 capabilities means nothing for at least another year.  And, like Ray_M has said, this is something that is solely hardware based. 

So your accusations that AMD sucks because old cards don't support DirectX 12 is just asinine.  It is a hardware issue, and by no means did NVidia somehow know how to build their cards to support DirectX 12 seven years ago.  Granted, their software may be able to imitate DirectX 12 drivers to work with cards that don't have the correct hardware to do so (and I am only guessing at this possibility), but they definitely don't have hardware capable cards that are that old that can do something that wasn't even released when they were designed.

So if you want to complain about things not running on your system while using an AMD card, this is the place to do it.  And (not "An") you should give details about what isn't working, what specs you have, and what you have tried to fix the problem.

But bagging on the cards that you, obviously, don't understand.  This is not the place for it.  ...especially not this thread, which you have, basically, hijacked.

Hey Fmadden research gtx 470..   Old card same year made as the 6950.  Even says it supports Dx12.

But by your facts, by no means did Nvidia somehow know to build their cards to support Dx12.  An that's 5 1/2 years ago.

Feature Support

OpenGL

Bus Support

PCI-E 2.0 x16

Supported Technologies

SLI, CUDA, 3D Vision, PhysX, Surround, DSR, DirectX 12 <<hmm

SLI Options1

2-way

3-way

I guess they some how knew?  6950 or a 7000 hd cant even run a simple game like Diablo 3 without freezing right now and the 15.8 beta drivers don't even fix the issue.

Yes, an old GTX card may support DirectX 12, but that by no means says that it can take advantage of it.  It's like saying a Ford Fiesta supports using high octane gas, but you'll not see any advantage in using high octane gas.  Meanwhile, with a Corvette, there is definitely a performance advantage when using high octane gas.  So, it would seem that AMD is being a little more honest about their cards when they say they don't support DirectX 12.  Because many people with cards older than the HD 7000 series are running Windows 10 and still able to play games, which is to say, that these older cards, technically, support DirectX 12.

But you missed my entire point of your posts.  DirectX 12 support has no bearing on you not being able to run Diablo 3.  It is not a DirectX 12 based game.  So stop complaining about DirectX 12.

But, you should complain that Diablo 3 doesn't work.  And if you bring this to AMD's attention correctly, they may actually fix the problem.

I just upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago, so I haven't reinstalled most of the games I own (I did a clean install on a new SSD).  But I can tell you that with my dual CrossFired 7870's, I saw a 10 fps average increase with Tomb Raider 2013.  Plus, Life is Strange and The Talos Principle run great.  If I owned Diablo 3, I would try it just to see if I had issues too, but I don't.  My point being, that HD 7000 series cards seem to run great for games with 15.7.1 or 15.8 Beta drivers.

As I mentioned in a post far above, the 15.8 Beta drivers fixed my 30-45 second boot delay problem when Restarting when using the 15.7.1 drivers.

To start  I see you know nothing about octane and what it actually is.   As I said, do your research before you say anything just as you like talking about the video cards.  Look up myths about octane..  To educate you on octane, They are hydrocarbon that add only one performance enhancement and by no means is it power based.  It is added to fuel to prevent engine knock.  The higher the octane the higher the compression it can withstand.   An it also is very very very bad for the environment.  If you did or looked into racing you will noticed most racers use methanol base or ethanol.  Now I know that Ethanol is added to fuel to raise Octane it self. Now doesn't that bite  yah.. Ethanol added to fuel to increase Octane, which you think actually is performance helping.  But Ethanol being alcohol fuel. It actually is good and performance helping.  It Burns a lot cleaner than any gas, anything even 93 octane with gas in it. Still burns the same amount of pollution as 87. Because it is refined with oil.  But I'd like to refer you to diesel fuel which also is high compression fuel as would be 89 or 93 octane.

An I don't know what you read.  I Didn't say Dx12 had any bearings on running Diablo 3.  I was saying the new drivers for windows 10 that amd has out, does not fix any issue that it has with games failing on people and trust me it is a lot if you get on Forums.   Your playing Tomb Raider 2013.. Hmm... I guess you have never seen a game progress or

switch into a new era of direct x  Like I have.   If by any chance a game manufacture decides they want to implement Dx12 into any of their games or revise it at any point.  A 400 series Nvidia card is able to use dx12.

But I guess you have missed the point in my argument about how the 400 series is a low-end card than your 7870 oh wait those support DX12.. Lets go back to the 5000 series where some cards have 1600 streaming processors.  The engine pretty much of the card that does all the work.  Some having 2g of memory.    Now a computer will not work with out its processor  and when certain things are applied higher hertz, more cache and wait  More cores as intel has since the start of the I series.  Amd also has CPU with more CORE giving the ability for them to process more?

Now a 6950, the card I own has 1408 streaming processor.. An if you look up streaming processor it is pretty much the same as cuda core. They just both name them different.

You now have crossfired to 7870's which will improved your Dx12 performance just as I could probably buy 2 more 470's and Sli all 3 and get performance up for Dx12 too.

So now my Octane friend-  the Corvettes come with a 5.7L or a 6.2L V8 (we will say that's the 6950 with 1408 processing ability)  An the 470 will be the little ford (470 only has 448 cuda core) .    Now please inform me how the hardware which is 1408 cores(8 cycl)  can't handle dx12 over the 448 core(4 banger).   As in cars we add more cylinders which add more performance(GPU,CPU)  Than we add things like Turbos (memory) 1 does nice. but 2 (64 gigs of ram) does better.  Anything given the time to be Tuned or fine tuned can end up in a Ford Fiesta out running a v8.

I am not bashing AMD,  I feel as they are downing their own tech.  Without much proof to the consumer why that tech is so bad in supporting whats to come.  But this is just how I feel.  An if there wasn't much testing on it.  maybe it can be done in the future.  Not everyone can run out right now to purchase new cards if they like the Dx12 games to come.  An as I stated to a friend, if 1 game is out already.  More will follow,  Just as in the GPU world.   On company brings out tech, the other has to keep up. Same goes with the game, cars and most anything you can think of.   An not everyone has 200 or 600 dollars to piss away on a graphics card Or they already have. An this happens.

This is really just a reply in general about the fact AMD is not supporting or making drivers for some of the (not really that old) old cards, my AMD cards are the HD 7700 series....both cards having 2gigs GDDR5 memory, I ran two of my fav games very well under Windows 7Ultimate 64bit, updated to Windows 10 64bit Pro, and my two games started to lag way down and would shut down after a few minutes of play with the video driver has stopped working message, also Rapr/Gaming Evolved would not work either. I un-installed Windows 10 only to find that the new drivers and gaming evolved still did not work under my windows 7 re-install, had to roll back to the older driver/cat and gaming evolved stuff.........but now the games run with a lot of lag. I have found a really good fix for the AMD driver and poor performance issues, I purchased two New Asus nVidia GeForce GTX 980 OC Edition 4gb memory each cards.......will use in sli like I did the AMD crossfire setting, These cards support Windows 10 and  DirectX 12 & OpenGL 4.4 support too......... this will for sure solve problem with AMD video cards....no bashing, just the truth, straight and forward as it is....no AMD support, I no longer support or promote AMD video cards.... thank you, a lot of you had some very good points, some had similar problems, I really hope all goes well for all of you....happy gaming and happy life...

Daniel

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎08-11-2015 10:56 AM
Updated by:

Contributors