Adept I

Video TDR failure [Rx 5600 XT]

Jump to solution

I recently upgraded my pc.

At first I bought: 

B450 tomahawk max

Ryzen 5 3600X

Corsair 3200 8x2 16gb ram

and used a old video card from a friend rx 570 8gb.

I recently bought msi radeon rx 5600 xt mech oc 

When I play video games like: Call of duty, Destiny 2, No man sky or just browsing on start screen I can get a chance that my screen will stutter a bit following up by a black screen.. I still hear the audio from the game or discord.. after that it will stay that way and I have to hard reboot or it will go to blue screen with stop code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE. What failed: Atikmpag sys.

I'm not the best in computers software or doing bios updates.

I know my b450 tomahawk max has the recent bios included on the package. On msi live update 6 it says motherboard version 3.40

I updated windows 10

I updated drivers with radeon software (current version 20.3.1.)

I updated manualy the rx 5600 xt mech oc msi driver with msi live update 6 current version: TV381MH.822

I reinstalled windows 10.

So sometimes I can play for an hour or more and sometimes i get this black screen after 5 minutes.

Is this a common failure with rx 5600 xt or is it something else? I know people had this in January and februari 2020 so maybe they fixed it? 

Greets Yorick

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Video TDR failure [Rx 5600 XT]

Jump to solution

Hey it stopped thanks to that. I switched to 20.2.1 driver and now to new one 20.4.1. Still no issue.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I have had similar issues too with 5700XT, not as often as you - random black crash followed by stuttering and system hang, system freeze while pausing gameplay (this one really hurts), etc.  In my case

• driver reinstall with https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601  helps that it is not necessary to reboot, application just crashes (and does not take down OS) and it is possible to kill it from task manager
  • disabling freesync helped a lot - since then no crash yet - I hope AMD is able to solve this issue, because freesync is main reason I bought AMD card

AMD bad reputation related to drivers quality is fully deserved, previously I owned only Nvidia cards and Nvidia sorted these driver issues 10 or more years ago. Such instabilities are unacceptable.

I believe these issues are driver related mostly, not faulty hardware.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I guess your right about driver related issue. 

I don't know the problem so I don't blame them. 

Will /bow for software team if they fix it soon if its driver related that is.

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

They will fix it if people tell them via report form AMD Issue Reporting Form 

I read release notes for recent Adrenalin and they think that they fixed some issues, but it is not the case (e.g. with Doom Eternal which I am playing). But you must report these issues via form otherwise they will not know.

Second source of issues is defective PSU, but I suppose it is not your case, because rx 570 works fine and it has similar power requirements?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

You have to downgrade you drivers to Version 20.2.1. The Version 20.2.2 and 20.3.1 are creating a blackscreen when running games. When downgrading to 20.2.1 choose option "Factory reset" in the amd adrenalin 20.2.1 Driver Setup. Try it...worked for me.

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I use 5600 XT. Got newest PSU so no

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Can you try disabling hardware acceleration in Discord and any web browsers and let me know if that stops the issue?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Ok I did that will try if it works

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hey it stopped thanks to that. I switched to 20.2.1 driver and now to new one 20.4.1. Still no issue.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Glad to hear that.

You can try to enable hardware acceleration again in 20.4.2 in each app one at a time and test for some time to see if the issue comes back. Try to narrow down which app, if any on 20.4.2, if still causing it.